Nice surprise

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Got home today to see a pretty little heifer calf bouncing around momma. She must have been born during the night last night. Walked around back and saw another cow cleaning off a nice bull calf that was just born. After being home 15 minutes I noticed two in labor and they were heading back to the back corner away from the rest. I believe they will calve this evening.

Looks like I had another one last night......saw it by the barn this morning. I am going to try and see what it is this afternoon. So far I am running 50% bulls and 50% heifers.

so far my ratio is 2/0 heifers to bulls. I'm hoping the cows that I kept heifers from for the last 2 years make it 3 in a row... Especially the old girl as this will be her last

Nesikep":3pxlqn59 said:
so far my ratio is 2/0 heifers to bulls. I'm hoping the cows that I kept heifers from for the last 2 years make it 3 in a row... Especially the old girl as this will be her last

I hear you there, I love nothing more than getting a heifer from a good cow and since I do the sire selection, the bull with a good cow should make a solid replacement. Makes my heart smile to get heifers from those!! :)

Well, the old girl is at a 5/10 bull/heifer ratio... and her last 2 were heifers... think she's due for a bull calf. There's one cow I have who's 6 years old now, and has raise amazing bull calves (all bulls).. maybe this year she'll have a heifer I can test run... it'll probably have a touch of roan as the mother is pretty much a roan... she certainly has milk... I'll have to see how the heifer calves from her are built.. they might be a bit skinny looking even from a gelbveih bull, but they might still make good mothers