Nice little saw fixed.....

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
It is hard to figure out how some people tear up things. This 50cc saw which is one of the best ever made has probably been setting somewhere on a shelve and not used for years as they ripped a hole in the metal oil tank somehow. I stated tearing it down at around 2:45 PM when the rain came, and by 5:26 pm it was back together with the flywheel side case replaced, a perfect match at the base of the cylinder. It is hard to find these little PRO saws this nice and it has none of the EPA additions on it. Started on 3 pulls.

Torn down to replace the case.

JUY25wU.jpg

The case with a hole in it somebody had tried to fix.

5tztsFb.jpg

Finished and not cleaned up yet. It has the decomp valve, adjustable oiler, pro design and compression like new.

eqeFLJn.jpg

Wish I was closer, I would have you take a look at my 460 that stopped working. I ain't do nuttin to it either. Just one day went to start it and it about jerk my arm clear off.

chaded said:
Wish I was closer, I would have you take a look at my 460 that stopped working. I ain't do nuttin to it either. Just one day went to start it and it about jerk my arm clear off.
I have had several of those as just sold a nice MS440. I would put a carb kit in first and see if that helped.

Here is the 440 .......

57fimD7.jpg

Got a nice 365XP that the owner dropped a tree on and busted the cases all the heck. He gave it to me.

I swapped the guts into some Chinese cases, and fixed all the plastic bits, runs great.

Wish I could get some more basket cases in. Seems like everyone around here is a tinkerer and it's hard to find any.

Atimm693 said:
Got a nice 365XP that the owner dropped a tree on and busted the cases all the heck. He gave it to me.

I swapped the guts into some Chinese cases, and fixed all the plastic bits, runs great.

Wish I could get some more basket cases in. Seems like everyone around here is a tinkerer and it's hard to find any.

I feel personally attacked by this! :p I have a barn.. OK, a stall full of old chainsaws

Atimm693 said:

I have had good luck finding them, but the price is going up. Glad to hear the China cases are working out. I have never bought any. Here are a few and had many more. I have had a bunch of the older large metal case Poulans that use to be high priced, but parts are getting hard to get and they maybe worth half now, glad I got rid of them.

hMBOike.jpg

WI3Gllp.jpg

sstterry said:
Why did I ever buy that Jonsred you recomended? Why not but one of yours??
I have been selling about 5 a week for a year now it seems. I have a few left.

Here are some of my personal saws and I have added an 880 to it and a few more since this picture. Just got a nice MS362C added also.

ECatXhJ.jpg

I have a 290 Stihl with a 20 inch bar and an 066 with a 36 inch bar. The 290 is nice for pruning branches but I am use to having more power. And I am getting too old for the 066. I need a good Stihl that is in the middle between those two.

jltrent said:
Atimm693 said:

I have had good luck finding them, but the price is going up. Glad to hear the China cases are working out. I have never bought any. Here are a few and had many more. I have had a bunch of the older large metal case Poulans that use to be high priced, but parts are getting hard to get and they maybe worth half now, glad I got rid of them.

hMBOike.jpg

WI3Gllp.jpg

The cases were great, I doubt anyone could tell they are aftermarket after I riveted the serial plate on.

The recoil and other plastic parts, not so much. Didn't fit that well and the color was off.

Atimm693 said:
The cases were great, I doubt anyone could tell they are aftermarket after I riveted the serial plate on.

The recoil and other plastic parts, not so much. Didn't fit that well and the color was off.

Good to hear as some of these OEM cases are getting hard to find as those aftermarket case will add extra life when there is not an option. I have had a couple AM cylinders and I was not impressed. The porting and overall build on those Big bore kits want even out do a regular OEM in not perfect shape. One thing I have noticed those Chinese keep stealing products and reproducing, sooner or later they will get it right.

