Prussic poisoning

Help Support CattleToday:

We are going to be cutting some milo stalks soon. This time we will be shredding them with a batwing mower instead of a mower conditioner. Will this help make it safer or should still be concerned with poisoning?
Thanks

JRM":vvgipj5v said:
We are going to be cutting some milo stalks soon. This time we will be shredding them with a batwing mower instead of a mower conditioner. Will this help make it safer or should still be concerned with poisoning?
Thanks
Probably not much to worrry about if you bust em up with a shredder and let it cure. If you are really concerned you could take a sample and have it tested.

Sure not an expert on this subject but everything I've read indicates that the Sudan's retention of Nitrates in the leaves is a result of stress on the plant. I think BHB eluded to this earlier. If your field where the Johnson grass, Haygrazer, (Sudan) is growing has been fertilized and it has or is in a drought condition you need to worry about the poisoning. Otherwise it should not be a problem to graze or bale the grass. My cattle love the stuff but then I don't cultivate it and I darn sure don't waste fertilizer on it.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

lavacarancher":1s4s1sev said:
Sure not an expert on this subject but everything I've read indicates that the Sudan's retention of Nitrates in the leaves is a result of stress on the plant. I think BHB eluded to this earlier. If your field where the Johnson grass, Haygrazer, (Sudan) is growing has been fertilized and it has or is in a drought condition you need to worry about the poisoning. Otherwise it should not be a problem to graze or bale the grass. My cattle love the stuff but then I don't cultivate it and I darn sure don't waste fertilizer on it.

Sorry to hear about your loss.
Nitrates and prussic acid are two separate deals.

JRM":50ybrbul said:
Thanks
If you made a good milo crop, had adequate rains when needed, nitrates should not be a problem. Shredding sure seems like it would make one he&& of a mess to try to deal with.

After ropewicking the Johnson grass with Round Up, and the leaves are totally dead in the pasture, is it OK to let the cattle back out to graze? Or is there a danger in the dried up leaves?
Chuckie

I don't know what ropewicking is.

But I will answer yes there is probably still a danger as the danger is when the grass is stressed and ropewicking and round up sound like they equal stress to the grass.

Suzie Q":2vzvamkh said:
I don't know what ropewicking is.

But I will answer yes there is probably still a danger as the danger is when the grass is stressed and ropewicking and round up sound like they equal stress to the grass.
Once again don't confuse Prussic Acid Poisoning with Nitrate Poisoning. Prussic Acid dissipates.....Nitrates don't. Only dilution works for nitrates.

I think the Round-Up label should be your guideline here.... Once the plant is dead the prussic acid dissipates fairly quickly. I think the grazing restrictions after Round-Up treatments are quite a bit longer.