NFL draft is over couple of surprises

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
First hats off the Bama, I believe 4 in the first round. Surprised that Kellen Moored from Boise St got no love, too short I guess. Washington picks RG3 from Baylor number two over all and picks up a second QB in the third, I think it was Texas A&M's QB. 4 ducks went, which was a bit of a surprise for me, I did't think they would get that many. No love for "We smoked it all" Cliff Harris, he was an All American as a sophomore. Also, I bet Oregon's QB Darron Thomas wishes he stayed for his senior year ...... But a lot of undrafted free agents to sign.

Any thoughts?

The thing that stood out for me was the number of Boise St players that were drafted, most of them on defense, including the Bears first round pick. Didn't really surprise me that Moore went undrafted, but the Boise St RB went pretty high.

My Illini had 2 drafted in the first round for the first time since they had the 2nd and 3rd picks in 1996. Had 2 more go in the second round. First time in history they've had 4 go in the first 2 rounds.

My Bears addressed some needs but I was kind of surprised they didn't go after another offensive lineman. That's been a sore spot the past couple of years. The scuttlebutt is that they're comforatable with the guys they have being able to do the job under the new offensive system that Mike Tice will use. Tice was the line coach the last couple of years so I guess he'd know more than anybody about that. Also think the Bears got a steal with that Jeffries kid, a WR from South Carolina. They say his stock dropped because he's not a hard worker but maybe he'll grow up and do what it takes now that he's getting a chance in the NFL.

Alan":3kd3deil said:
First hats off the Bama, I believe 4 in the first round. Surprised that Kellen Moored from Boise St got no love, too short I guess. Washington picks RG3 from Baylor number two over all and picks up a second QB in the third, I think it was Texas A&M's QB. 4 ducks went, which was a bit of a surprise for me, I did't think they would get that many. No love for "We smoked it all" Cliff Harris, he was an All American as a sophomore. Also, I bet Oregon's QB Darron Thomas wishes he stayed for his senior year ...... But a lot of undrafted free agents to sign.

Any thoughts?
Just hope the Redskins have a good offensive line. When RG III starts taking hits he becomes pretty ineffective.

PAC 12 fell short in the number of picks this year, USC only had three players picked. Although lots of action in the undrafted free agent selections. So for the early departure for Ducks QB, Darron Thomas has done nothing, four ducks picked up as free agents while Thomas sits by the phone wondering if he should have stayed in school. SEC lead all with I believe 41 picks.

Surprised to see the Jets picked up Robert Griffin out of Baylor in the draft.

Alan":bdpvuqoi said:
PAC 12 fell short in the number of picks this year, USC only had three players picked. Although lots of action in the undrafted free agent selections. So for the early departure for Ducks QB, Darron Thomas has done nothing, four ducks picked up as free agents while Thomas sits by the phone wondering if he should have stayed in school. SEC lead all with I believe 41 picks.

He's Robert T. Griffin, a 6-foot-6, 333-pound offensive lineman who was originally recruited as a 370-pound cheeseburger of a man. He's not RGIII, but he does go by three different nicknames -- "RGII,'' "Deuce,'' or "Big Griff,''

TexasBred":23uhgw1t said:
Alan":23uhgw1t said:

He's Robert T. Griffin, a 6-foot-6, 333-pound offensive lineman who was originally recruited as a 370-pound cheeseburger of a man. He's not RGIII, but he does go by three different nicknames -- "RGII,'' "Deuce,'' or "Big Griff,''

Just for fun I thought I would throw a big chunk of bait out for folks, I knew if anybody was in the know it would be you. :D I hope you were wearing your Ducks hat while you cut my line. :lol:

What's the chance of the same team having two Robert Griffins? Mike smith's maybe.
Alan

Hey Kathie if you're lurking, your boy from Boise St (Moore) was picked up by the Detroit Lions as a undrafted free agent.

Alan

Alan":2z7ln0tw said:
Just for fun I thought I would throw a big chunk of bait out for folks, I knew if anybody was in the know it would be you. :D I hope you were wearing your Ducks hat while you cut my line. :lol:

What's the chance of the same team having two Robert Griffins? Mike smith's maybe.
Alan
Alan I hate to admit it but I went to see Baylor a couple of times this year and saw this big dude. Got to see the Ags beat them too...they put a lot of pressure on JGIII that day, getting 5-6-7 sacks, rattled him badly and basically had him running for his life. That's why I made the comment about the Washington offensive line. :lol: (The Duck hat is about shot...gotta get a new one ordered).

Alan":1sl1mevn said:
Hey Kathie if you're lurking, your boy from Boise St (Moore) was picked up by the Detroit Lions as a undrafted free agent.

Alan
Saw that in the Boise paper, Alan. I really thought he'd get snatched right up. Moore said he didn't get where he was going the way he wanted to; but that's where he wanted to go. So, crap, I guess I might have to watch some Pro ball this year. :)

Kathie in Thorp":176j2mwa said:
Alan":176j2mwa said:

Alan
Saw that in the Boise paper, Alan. I really thought he'd get snatched right up. Moore said he didn't get where he was going the way he wanted to; but that's where he wanted to go. So, crap, I guess I might have to watch some Pro ball this year. :)
Too short and not enough arm strength !

