No hay No way

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Because of hay shortage in my area and pasture playing out I have 29 pair in the sale today. Hope someone will be looking for replacements. But fear that most folks in my area are in the same boat as I.

hurleyjd":1ctnrn5r said:
Because of hay shortage in my area and pasture playing out I have 29 pair in the sale today. Hope someone will be looking for replacements. But fear that most folks in my area are in the same boat as I.

That stinks to be forced to sell. I hope they do well

hurleyjd":1zuf7jyh said:

Sorry, had to edit, I thought that post was by Sky. I am sorry. And I am especially sorry you are forced to sell.

Folks I am not crying because of the sale. In fact I had been planning to liquidate for the last two years but kept on going just run out of energy to keep it up. Every year the cows cost me a little more than they made. I did raise all of these cows and I have 85 more to go . 30 more pair and the rest are bred heifers. And could be by the end of August and September I will make enough hay to get them through. Rye grass seeds on its own and also the clover. Just need some rain.

I've got some I need to swap out but the way the heat has been kicking my buttt... plus the killing we aren't likely to make anytime soon....probably best to just cull and go home.

Read somewhere this past week that El Niño watch is on..... :deadhorse: ....not that it's going to help. :?

Picked up the check today netted $31946.30. Cows .43 to .53 cents lb calves split off 125 to 150 dollars cwt .big bull 79 cents weight 1485. Seen better prices in the past but you take what you can get. Total cost to sell with the barn hauling was $2073.43. $1274.50 commission the rest was beef promo 122.00, ins 85.08, brand insp 51.85, yardage 122.00, vet 188, and feed 80.00 and 150 for hauling. The cows were picked Wednesday afternoon at 6:00 pm

Winnsboro Shannon Davis a local young man that I have known all of his life has the barn over there. The grown cows were red Angus And they had red calves there was fifteen of them. The younger cows were red Angus semimtal cross with black calves.
Calves not as heavy as I thought probable averaged around 425.

Not the best but not the worst prices. If the drought/dry conditions continue, then maybe it was better than it will be. We are having crazy weather here but not drought. We are seeing prices in the $650 to $1200 for breds and cow/calf pairs. Bulls are right about the same, $.65 to .85 lb. Steers are in the same range for 4-5 wts. Usually you are a little higher there so I think the drought and no hay must really be starting to affect you. Hope you get some rain and can hold the rest for a little better prices in late fall or spring.

hurleyjd":27sfhwds said:
Here is the sales from Sulphur Springs Texas for7/23/2018. Pretty well inline to what mine brought, Look at the amount at the dairy sale at one time there would be over a thousand in that sale now 66 head. All cow numbers are lower now than a year ago.

http://www.sslivestockauctions.com/market.html

If you have enough head to ship, we'd suggest sending them up to OKC west. Pricing has been better pretty much across the board as alot of those folks have had regular rain. If you can make a dime better a pound, it may be worth the $1000 to get them up there. We'll be doing this exact thing in the next month when we wean.

It has been a joke how little rain we've gotten...

Nesikep":2spz5nip said:
wow, lot of deductions on there.. really hurts when prices are down too!
Everything went up when cattle prices went up. When cattle prices came down nothing else came down. Input costs/prices are still going up. It is going to thin the cattle farmers out no doubt as there is to much work/cost in it for a hobby. I keep cattle to keep the farm clean and that is about it sure not monetary reasons.

Latest posts