Nitrogen

Help Support CattleToday:

SPJ

Reaction score
In October I plowed my field, March 15th I disced it, March 28th and 29th I sprigged it. Today I disced it again and I put about a ton of nitrogen on it. My question is: as I am finishing up, I am looking at the cows and they are in the pasture eating the grass that I just put the nitrogen on, do I need to put them in the pen or are they ok out in the pasture? Thanks, Phil

If they are eating your sprigs I'd pen them . You sprigged it 2 days ago and disked it again today?

Workinonit Farm":3ol53hqy said:
Personally, I would move them, But, sometimes I've been told that I'm overly cautious.

Katherine
JSCATTLE":3ol53hqy said:
If they are eating your sprigs I'd pen them . You sprigged it 2 days ago and disked it again today?
SPJRanch":3ol53hqy said:
In October I plowed my field, March 15th I disced it, March 28th and 29th I sprigged it. Today I disced it again and I put about a ton of nitrogen on it. My question is: as I am finishing up, I am looking at the cows and they are in the pasture eating the grass that I just put the nitrogen on, do I need to put them in the pen or are they ok out in the pasture? Thanks, Phil

Hook, it's about 16 acres. So there's about 3 acres around that that still has pretty good grass. I have probably 12 acres of lovegrass I'm trying to get rid of.

JS, I sprigged it all by hand so it took me two days. And after discing it today the roots are pretty well covered, it's the three acres around the plowed field they're eating.

Katherine, just to be on the safe side I went ahead and put them in the pen. I was waiting to see what everybody thought.

Thanks,
Phil

I'd be more concerned with nitrogen poisoning than anything.
Don't turn em back out on it til you get a decent rain.
That's just me though.

hooknline":2dsgepys said:
I'd be more concerned with nitrogen poisoning than anything.
Don't turn em back out on it til you get a decent rain.
That's just me though.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

That too would be my concern.

Katherine

sim.-ang.king":1f5r14f3 said:
Did you put the nitrogen on before you disced it the last time?

No, I put the nitrogen on afterwards. And the forecast here in OK is saying there is a chance of rain and possible hail tonight.

Thanks,
Phil

Your going to lose a lot of N not working it in. If left on top it just goes up in the air and you will lose a lot even with a rain.

Never heard of doing it that way. When doing by hand we normally scatter a section then immediately harrow and pack. We don't use nitrogen till much later. Good luck with it.

Jogeephus":2ploox1h said:
Never heard of doing it that way. When doing by hand we normally scatter a section then immediately harrow and pack. We don't use nitrogen till much later. Good luck with it.
That s what we do also . Seems like to much will die waiting 2 days to get dirt on it .

sim.-ang.king":bs7xqcvz said:
Your going to lose a lot of N not working it in. If left on top it just goes up in the air and you will lose a lot even with a rain.

Sim - I am new to this, so do I need to go back and disc the nitrogen in. Thanks, Phil

JSCATTLE":vs40z389 said:
Jogeephus":vs40z389 said:
That s what we do also . Seems like to much will die waiting 2 days to get dirt on it .

I checked with the OSU Extension and they told me when to plow, and to disc, and to sprig. And then I checked with Lincoln County to buy the sprigs, he did not think my tractor was big enough to pull the sprigging machine, so he told me I could do it by hand and to buy 2 bushels of sprigs per acre because some of them were not gonna make it. We started putting them on Wednesday about 4 pm and it took us till about 8 pm. We went back Thursday and got 2 more trailer loads and we started putting them in around noon until about 5 pm. Then Friday morning I disced them in and then went back to the co-op to get the nitrogen, what I did not ask anybody ahead of time was did the nitrogen need to go on the field before I disced the sprigs in. Just trying to learn. Thanks, Phil

One more thing, the guy at the OSU extension said that when the grass runners get to be 4-6 inches long, to put down 40 pounds of nitrogen per acre, and I plan on doing that, so my question is will I have to disc it again when I put the new nitrogen down? Thanks, Phil

Phil, I have never heard of sprigging 2 bushels per acre. I put 20-30. I also would never put nitrogen down till the runners were aggressively growing and weeds were under controll. The best thing you can do now is put a pre-emergent on it, but I don't think you have enough sprigs.

We use 30 to 40 bushels . I wouldn't disk it again . Just leave it alone or spray pre emergent like ISo said . I usually get 3 rolls to the acre in 90 days after planting .

Isomade":23h21yw3 said:
Phil, I have never heard of sprigging 2 bushels per acre. I put 20-30. I also would never put nitrogen down till the runners were aggressively growing and weeds were under controll. The best thing you can do now is put a pre-emergent on it, but I don't think you have enough sprigs.

Isomade, I have a 16 foot trailer that I put plywood sides on which made it 16x6x2 foot tall. I put 3 of these trailers on my field and the guy that I got it from said that it would be more than enough for what I was doing. I'm going to check in with Ray (OSU extension) Monday on the pre-emergents. I took the fertilizer spreader back to Shawnee this morning and turned it in. I also stopped by my vet and asked him about the nitrogen on the field. He told me he's done the same thing before and it's never hurt his cows. So I guess I'm going to go ahead and let my cows out of the pen.

Thanks everybody for your help,
Phil

SPJRanch":3v27ogbq said:
sim.-ang.king":3v27ogbq said:

Sim - I am new to this, so do I need to go back and disc the nitrogen in. Thanks, Phil
If you got a harrow just run that over, or if you don't just run the disc over it again.

Liquid or dry nitrogen
It would seem to me the 125 units per acre you already applied would be enough.

Latest posts