liquid nitrogen

Help Support CattleToday:

NCSU Maverick

Reaction score
What is a common storage device for liquid nitrogen when it is being used to brand? I've heard of using old semen tanks but I dont see how you could get an iron down inside of them. Is there a special container for holding liquid nitrogen when branding? What do some of you use and how long would would the nitrogen last after we get it from the semen salesman?

I just saw a freez branding kit on E bay for 75 bucks. My vet uses an o;d semen tank. Pours out what he needs. I don't know how much he go's through.

We pour ours in a old 2 gal water cooler. We use just enough to cover the irons about 3 inches. It will last to do about 14 head of cow with 2 brands. We then add more liq. nit. We have also used dry ice and alcohol. The kind you get from valley vet supplys. It is about a $100. for 5 gal, but it last a long time. You crush the dry ice and add alcohol. You mix it till it makes a slushy like drink work very well for us. Hope this helps some.

Thanks for the input. I just couldnt figure out how a person would get an iron into an old semen tank, but now it makes sense - pour it into something else

Mix with pure alchohol. If you have a Gardiner Angus catalog it tells how they brand with dry ice.

NCSU Maverick":33jts1g0 said:
What does he pour it into? some sort of styrofoam cooler?

Our vet just pours what he needs into a styrofoam cooler. Like others said, just enough to cover what he needs.

Ryan":25gfhsak said:
NCSU Maverick":25gfhsak said:
What does he pour it into? some sort of styrofoam cooler?

Our vet just pours what he needs into a styrofoam cooler. Like others said, just enough to cover what he needs.

how much will the LN cost to do this? i can buy dry ice at the local grocery store for $1/lb. i have heard some say the quality of the dry ice brands is more concistent than the LN branding.

Latest posts