Newbie question What does wt and cwt mean?

Help Support CattleToday:

ranching mn":2d13adz1 said:
Sorry about the stupid question but what does it mean?!? Example
A 5wt calf. Thanks! Db :cboy:

A 5wt calf weighs 500 or more pounds. (lbs) More than a 4wt calf, but less than a 6wt calf. ;-)

cwt is an abbreviation for hundredweight, which is the price per 100 lbs of calf. Most livestock destined for feeder and slaughter livestock is sold on the basis of weight and so many $ per cwt. In general, lighter livestock sells for more $$$ per hundredweight than heavier livestock.

Breeding stock male and female is mostly sold on a per head basis.

Also very light young and newborn calves sold seperately from the mama cow are sold on a per head basis rather than cwt. HTH

I agree with John SD.
But add:
The c in cwt is the roman numeral designation for 100.
The wt in cwt is an abbreviation of weight.
Which gives you "cwt is an abbreviation for per hundredweight" as John stated.

John SD":ow6apw1c said:
ranching mn":ow6apw1c said:
Sorry about the stupid question but what does it mean?!? Example
A 5wt calf. Thanks! Db :cboy:

A 5wt calf weighs 500 or more pounds. (lbs) More than a 4wt calf, but less than a 6wt calf. ;-)

cwt is an abbreviation for hundredweight, which is the price per 100 lbs of calf. Most livestock destined for feeder and slaughter livestock is sold on the basis of weight and so many $ per cwt. In general, lighter livestock sells for more $$$ per hundredweight than heavier livestock.

Breeding stock male and female is mostly sold on a per head basis.

Also very light young and newborn calves sold seperately from the mama cow are sold on a per head basis rather than cwt. HTH

I do not understand why lighter sells for more. Will someone please explain. Thank you.

It is because there are usually greater profits to be made on the lighter weight calves. Here is an example:
Say you have pasture capable of producing gains of 2 pounds per day available to you at a cost of $15 per head per month. You can buy either 400 pound calves, 500 pound calves or 600 pound calves. Let us say, just for this example, that all three groups of calves are similar except for age and weight, and they are all priced at $2 per pound ($200 per cwt). You will sell these calves to a feedlot at 900 pounds for $1.50 per pound ($150 per cwt). The 400 pound calves will cost you $800 and will take 250 days to reach 900 at a cost of $125. The 500 pound calves will cost you $1000 and take 200 days to reach 900 at a cost of $100. The 600 pound calves will cost $1200 but only take 150 days to reach 900 with pasture costing $75.
400 pound caves…..Sell for $1350 less calf cost $800 less pasture cost $125 = Profit of $425
500 pound caves…..Sell for $1350 less calf cost $1000 less pasture cost $100 = Profit of $250
600 pound caves…..Sell for $1350 less calf cost $1200 less pasture cost $75 = Profit of $75
As you can see, in this situation, unless I pay less per pound for the heavier calves, I am going to make less profit. The closer the cost of gain is to the value of that gain, the less difference there will be between light weight and heavy weight calves.

Latest posts