Newberry Castrating Knife

Help Support CattleToday:

Howdyjabo

Reaction score
thought I'd pass this along.........

I bought one for Hubby a few months ago.
Its a real slick tool.
Cutting is safer and faster- and the calves are doing better being cut with it.

I have always used that knife. Had the local vet call awhile back asked if he could bring out a college kid learning vet medicine the next time we cut small bulls. Kid came out and he would cut the bottom 1/3 of the sack off and then he used a henderson castrating tool and a cordless drill to twist the nuts off. Talk about crude and time consuming.

Then the old vet broke out the newberry and showed him how to castrate cattle. I felt bad for the kid he is paying a bunch of money to learn the latest high tec ways of castration and vet medicine. And the old vet showed him the old way still works better and is faster. I bet he wonders what he is actually paying for. But you are right it is a wonderful knife.

I know I couldn't believe it myself and I was watching it with my own eyes. After the first bull I got the old vet off to the side and asked him exactly what you said. He said that is what they are made for.

I thought about getting hubby a cordless drill attachment to work on the big calves nuts. Hes getting old and those big boys nuts seem to be getting harder and harder for him to handle.
I know for sure I can't take that job over- I can't even get my hand closed around them let alone have the cahonies to pull them out :)

Latest posts