Here are just a few future projects 064, 066 s, MS660 as I have most of the parts to finish, but no time. These are nice cranks, cases and bearings and when you get to this point go pretty fast. I have a nice slant fin 10mm 044 that is a project that will turn out nice.

qzrEyhK.jpg

Dave said:
I have a 290 Stihl with a 20 inch bar and an 066 with a 36 inch bar. The 290 is nice for pruning branches but I am use to having more power. And I am getting too old for the 066. I need a good Stihl that is in the middle between those two.

You might want to look at a 462 then. I wore out a 440, and was very surprised how much lighter the 462 was and how much more power it had versus the 440.

hillbilly beef man said:
Dave said:

You might want to look at a 462 then. I wore out a 440, and was very surprised how much lighter the 462 was and how much more power it had versus the 440.
Talk to a couple guys who own them and both said good power to weight. The 500i is out and soon to be available at local dealers as it is fuel injected. I will wait a while, but might try one if reviews are good. These new government saws run good, but who knows about longevity as lean as the gov. wants them ran. I like the saws with a zero in front of the model number or on the end as they don't have all the extra costly government BS and extra maintenance cost.

Here are a couple in good condition for the model an 036 and MS361 (my pick as a one saw plan)

rlgrytG.jpg

4PE2mXB.jpg

Here is a government model MS362C. It runs great, but to lean and low end torque not good because of the lean computer settings(gov don't want pollution) the 036 and MS361 will outcut as torque is much better.

8tIE8aI.jpg

I like 036 s pretty good as I have 4 right now and probably had 10 before.

ypCsGPu.jpg

Dave said:

I dread my 066 as well

I don't mind using my 064/066 hybrid, it's just the starting that's a PITA.. 100cc and 210psi is hard on the fingers https://youtu.be/KGqaitWLAFw
My go-to big saw is my 394, general purpose bucking is usually the 044, and for little stuff, it's my Pioneer 1072.
I got a good deal on a 372XPG XT, $100 with a brand new techlite bar and chain.. it's alright, just not impressive.. I do use it in the winter though because it has heated handlegrips

jltrent said:
chaded said:
I have had several of those as just sold a nice MS440. I would put a carb kit in first and see if that helped.

Here is the 440 .......

57fimD7.jpg

I haven't messed with it for two years but this thread gave me a little motivation to go mess with it. I really don't know much about them mechanically but I didn't think I could mess it up any worse. I took the carb off and apart and everything looked fine except for some kind of bugs plug about everything up. I cleaned it and blew it out and put it all back together. It only took a few pulls and it was screaming!

I have a stock ms261 I have been using for everything since the 460 went down and I forgot how much of a beast this one is compared to it. :shock: I don't know a lot about them but this one is supposed to be ported and have a 046/460 D jug ?

Anyways, made today a good day hearing it run.

chaded said:
I haven't messed with it for two years but this thread gave me a little motivation to go mess with it. I really don't know much about them mechanically but I didn't think I could mess it up any worse. I took the carb off and apart and everything looked fine except for some kind of bugs plug about everything up. I cleaned it and blew it out and put it all back together. It only took a few pulls and it was screaming!

I have a stock ms261 I have been using for everything since the 460 went down and I forgot how much of a beast this one is compared to it. :shock: I don't know a lot about them but this one is supposed to be ported and have a 046/460 D jug ?

Anyways, made today a good day hearing it run.

With the carburetor being dirty I would check the fuel line in the tank and also the fuel filter in the tank and maybe replace both as the carburetor should be clean. Another very important thing is to clean the air filter often and make sure it is in good shape. Eating sawdust through the intake can cause excessive wear on the intake side of the piston/cylinder and shortens the life of the bearings. It can mess with the air/fuel ratio and cause a rich condition that can cause carbon build up (scoring on the piston).

That is a nice saw as they don't make them like that anymore.

BFEF4864-5-A75-47-A1-B4-B4-CAC9-A1-C9-CD9-A.jpg

Latest posts