TexasBred":2u324v1n said:
Same problems Doug Flutie, Drew Brees and Colt McCoy had. ;-)
I was with you till McCoy. That's like playing which one doesn't fit, or better yet which one sucks. :lol:

Isomade":1jc42jl1 said:
TexasBred":1jc42jl1 said:
I was with you till McCoy. That's like playing which one doesn't fit, or better yet which one sucks. :lol:
Isom he's always won...he just happens to be on a pretty shytty team right now. We'll see tho.

TexasBred":2rbrf4my said:
Alan":2rbrf4my said:

Any thoughts?
Just hope the Redskins have a good offensive line. When RG III starts taking hits he becomes pretty ineffective.

I don't know that the Redskins have much at all to protect RG3. Isn't he a run around QB? If he can get rid of the ball when he's going to take a hit, he could be effective. I just hope the Colts can get more protection for Luck. The way things stand now, Luck will be on the injured list after one game. At least he's a big man, able to take hits.
BTW, how much are these guys giving up for fortune and fame? Jr Seau was a monster in the middle of the line. Despite playing for the Patriots in his later years, he was a great footballer. Dead of suicide. It will be a long time before they report on the condition of his brain. It could just be "Athlete dying young", when the fame goes the depression settles in.
He could have taken enough concussions to make him loopy...he likely delivered more concussions than he took.

Seau's ending, such as we know it now by suicide, is sad. But much like we see with movie or musician celebrities and other sports names from time to time . . . . maybe not drugs, but maybe debts, "betting on the come," I've heard it called. When they move ahead with debt, thinking the fame will last forever. And it doesn't. And their worlds collapse, if they think their worlds have only a dollar value. I don't know.

Isomade":2j6lrhm3 said:
TexasBred":2j6lrhm3 said:

No kidding. McCoy was a really good college QB but that doesn't always guarantee success in the NFL. There's a pretty long list of Heisman winning college QBs that were busts in the NFL. Yes, I know McCoy didn't win the Heisman but you get the point. I hope he makes it, got nothing against the kid, but I'm skeptical.

Tom Brady, on the other hand, was a 6th round pick and now look where he's at. You just never know.

Kathie in Thorp":i3x5mmr0 said:
Seau's ending, such as we know it now by suicide, is sad. But much like we see with movie or musician celebrities and other sports names from time to time . . . . maybe not drugs, but maybe debts, "betting on the come," I've heard it called. When they move ahead with debt, thinking the fame will last forever. And it doesn't. And their worlds collapse, if they think their worlds have only a dollar value. I don't know.

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head, Kathie. Lots of factors can enter into such a tragedy, but the fact is that some make the transition from fame and fortune to the "real world" better than others. And in the case of pro athletes that transition comes at a very young age when they have their whole life ahead of them. Not that they're gonna get much sympathy considering the money they make.

There's also solid evidence that multiple concussions often lead to mental health problems later in life. When I heard about Seau I immediately thought of Dave Duerson:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/03/sport ... erson.html

VanC":34754crt said:
Kathie in Thorp":34754crt said:

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head, Kathie. Lots of factors can enter into such a tragedy, but the fact is that some make the transition from fame and fortune to the "real world" better than others. And in the case of pro athletes that transition comes at a very young age when they have their whole life ahead of them. Not that they're gonna get much sympathy considering the money they make.

There's also solid evidence that multiple concussions often lead to mental health problems later in life. When I heard about Seau I immediately thought of Dave Duerson:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/03/sport ... erson.html

The media and fan's have made a lot of these guy's God's they worship as well. They wake up one morning and no one remembers their name and they can't handle it. They have come to believe they really are important. There is some other society stuff showing up here as well.

VanC":1z47o19b said:
Isomade":1z47o19b said:
TexasBred":1z47o19b said:

No kidding. McCoy was a really good college QB but that doesn't always guarantee success in the NFL. There's a pretty long list of Heisman winning college QBs that were busts in the NFL. Yes, I know McCoy didn't win the Heisman but you get the point. I hope he makes it, got nothing against the kid, but I'm skeptical.

Tom Brady, on the other hand, was a 6th round pick and now look where he's at. You just never know.
I agree....Brady would probably still be on the bench if Bledsoe hadn't got hurt. Now look at him. :nod:

I dont know if Colt McCoy is a bust or not. He went to a team that last year had no one to carry the ball, nobody to catch the ball, only one good offensive tackle....the rest were bums...and heaven forbid if McCoy got a pass off, they usually dropped it... Personally I dont think McCoy has the arm. He did, before he got cheap shoted in the A&M game in his sophmore year. Before that he had a CANNON.. I know because I saw many of his games in person...Before the injury, the Longhorns use to run the fly pattern,,, after it....forget about it.

Concerning Junior Seau, who knows...the average age for all EX-NFL players is 51 years of age. Its tough going from BMOC to normal Joe Blow. I know it was a big change for me, and I was outa there in my freshman year with a blown knee.

Latest posts