No Math Skills

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullbuyer

Reaction score
I've probably ranted about this before but I get really irked by the lack of math skills at retail stores.
I head through the chute at a national chain restaurant this morning - order comes to $4.64, so I give the clerk a five and then I said "Hey, wait a minute" and I gave her four pennies. She had to go to the manager - type person and get a calculator!!!!
Am I the only person that finds this lack of math skills alarming?

At least I did get the correct change...

I will tell you,as I was a casher, sometimes the brain just shorts out :oops: You did get your change..Does anyone remember"new math"? Might have got one schooled in that :lol:

I know how you feel. Recently I was at a store and the total came to $6.25. I gave the lady 10.25 and then tried to give her another dollar, so she could give me back just a 5 dollar bill. She was having none of that. Apparently she was afraid i was scamming her somehow or something like that...i dont know. I left in amazement.

*Cowgirl*":3riai93l said:
Just go outside and scream loudly. You'll feel better. (did the girl look like this:http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26719

Tried the screamin' thing - didn't really help much, got some strange looks though. 'Fraid the girl didn't look much like that picture either, she sort of looked like maybe the offspring if you combined the DNA from Billy Bob Thornton, Shrek, and Janet Reno. She was the "before" picture in a lot of ads!!!

Local businessmen complain that kids can't do math and then put them on a cash register where they push the button with the picture of the cheeseburger, the bag of fries, and the BIG soda. The machine tells them how much the customer owes and they enter how much the customer gave them. The machine tells them how much change to give back to them. And he (Mr. Business Owner) wants to blame it all on the schools!

fit2btied":2pi97x97 said:
Local businessmen complain that kids can't do math and then put them on a cash register where they push the button with the picture of the cheeseburger, the bag of fries, and the BIG soda. The machine tells them how much the customer owes and they enter how much the customer gave them. The machine tells them how much change to give back to them. And he (Mr. Business Owner) wants to blame it all on the schools!

:clap: :clap: :clap: about time someone has seen it is not the fault of the teachers. Children are not using their brains to do Maths anymore, they are given calculaters in the classrooms to do their sums on, or computors, it is the age we live in. unfortunatly, if all the machines went down we would all be stuck up the creek without a paddle.

I have always been good in math. Well, atleast in subtraction. Every year I have no problem figuring how much I lost! :lol: :lol:

fit2btied":15iujfkb said:

I was talking to a cashier years ago and asked her what she would do if the power failed...she said they would close the store. She was right. I was in the store months later and the power went off...they closed the store. They could not do business since the cash registers would not work.

Bullbuyer":bj5zuv2b said:
Horticattleman":bj5zuv2b said:
Amazing how some people have no math skills. Anybody knows that if the total is $4.64 and you give her a five and four pennies, you should get $1.13 back!

That's what I told her!!

If your bill comes to $5.17 and you give them $10 and a quarter out of your pocket, they get fighting mad. Had a guy in California thinking I was trying to cheat him. So I took the quarter back. He laid the change on the counter and I put the quarter with it and took 8 cents. Then I asked for a $5.

Funny thing is all he had to do was input $10.25 in the cash register and it would have said $5.08 change due.

I guess kids these days running the cash register really like customers with debit cards :lol: :lol: :lol:

Horticattleman":1c8cdls3 said:
Amazing how some people have no math skills. Anybody knows that if the total is $4.64 and you give her a five and four pennies, you should get $1.13 back!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

nrs farm":2a0u9957 said:
fit2btied":2a0u9957 said:

I was talking to a cashier years ago and asked her what she would do if the power failed...she said they would close the store. She was right. I was in the store months later and the power went off...they closed the store. They could not do business since the cash registers would not work.

What goes out of the store is reordered by computer/cash register...If enough is shoplifted,there will be empty shelves..

Latest posts