NIAS Identification System

Help Support CattleToday:

Heres an article from a Canadian site- Has some good points...

----------

NAIS cannot prevent "Mad Cow" disease

By Henry Lamb
web posted May 8, 2006

Shortly after another "mad cow" was discovered in Alabama, there was a rash of articles in the press citing the event as convincing evidence that the USDA's National Animal Identification System should move forward as quickly as possible. Nowhere did any of the articles mention that the NAIS will do nothing to prevent, control, or even slow the disease.

Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), widely known as "Mad Cow Disease," is a chronic, degenerative disease affecting the central nervous system of cattle. BSE takes years to develop in cattle, not days or weeks. Moreover, the disease is not contagious. The USDA says: "It's important to note that [BSE and related diseases] are not communicable diseases - they do not spread easily like viruses."

If this disease, promoted as justification for the program, is not contagious, why, then, is it necessary for the USDA to construct this massive program to register every premises that houses any farm animal, tag each animal with an electronic monitoring chip, and track every off-premises movement of every animal through a centralized database?

The idea that BSE is justification for the NAIS is thoroughly debunked in a paper prepared by Judith McGeary, a founder of the Liberty Ark Coalition, and Executive Director of the Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance. She says: "NAIS will not benefit cattle, farmers, or consumers. Rather, NAIS will create profits for the companies that make the microchips and radio tags, while American consumers will see the price of their beef rise, without any additional safety."

There is no legitimate need for the USDA to launch this massive tracking system. Brand laws, ear tags, and sales records already provide an adequate traceback system that has been used successfully for years. If the goal of the USDA is truly to protect the food supply chain, then the focus should be placed on the packing industry, not on the producer.

Domestic producers are already required to produce a health certificate supplied by an authorized veterinarian at the point of sale. The risk occurs in the feedlots and factories where imported animals and animal products may be added. Meat packers may incorporate imported meat products into hamburger and other non-choice cuts and still receive the USDA stamp of approval. So far, the meat industry has been able to block all efforts to label such imported meats with even the country of origin, to say nothing of any health certification.

Not only is there no need for the NAIS, if it is implemented, it will have devastating effects on producers, consumers, and ultimately, on every American. As currently designed, the program will require that every 4H child, Future Farmer, and every other rural household that has a single cow, horse, chicken, goat, pig, or any other animal that the USDA deems appropriate, to register the premises, tag the animals with an electronic chip, and then report any movement off premises within 24 hours. The animal owner is forced to pay the costs, and could be subject to serious fines or criminal penalties for non-compliance.

Rodeos will be a thing of the past. County fairs will evaporate. The bureaucracy, the cost, and the risk of running afoul of the law simply is not worth the effort for small farmers and ranchers. The corporate giants, who dominate the major trade associations, pay expensive lobbyists, and fill the campaign coffers of politicians, are the real instigators of the NAIS. These are the only people who will benefit from this program by streamlining their vertical integration of the market place. In the end, it is the consumer who will pay the increased costs at the supermarket.

There is another, more serious, negative effect. If the NAIS can be constructed to trace the origin of an animal diseases that may threaten human life, why not use the system to trace human diseases that most certainly threaten human life? Why not require an electronic chip to be placed in every AIDS victim, or every flu victim, or every released felon? A system that can trace the movements of every animal in the nation, could surely just as easily trace the movement of every person in the nation.

Don't laugh, or think for a moment that there are not those who believe this kind of system would be a major improvement over the disorderly "freedom" that Americans enjoy. Political uproar would block the program in an instant, were it being openly developed for people. But once the program is developed for animals, the next step is a very small step, indeed.

I don't think NAIS will solve 100% of the disease and traceback problems, but for us personally, I don't believe we will have to change much from the way we currently do things (except for a little more paperwork). We currently eartag all of our calves, and they are also branded with that tag/private herd #.

I do believe NAIS will provide a good deal of reliable traceability for diseased animals, but what about the following scenario:

- 50 ranchers sale some calves
- those calves are all tagged and documented
- the calves are comingled into a feedlot
- after they are fed out, they are sent to slaughter
- the calves are slaughtered, made into hamburger etc.
- someone gets sick from eating some of the beef from this lot of calves, but the resturant doesn't really know which animal(s) was actually the cause.

They may have 100's of premises to quarantine and check before they can find anything, which is even more of a hassle for the producer(s).

I am for 100% testing at slaughter, then if something is wrong, you have the suspect animal and a tag to trace back to the premises.

Oldtimer":3nhpoc93 said:
Heres an article from a Canadian site- Has some good points...

----------

NAIS cannot prevent "Mad Cow" disease

By Henry Lamb
web posted May 8, 2006

Brand laws, ear tags, and sales records already provide an adequate traceback system that has been used successfully for years. .

Ot....if that is indeed the case why were the U.S.D.A unable to find the origins of the Alabama Cow :?:

Oldtimer":3nhpoc93 said:
If the goal of the USDA is truly to protect the food supply chain, then the focus should be placed on the packing industry, not on the producer.
Domestic producers are already required to produce a health certificate supplied by an authorized veterinarian at the point of sale. The risk occurs in the feedlots and factories where imported animals and animal products may be added..

