Nitrogen Level In Tank

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus In Texas

Reaction score
Well we have been dealing with some family health issues as of late. In dealing with everything, we forgot to get the nitrogen refilled in our tank. We have an XC20 tank. The nitrogen level was at about 3 cm. What is the easiest way to determine if the semen in the tank is still viable? I don't know how long it had been since the tank was last filled. My father is the one that had it filled last and I can't find his records.

I think you've got two options. 1. Stick some in a cow and see if she takes. 2. Thaw a straw and stick it under a microscope.

I've been told that as long as there is at least few teaspoons of nitrogen the tank will stay cold enough. I have no idea whether that is true or not.

Ive always been told if you have a measurable amount on the dip stick your fine, but like Nova said...stick it under a microscope if your that worried about it. Mines gotten that low before and all my stuff was still good.

You should be fine at that level. It is not much, but it sounds like you weren't in and out of the tank and pulling up canes. I have had tanks that low before and havn't seen issues with semen going bad. I don't have a microscope but have used a kids chemistry set mic. to check for motility; it works, and was free of charge. If you are really concerned take a straw to your vet and get them to check.

Mine got down to 4cm last summer... I have had just as good of success AI'ing this spring as we did last spring. So I'd say you are fine... However, if there are some embryos in there, I would be worried...

Thanks for the replies. There were some embryos in the tank but none that I would lose sleep over. I had the tank filled at our semen supplier and they wanted $100 just to check a straw under a microscope..... I told them thanks but no thanks. I don't personally have a microscope but will probably find someone that does before I AI in the fall..... no point in wasting semen, sync drugs and time.

Last winter the level on my tank got down to around 14 cm or so, I can't recall just how low but low enough I got worried. I borrowed a micro scope from a friend and check a straw it had very low motility. I called my ABS rep to ask a couple of questions, he said the straws should be okay but to try and not let the tank get below 10 cm. Also told me that it was his experience that if the light on the micro scope gets turn up too high it kills the sperm pretty quick because of the heat produced. I tried a second straw of the same bull at a lower light setting and they seemed to have good motility.

$100 :shock: , I would think a decent vet would do it for far less as long as they could thaw the semen correctly or were willing to let you help thaw it.

Alan

Actually, you could show no measurement on the stick and still be OK. The bottom that you "feel" with the stick is actually a "false" bottom (according to ABS rep). There is still some nitrogen below that. If you have VAPORS, it's OK. You were lucky you checked it when you did.

Latest posts