NIAS Identification System

Help Support CattleToday:

The relative few on this forum who've had the balls to wade into the NAIS debate seem (to me) to split along three lines: 1. The "nothing to hide" Americans who don't lose any sleep over big brother climbing up their asses, 2. The "I'll do it if I have to, but I don't like it" crowd, and 3. The Canadians. The Canadians are pretty gung-ho about it, as they get to reap the benefit of border stability without having to suffer any of the cost or consequences of US government intrusion...

Most of the cattlemen I know personally here in Kentucky are in the "I'll do it, but I don't like it" crowd, and would just as soon see it scrapped as to have it implemented..

As for me, I'm not really any of the above.. :lol: I'll tell you straight up that I hate M-ID with a passion, and I'll do everything I possibly can to avoid having to comply with it. IF it were market driven, I'd be in the "do it if I have to" crowd, satisfied that I had *chosen* to comply -- versus having been forced by the USDA (read, Tyson Foods et al.).

I'm against it. Let the market decide. If a farmer/rancher wants to participate in that market, they do as dictated. I resent the term "National Herd". My herd is not a national one. If I register my premise/animals, I've elected to become a USDA experimental research station. No thank you. Let the wars begin :lol:

Bluestem":28uvm4yv said:
Let the wars begin

Agreed 100%! I think it's high time for a roll call on NAIS.

What I think is that if *everyone* here could manage to find their nads long enough to stand up and be counted, the gung-ho "make it mandatory" crowd would find themselves severely outnumbered by folks who know they don't have to suckle at the federal tit to get their problems solved..

"Oh, ever-fair and benevolent government, I'll blindly do whatever you ask if you'll keep my market from the peril I learned about in your propaga.., errr, brochures!" :pretty:

:lol: :roll:

cmjust0":2v1c4de3 said:
The relative few on this forum who've had the balls to wade into the NAIS debate seem (to me) to split along three lines: 1. The "nothing to hide" Americans who don't lose any sleep over big brother climbing up their asses, 2. The "I'll do it if I have to, but I don't like it" crowd, and 3. The Canadians. The Canadians are pretty gung-ho about it, as they get to reap the benefit of border stability without having to suffer any of the cost or consequences of US government intrusion...

Most of the cattlemen I know personally here in Kentucky are in the "I'll do it, but I don't like it" crowd, and would just as soon see it scrapped as to have it implemented..

As for me, I'm not really any of the above.. :lol: I'll tell you straight up that I hate M-ID with a passion, and I'll do everything I possibly can to avoid having to comply with it. IF it were market driven, I'd be in the "do it if I have to" crowd, satisfied that I had *chosen* to comply -- versus having been forced by the USDA (read, Tyson Foods et al.).

You know Cmjust0.... I have changed my mind on this N.A.I.S thing .I think you should fight it tooth and nail and delay it for as long as possible.

The reason I say this Is that I,m willing to market beef anywhere you don,t want to.

cmjust0":16ajzp78 said:

I tend to listen to them more as they have seen the effects of the market without it. I went to a meeting tonight on the very subject. If we don't do it we will only be producing meat that will be consumed here. Even then a lot of consumers here will buy from certified places because of the fear of what could happen.

I'm for it, as the least of all evils. We must have consumer confidence in our product, both domestic and internationally. I deal with alot of producers, and while most are great, some of the things I see done I would not want to participate in, especially as a consumer of beef. Many feel like "it's my cattle, so it's none of anyone else's business". They are forgetting they are producing a food product for the consumer and participating in the food chain. They have a responsibility to make it safe. There is also the issue of communicable diseases, namely fmd. Traceback will help minimize the effects, both on the number of livestock to quarantine/destroy and also on the market.
As for BSE testing, it makes sense, but not w/o traceback. With the few animals in the U.S. so far, there has always been the question of how did it contract the disease. ID/traceback is the only practical way to determine the cause, and determining the cause is the only way to prevent future occurances.

frenchie":1701wpvk said:
cmjust0":1701wpvk said:

You know Cmjust0.... I have changed my mind on this N.A.I.S thing .I think you should fight it tooth and nail and delay it for as long as possible.

The reason I say this Is that I,m willing to market beef anywhere you don,t want to.

frenchie you are most accommodating.
blind hogs only find acorns in an oak grove.
we run ours in strawberry fields......

frenchie":2l63absy said:

Good. You go right ahead and send all your beef to the far east instead of the near south, and we won't have to worry about the export market -- we'll be too busy trying to keep up with domestic demand and enjoying higher prices as a result.

