No-show coworkers

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmGirl10

Reaction score
:mad: :mad: :mad:
Once again one of my coworkers didn't show up to work....on a busy day!!! Unfortunately this always ends up biting me in the ass, as i have to stay late to cover for her so the owner isn't stuck there by herself. :bang: Of course that means more money in my pocket, but two of the girls are moving away so that means we will be understaffed. So its not like the boss can afford to fire her (i know she is getting a 5% shaved off her commission for this but that doesn't seem to be enough) So i guess until things get under control i will be working 11 hour days at the salon. :? :dunce:

Yeah know what you mean. One of mine didn't show but she had a good excuse we have an illness running through the place and everyone is sick.

I hate seeing mine walk in late, sneaking out the back for a smoke and sitting there doing nothing.
Really bugged me today. Had 2 sitting at the till's pretty much doing nothing while I stocked everything. I have the illness too and felt like sh*t! I had customers telling me to go home, but that would have left one of a lazies there, so I stayed.
Scheduled to work tomorrow, going in and hoping I at least have my voice back! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Maybe i have just had to sell to many of my cows to get by when other work was and still is slow. but if i was you i would be very happy to have the job

I luv herfrds":322ua7gb said:
Yeah know what you mean. One of mine didn't show but she had a good excuse we have an illness running through the place and everyone is sick.

I hate seeing mine walk in late, sneaking out the back for a smoke and sitting there doing nothing.
Really bugged me today. Had 2 sitting at the till's pretty much doing nothing while I stocked everything. I have the illness too and felt like sh*t! I had customers telling me to go home, but that would have left one of a lazies there, so I stayed.
Scheduled to work tomorrow, going in and hoping I at least have my voice back! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Lol, since I started this job i had to leave early three days because of being sick. Sharp objects around peoples heads when u have already fainted once that day and are still very lightheaded is a dangerous mix. Ended up at the hospital with the doctors running lots of tests on me to see what was wrong with me. Tried to work everyday but ended up getting sent home each day. Flaky and lazy coworkers get annoying and its getting progressively worse since the boss knows i will stay late to cover for her so the people don't get into as much trouble as they would normally.

denvermartinfarms":322ua7gb said:
Maybe i have just had to sell to many of my cows to get by when other work was and still is slow. but if i was you i would be very happy to have the job

Oh I am very happy to have the job. But my husband is deployed to Afghanistan and since i started this job I don't get to talk to him near as much as i used to and me having to stay late to cover for other people cuts into us getting to talk. Which becomes extremely stressful to both of us. I haven't seen him in over 7 months at this point and I get to see him in the relatively near future and i have already talked to the owner about time off, which I will get. But I can already see me getting called in when im supposed to be spending time with my husband because of no shows or everyone else suffering cuz people wont show up. Its not an easy situation, right now I'm trying to find a happy medium between talking to my husband and staying late to help my boss out and to make more money. I've worked more days than i have been supposed to so my coworkers could spend time with their families, I just really hope i get the same respect when the time comes around for me.

it seldom changes.....
if a boss lets slackers be slack, they (the bosses) never seem to summon up the courage to be good bosses and always end up taking advantage of those who will work.

Most bosses today either don't have the courage or the discipline to be supervisors and no one wants to be the hard ass. Every one wants to be a buddy and then when push comes to shove and something has to be done they go too far.

A good boss is seldom a buddy to the employees. has to be a boss first and a friend second. It can be done.

In another life I worked a bunch of folks. hired a guy once and he told me later that at the interview he was not sure he wanted to work for me but after a couple of years he told me I was the best supervisor he ever had. Poor guy has been dead from cancer for over ten years now.

Just be happy that you get to talk to him at all. It used to be that we only got to call home once every 60-90 days when we got back into port. Makes for a long year, especially since we only got mail once a month or so.

pdfangus":1t6l49j5 said:
it seldom changes.....
if a boss lets slackers be slack, they (the bosses) never seem to summon up the courage to be good bosses and always end up taking advantage of those who will work.

Most bosses today either don't have the courage or the discipline to be supervisors and no one wants to be the hard ass. Every one wants to be a buddy and then when push comes to shove and something has to be done they go too far.

A good boss is seldom a buddy to the employees. has to be a boss first and a friend second. It can be done.

In another life I worked a bunch of folks. hired a guy once and he told me later that at the interview he was not sure he wanted to work for me but after a couple of years he told me I was the best supervisor he ever had. Poor guy has been dead from cancer for over ten years now.
A lot of wisdom in what you say. :tiphat:

FarmGirl10":q1ybhlgg said:
:mad: :mad: :mad:
Once again one of my coworkers didn't show up to work....on a busy day!!! Unfortunately this always ends up biting me in the ass, as i have to stay late to cover for her so the owner isn't stuck there by herself. :bang: Of course that means more money in my pocket, but two of the girls are moving away so that means we will be understaffed. So its not like the boss can afford to fire her (i know she is getting a 5% shaved off her commission for this but that doesn't seem to be enough) So i guess until things get under control i will be working 11 hour days at the salon. :? :dunce:

This all seems to work in your favor, if your goal is to cut hair for money. It's a hard job, no need to do it for nothing. Not sure what the boss is into, but you'll get a chance to take that place over in the not too distant future. If not, it doesn't take a lot of $ to start your own place. I think it's all flowing your way.

It really screws up my week when someone doesn't show up for work . I haven't missed a day of work in over 15 years . At either of my jobs . That's with 2 kids being born a dad with a transplant surgery and being sick . I still go I've worked 46 days in a row so far with out a day off . I need to go fishing lol .

Well not fun being a cashier and not having a voice. The customers understood and got a kick out of my little signs, such as "How are you today?" "I've lost my voice." "Have a great day!"
My co-worker today was great. Even though we both normally never take a break on a Sunday shift she understood when I told her I needed to sit for a couple minutes.

That is a good point pdf. Sounds a lot like my bosses unfortunately.

Luckily I got us a new coworker that is starting on Tuesday. :) So things should be easier for us now and the boss is really happy because she knew the girl applied for the job because of me.
john250":dhzzn638 said:
This all seems to work in your favor, if your goal is to cut hair for money. It's a hard job, no need to do it for nothing. Not sure what the boss is into, but you'll get a chance to take that place over in the not too distant future. If not, it doesn't take a lot of $ to start your own place. I think it's all flowing your way.

Luckily the boss really likes me, I'm assuming its bcuz i always show up on time (well early), take later lunches when needed, and stay late when other people need to leave early or don't show up. I guess the farming work ethic has followed me to the salon too. Dont think I will be able to open my own for a long time (being married to a soldier, not knowing how long we would stay somewhere)

JSCATTLE":3f0nmhdy said:
It really screws up my week when someone doesn't show up for work . I haven't missed a day of work in over 15 years . At either of my jobs . That's with 2 kids being born a dad with a transplant surgery and being sick . I still go I've worked 46 days in a row so far with out a day off . I need to go fishing lol .
Yes you probably need a day off soon, no point in running yourself ragged.

I've even picked up extra days so others could do what they "needed" to do. I don't mind for the most part, i just like to have a warning. I guess its paying off though, I already have a standing job offer in another state if my husband gets stationed there. And i know my boss would give me a really good recommendation if I ever put her down as a reference.

Latest posts