Nitrate poisoning

Help Support CattleToday:

mnbryant2001

Reaction score
I realise nitrate poisoning generally comes from plants contains high amount of it. But what about ammonia nitrate fertlizer? Do you put it down with cattle on the pasture? Also I realize spills could cause a problem if they ate it

mnbryant2001":nc18hr7z said:
I realise nitrate poisoning generally comes from plants contains high amount of it. But what about ammonia nitrate fertlizer? Do you put it down with cattle on the pasture? Also I realize spills could cause a problem if they ate it

I've always fertilized while the cattle were on the pasture but always used a blended fertilizer. Never have put out straight Amm. Nitrate.

TB,
Shouldn't be a problem with normal distribution, unless...they spill a pile, or stop in one spot with the spreader turning and you get a significant accumulation in one spot.
I've seen NO3 poisoning cases where they dumped a pile in one spot and the cows ate it.

Had a case one time where a fellow told his wife to put out some mineral for the cows - and what she emptied into the mineral feeder was a bag of ammonium nitrate fertilizer. She didn't know...but it killed a bunch of cows.

Also, if getting some cloudy dry days after spreading and plant growth slows! Nirate builds in the plant. Check with your county extension office as they likely have some literature describing what may happen and how to avoid. What northeast Ms county do you live in? Most have good info for cattle and forages.
Phil

Cherry or wild cherry trees can be a "good" cow killer too, under the right conditions. I try to remove all known cherry trees before a green limb blows off and wilts. If you know of these trees in a pasture, it's best to be watchful during windy times of the year.
But then, never really know what a cow or a calf are going to eat.

Latest posts