Ot these same animals you talk about are all inspected by country of origin vets prior to arrival at the border & U.S..border vets upon entry to the U.S

frenchie":160lpjnb said:
Ot these same animals you talk about are all inspected by country of origin vets prior to arrival at the border & U.S..border vets upon entry to the U.S

frenchie- According to former Health and Human Services secretary Tommy Thompson less than 1/2 of 1 % of meat imported from foreign countries is ever looked at by a US inspector - but it is still comingled with US inspected meat and all labeled with a USDA inspected stamp and passed off to US consumers as US product...:roll: :(

Oldtimer":2x0dw8qp said:
frenchie":2x0dw8qp said:

frenchie- According to former Health and Human Services secretary Tommy Thompson less than 1/2 of 1 % of meat imported from foreign countries is ever looked at by a US inspector - but it is still comingled with US inspected meat and all labeled with a USDA inspected stamp and passed off to US consumers as US product...:roll: :(

Read my quote again Ot I said imported animals not meat.

frenchie":1ukbl4op said:
Oldtimer":1ukbl4op said:
frenchie":1ukbl4op said:

The risk occurs in the feedlots and factories where imported animals and animal products may be added..

frenchie-Well this was the original quote of the fellow I was discussing and I believe meat is an animal product - anyway here in the states it is- don't know about Canandaland :roll:

Oldtimer's article":2nbfjydw said:
The corporate giants, who dominate the major trade associations, pay expensive lobbyists, and fill the campaign coffers of politicians, are the real instigators of the NAIS. These are the only people who will benefit from this program by streamlining their vertical integration of the market place. In the end, it is the consumer who will pay the increased costs at the supermarket.

That's pretty much what I've been saying all along, in a nutshell.. NAIS is one more step toward chickenizing the beef industry.

I wouldn't think very many independent producers would want to become paycheck-dependent contract farmers playing by some CEO's rules and dictations, but then again, it's not all that surprising.. After all, the people of the "free" world seem to be all too eager to give up a whole lot of freedom for a little bit of security nowadays anyway... :mad:

Oldtimer":f6k5kaya said:
frenchie":f6k5kaya said:
Oldtimer":f6k5kaya said:
frenchie":f6k5kaya said:

The risk occurs in the feedlots and factories where imported animals and animal products may be added..

frenchie-Well this was the original quote of the fellow I was discussing and I believe meat is an animal product - anyway here in the states it is- don't know about Canandaland :roll:

Ot -stunned

that would make sense if that was what you replied to but it was,nt.....
:lol: You don,t even know what you replied to which was.

frenchie wrote

cmjust0":2oe4zlvq said:
rk":2oe4zlvq said:
In the event of fmd, I want every tool available for containment. Traceback is definitely one of those tools.

In the event of fmd, I want a VACCINE. FMD Vaccines have been around for decades, but they stopped using them because the old FMD diagnosis tests couldn't tell the difference between the infection and the vaccine.. False positives, in other words.. I've heard that there are new tests which *can* tell the difference...

If FMD breaks out in the US, I'll bet you $100 that a vaccine appears out of thin air.
Your post raises good questions, so I researched the issue of fmd vaccines. A vaccine will not prevent an animal from becoming infected. It will prevent it from developing the clinical symptoms, according to APHIS. An infected animal could still spread the disease. Furthermore, the US would lose its current FMD free status, and lose most/all international markets. What would that mean for ability to sell your cattle at all, much less for any kind of a price?
Rapid identification and elimination is vital and ID is necessary in order for it to reduce the impact on animals, owners, and markets.

rk":1cymc3dp said:
Your post raises good questions, so I researched the issue of fmd vaccines. A vaccine will not prevent an animal from becoming infected. It will prevent it from developing the clinical symptoms, according to APHIS. An infected animal could still spread the disease. Furthermore, the US would lose its current FMD free status, and lose most/all international markets. What would that mean for ability to sell your cattle at all, much less for any kind of a price?
Rapid identification and elimination is vital and ID is necessary in order for it to reduce the impact on animals, owners, and markets.

Well, I did a little more research on it myself, and found that Europe just *stopped* vaccinating in '91.. I also found that the USDA apparently has a massive stockpile of vaccines in case an outbreak does occur.. (Guess my conspiracy theory of a vaccine appearing was right! :lol: )...

I also found that there are not-so-new tests which can determine the difference between a vaccinated animal and an infected animal, and also that the import/export bans for FMD only affect for live animals -- not beef..

I'm not saying that an FMD outbreak would be a piece of cake to handle, but FMD's not a disease that's going to slip by for year and years and then need to be traced back.. In every FMD outbreak I've ever read about, there's a clear epicenter -- a point of origin -- and the 'authorities' simply draw a huge circle around that epicenter and kill everything inside it...

I guess what I'm saying is that NAIS is a scalpel, but containing FMD is a job generally undertaken with a broadsword.

So when is the Identification part going to be mandatory. I mean im already taking steps toward that but ive seen flyers and they all give a differant date. And i would like to know if this was a good post and if i shouldve posted it? Thanks.
Millerlite :cboy:

cowboyFFA_09":3813u2ca said:
So when is the Identification part going to be mandatory.

Hopefully never.

I mean im already taking steps toward that but ive seen flyers and they all give a differant date.

That's because the roosters running this show couldn't find their own peckers with two hands and a flashlight.

And i would like to know if this was a good post and if i shouldve posted it?

It's not for anyone but YOU to decide what YOU should say, do, think, feel, or be. If you've got something to say, say it.. Stand up on a chair and scream it if you feel like you need to.

Personally, I think FAR too many people here just go with the grain and keep their mouths shut out of fear that they might alienate somebody they may need someday... I say eff that whole line of thinking, because I'd help anybody who needed it if I could, regardless of how wrong or stupid or stubborn I thought they'd been in the past. If others won't or can't bring themselves to do the same, then they're just little tiny people that I've got no use for anyway. It doesn't take a big man to carry a grudge, ya know..

As for me, personally, I think this and the two or three other NAIS threads here have gotten a lot of members to talk about it, who otherwise wouldn't have.. Dialogue is always good.. Likewise, blind 'groupthink' is always bad..

I just hope that folks here who are opposed to it have seen that they're by no means alone in their opposition..

Latest posts