Newest Additions

Help Support CattleToday:

nathan arizona

Reaction score
Two of the four newest additions - first one born 6/6. 2nd born 6/12. I think I'll keep the first girl. I really like her mom's disposition. The latest one was born Thursday, but his momma is doing a great job of keeping him hid. I've only gotten a really good look at him once, and frankly, he wasn't the most impressive calf I've ever seen.

Calves this year have been much lighter than last year. We had some problems last year with big calves. Lost a heifer and had one calf die, so I moved the moms to a pasture with a little less grass this year and I think it kept their weight in check. Thanks to the folks on this site for that advice.

So four down and two to go. One looks close. The other one, I had preg checked. She certainly still looks pregnant, but almost no bag at all. Should I get concerned on that one? Theoretically, if she got bred in the last weeks the bull was here, she could still be 6 weeks away.

Nice calves, and I wouldn't worry about the other cow yet. It's not unusual for mature cows to not show much until the last few days.

Nice surprise today. Our fifth calf of six was born yesterday. We were looking for him when I thought I saw him stealing milk from one of the other cows. I thought this was weird, since there shouldn't have been any need for him to steal and the momma is a good one. Then my wife and I realized we were looking at twins (the two on the left)! The calf we were looking for was hiding in the woods with his mom. This is our first set. We'd just never seen the bigger of the two. They both seem to be fine, though one is tiny.

NE cowboy. Calve this late because of when I could rent the bull. I bought one this year and hope they breed back quick, so we can move it up a bit. It's really too hot here to calve this late, but so far this year we've gotten away with it.

Dogs and cows - middle of the state. Near Asheboro.

Just an update - the cow I was worried wasn't pregnant calved today (or last night). Still never developed much of a bag. It's the worst week of the year for it. Mid 90s here. When I found her this AM, I thought the calf might not make it. Tiny calf and it looked like it was struggling. But this PM, it was up and nursing. She's got the calf way back in the woods, so not much of a photo opportunity.

So all are done, all mommas are healthy and I've got a young bull in there with them, hoping he will go ahead and get them bred so we can get them all to calve a little earlier next year. Hope he's doing his job - I've seen some evidence.

Latest posts