No horses

Help Support CattleToday:

Look for odd little mounds of dirt,twigs and leaves. The males make them to mark their area.
Cat track is pretty unmistakable but remember they walk most of the time with claws retracted enough that it doesn't show up in the pawprint.

Canid_vs_Felid_Tracks_164596_7.gif

thanks greybeard....the drawings are useful....I have copied and kept them.
my friend who has seen them and followed a calf drag to the swamp where he found the calf partially eaten and covered...he saw tracks there and said they were big enough that no one would confuse them with a dog track.

the heel pad thing is something I did not know....

Jogeephus":1c77htc0 said:
I know three DNR biologists that need to look at that.

Jo They can look at it and understand it but will always say it was a Black dog even though you and I know what it is.

I ride a molly Mule named Ruth everyday. She has her own straw lined stall she stays in when she's not working. She's no trouble at all. I just keep her fed and watered. When I run out of feed and water, I just go to the getting place and buy "Oil and Gas" and maybe new rubber shoes. LOL :lol: B&G

Black and Good":141igbu1 said:
I ride a molly Mule named Ruth everyday. She has her own straw lined stall she stays in when she's not working. She's no trouble at all. I just keep her fed and watered. When I run out of feed and water, I just go to the getting place and buy "Oil and Gas" and maybe new rubber shoes. LOL :lol: B&G

I love mules....
my riding buddy has a gaited mule out of a Rocky Mare and I ride her more than I ride my horse.

Cats are fairly common here, since I live right next to a National Forest. My nearest neighbor has some kind of state permit, and until late last year, kept 2-3 in a secure pen at his house.Males and females. The game wardens would occasionally bring him one that was injured or one they had taken from someone that no longer wanted it, had no permit, or had abused it. He lives across the river from me, and 3/4 mile as the crow flies, and male lions often came to his house because he had the females there, and they cross my property. I learned a lot about lions from him--he's the one that showed me the little mounds the males make and how to recognize their tracks and scat. He also told me it's rare to see them in daylight, but on the worst weather nights imaginable, they'll be out and about.
I had 2 encounters with them since 2006.
I lived at first in a small house on the front of this property while I was cleaning the place up. Late one evening, I was sitting in the little yard, which is less than 100' from the National Forest line. It was drought time, July or August, hot as hades just getting dark, and not a hint of a breeze and I was trying to cool off at the picnic table with an adult beverage. Dog was with me. I happened to look up, and there walks a mountain lion right down the power line easement that ran between the house and the govt land. I reached down, grabbed the dog's collar and watched him walk along till he went behind a stand of cedars. I got up, went in the house and picked up my spotlight and SKS, walked out on the easement and didn't see him, but a few seconds later, he came up from a little pond, turned on down the roadway and I let him go one his way. I could place my closed fist in his paw print and started building a 6' chain link fence around the yard the next day.

A couple years later, my wife decided we need to go for a walk around the perimeter of our whole place--this was before I had it cleared but I had just bushogged the fencelines the day before. I got a flashlight, got the 2 dogs and we had went about 2/3 way toward the river when we heard that high pitched scream followed by the little low deep growl they make. Both dogs came scampering back into our light
and I told citygirl wife to grab the back of my belt, hold on, don't look backand don't slow down. She said "wasn't that a screech owl"? 'Not hardly, that was a lion, lets go!'
We were completely unarmed, 1/4 mile from open ground and the house.

They make an awful racket when mating. One night in Feb 2007 in the midst of a bad storm, wife and I were laying in bed and from across the highway came a noise that for all the world sounded like a man having the flesh torn from his body. It went on for 30-45 minutes and I really wanted to walk across the highway and see what it was, but deer season had just ended and I don't have a hunting lic--figured sure as I walked out on that road with a light and rifle, the game warden would come down the highway and I would never be able to convince him I wasn't spotlighting deer. The same neighbor told me the next day that he had heard it as well and it was males mating a female, and it's she that was doing the screaming. It was an awful noise and truly sounded like someone was dying a little at a time.

I've never lost any stock to them but my sister did a few years ago--2 calves a week apart. There's no mistaking the claw marks on the calf's side, neck and back, with the rump eaten off and the guts torn out. The lion just jumps up on their back end, digs in the claws, weighs them down and starts that terrible slashing, clawing and chewing. They are very effective at their business.

Back to horses, I've had the urge to get one lately, but wife wants nothing to do with them. She's right of course, just one more thing to feed, and care for and worry about, but still--I might. Been a Looong time since I had one, but it's just something I'd like to regularly do again before I leave this world.

greybeard":35n7ctij said:
it's just something I'd like to regularly do again before I leave this world.

I tell everyone I know if its something you want to do and have the means to do it.... DO IT.... TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISED.

well to me a nice ride on a good horse ...nothing more soothing to my soul....helps my demanor tremendously....I told the wife years ago that it would be cheaper than a psychiatrist...
got to ride for a few minute saturday....Jumped on old Perkins bareback and gathered the neighbors cows so he could sort and haul a couple. Perkins is not a cow horse but he is discovering that he likes to push cows. I was smiling the most of the rest of the day....

I have to make time to ride more....

since my riding buddy has had some changes in his life and now lives 3 hours away I just have not made time to ride....it has got to become a priority in my life again....

HOSS":2zmtyjur said:
I an officially out of the horse business. The last one was sold today. She is going to go to a good farm to spend the rest of her days as a brood mare. No more fly spraying, trimming, shoeing, combing or tooth care. I will miss riding a bit and I will miss the beauty of seeing them trot across the pasture but overall I am glad to close this chapter.......besides......I will have more grass for the cows now.
We did that about 12 years ago. NO more horses.

ACTUALLY I have a new dream....it is only a dream because I can not find a way to finance it without spending everything I have worked all my life for....my fear is I kick the bucket and then the wife is left homeless.....if it was just me I would be gone already....

but I would love to have a live in horse trailer, and spend the next couple of years before I completely fall apart and attempt to just travel leisurely and ride my horse in all 48 contiguous states....go south in the winter and north in the summer and if I really like a place just say until the urge to move made me move....I don't wanna ride across em all...just in em all....heck I would come visit some of you folks....

pdfangus":2g80ufsw said:
Black and Good":2g80ufsw said:

I love mules....
my riding buddy has a gaited mule out of a Rocky Mare and I ride her more than I ride my horse.

I was a mule man for a long time. Haven't had one in a long time. When my youngest can saddle her own horse, with zero help from me, I'm going to break another one.

pdfangus":y2o2wciz said:
ACTUALLY I have a new dream....it is only a dream because I can not find a way to finance it without spending everything I have worked all my life for....my fear is I kick the bucket and then the wife is left homeless.....if it was just me I would be gone already....

but I would love to have a live in horse trailer, and spend the next couple of years before I completely fall apart and attempt to just travel leisurely and ride my horse in all 48 contiguous states....go south in the winter and north in the summer and if I really like a place just say until the urge to move made me move....I don't wanna ride across em all...just in em all....heck I would come visit some of you folks....

Come on up here. We'll find you a place to ride and a place to park!

Latest posts