NJW 98S DURANGO 44U

Help Support CattleToday:

Marbling is the only real hole I see and I wouldn't not use him for that reason alone. I'm not a hereford guru but that cow has produced some phenomenal cattle including R294 and domino3027 and I've sold a bunch of both of those bulls to a lot of happy customers. I like seeing that level of reliability and they don't give out the high customer satisfaction label away easily. I'd say go for it.

You gotta like as a proven sire having 7 of 18 epd in top 10% and 4 more in top 25%
Only knock that I've heard on him is daughter mature cow size is not as large as some people like. (mostly show ring folk)
Not a deal breaker for me and could be viewed as a benefit depending on your goals and size of cows he's used on.

Can I ask what you are using him on and what you are going to use the calves for? If I was breeding purebreds for the show ring I would use much different genetics than if I was breeding to commercial females for calves to sell/ use as replacements.

As earlier mentioned, the marbling is a bit of a hole in him. Other than that, he looks fine. But, I would like to know about your females. Are they larger framed? This MAY be me just being nit picky, but if I had some smaller framed heifers, I would look for a bull with an actual birth weight closer to 70 lbs. I try to breed my heifers to the best, but my first priority is to get a calf on the ground alive for them to raise. If your heifers happen to have some bigger birth weight calves in their lineage, I would worry that between this mating there would be around 90 pound calves. Just my personal opinion, but that's too high for me.

I have learned to look at progeny as much as epds. A couple friends of mine have a bull that has a 5 bw. But he was 68lbs as a calf and is heifer safe. So you can't completely trust the numbers. Overall, the durangos I have seen are pretty good cattle. Some of them are a little rough in their front ends but he doesn't seem to be.

RisingCreekHerefords":2fdcm174 said:
Can I ask what you are using him on and what you are going to use the calves for? If I was breeding purebreds for the show ring I would use much different genetics than if I was breeding to commercial females for calves to sell/ use as replacements.

As earlier mentioned, the marbling is a bit of a hole in him. Other than that, he looks fine. But, I would like to know about your females. Are they larger framed? This MAY be me just being nit picky, but if I had some smaller framed heifers, I would look for a bull with an actual birth weight closer to 70 lbs. I try to breed my heifers to the best, but my first priority is to get a calf on the ground alive for them to raise. If your heifers happen to have some bigger birth weight calves in their lineage, I would worry that between this mating there would be around 90 pound calves. Just my personal opinion, but that's too high for me.

I have learned to look at progeny as much as epds. A couple friends of mine have a bull that has a 5 bw. But he was 68lbs as a calf and is heifer safe. So you can't completely trust the numbers. Overall, the durangos I have seen are pretty good cattle. Some of them are a little rough in their front ends but he doesn't seem to be.
the heifers id breed him to are Hereford red angus cross here's a link to some pictures viewtopic.php?f=8&t=101359 i dont know what their frame score is but i want to measure them this spring when their a year old. i want to some day have a seed stock operation and was thinking i could try out bulls on my commercial heifers then id know what worked for my operation when i get my registered animals

That could work. The only issue I see with that is if you are going to be marketing to purebred breeders. Purebred breeders tend to chase trends. They breed to the hottest bulls in the breed in hopes of selling the calves for good prices to other breeders. So if that is the case, what works for you now may not work for you when you do get your seed stock operation up and running. If you are selling strictly to commercial breeders then bloodlines won't matter as much. Yes, good bloodlines are still important, but commercial breeders aren't as concerned about what is hot in the Hereford world right now.

Have you looked at the Legend 242 bull? He is one of the breed greats right now and there is still a lot of semen left on him as far as I know so he isn't overly expensive. He's proven on purebreds and commercial stock.

i will look into that bull as of right now i don't really know many of the big pedigrees but that bull I've heard. of as far as chasing the in bull at the time i think that would be a hard way to do business because it seems like by the time you're ready to sell your calves there is a new in bull. so my plan is to breed consistent high quality cattle that work well in my area with bulls that are proven and it would be nice if it where from select sires but i know i will have to have a bigger selection of bulls to get the best quality :2cents:

Latest posts