Bama":6nas02kh said:
Even then a lot of consumers here will buy from certified places because of the fear of what could happen.

If that were the case -- if consumers would only buy beef that could be traced back -- then why is the USDA even worried about making the program mandatory?

Just the other day, a friend of mine said that she was never eating at Wendy's again, because she found DIRT on a baked potato.. That's kinda gross, sure, but wasn't terribly surprising to me... I said to her, "Well, they DO grow in the ground I guess.." and just kinda laughed.. She looked at me like I was from Mars and said, "Wow.. I guess I never really thought about that..." :shock:

Maybe I'll get flamed for saying this, but I think you're giving the average American consumer way too much credit here..

cmjust0":2ahaik8r said:
rk":2ahaik8r said:
I'm for it, as the least of all evils.

Out of curiosity, would you rather see it proceed as a mandatory or market driven program?
When it's all said and done, I don't think there will be any practical difference. Either it's mandatory and you can't sell cattle w/o id, or it's market driven and cattle w/o id will be a discount significant enough they aren't profitable.

WORANCH":2bor0qa0 said:
It needs to be mandatory to work.

Depends on what you mean by "work." A lot of government programs "work" -- but only in the absolute most strict sense of the word.

If, by "work" you mean "be effective," why do you believe NAIS would work any better or be any more effective than, say, WIC, Medicare, Medicaid or any Federal government program?

rk":2rxh1b52 said:
When it's all said and done, I don't think there will be any practical difference. Either it's mandatory and you can't sell cattle w/o id, or it's market driven and cattle w/o id will be a discount significant enough they aren't profitable.

Maybe.. But if it turns out that the current ideas in M-ID suck for one reason or another upon being implemented in the real world, who do you think would have the incentive to come up with a better idea: 1) A business owner who's worried about their *competition* making things better/cheaper/easier/faster and driving him out of business, or 2) the federal government, which can make you comply regardless of how assbackward their system may be.

i like it to an extent. but i agree with Bluestream. i do see the reason why the USDA is trying to help us farmers but like the idea of the Government looking down my back telling me how to raise my cattle. in the past couple of years the world wide public has gotten a little scared about the whole issue. thanks for the help Government but give it to us in another form.
Millerlite :cboy:

Man, I was right there with ya until you said......

cowboyFFA_09":1axord4v said:
in the past couple of years the world wide public has gotten a little scared about the whole issue.

:lol:

See, I haven't really noticed that at all.. When the Alabama BSE cow was found, the markets didn't crash down around anybody's ears like the USDA said it would.. It barely even stumbled..

If anybody really thinks Americans are REALLY going to give up beef over BSE or any other health concern, I got one word for ya: Cigarettes.

They tell you right on the friggin box that you're gonna die of cancer, heart disease, emphysema, stroke, or something equally damning -- and people still buy'em by the carton and smoke every one they can keep lit..

Never underestimate the recklessness of the consumer when it comes to the things they're willing to shovel, suck, or pour into their bottomless pieholes. If it won't kill them by next week, they don't have the time to worry about it..

Hey cmjust0, look how much that first BSE cow that was in America hurt us. It my not have hit hard at home but it sure didnt hepl our export to these other countries.

See how we are trying to get the market back from Japan and these other big importers of American beef have hurt the world-wide and local markets.

*Most peple that I have talked to have asked, "Can you get BSE from eating an infected animal?" No you cant until you start chompin on the spinal cord and brain. See this is where the T.V and News people come in and dont tell the whole truth about something.
*(But dont get me wrong, the infected animal still needs to be killed)

But the market isnt just stumbling over the BSE scare. We still have other diseases that need some attention like Hoof and Mouth, and others. But I still feel like it is the producers obligation to give healthy and exceptable animals to the world-wid community without the government looking over our backs and telling us how to run and manage our farms and animals.

Millerlite :cboy:

cowboyFFA_09. Explain how BSE will be cured by animal ID. The ten of millons being spent on ID should be spent on finding a cure. The problem is the powers to be are convinced there is not a problem. Animal ID will make the public feel better, and the problem will go away.

cmjust0":2ayvqcu1 said:
frenchie":2ayvqcu1 said:

Good. You go right ahead and send all your beef to the far east instead of the near south, and we won't have to worry about the export market --

It won,t be just the far east , It will be the rest of the world, :p

we'll be too busy trying to keep up with domestic demand and enjoying higher prices as a result.

Is that not an huge assumption on your part.... :lol:

Latest posts