Newb Question about calf feed

Help Support CattleToday:

Stinson Farms

Reaction score
I was just wondering what would be the best store bought feed to feed calves so they pack on the weight the quickest. Im still fairly new to having my own cattle, ive been around them pretty much all my life but never had my own. Ive got two calfs of my own now, they weigh between 185 and 250 id guess both heifers, and both fully weaned. But to make a long story short im tryin to figure out what would be the best store bought feed to give them to really pack on the pounds over the winter. The reason why i say store bought is there is only tractor supply and southern states were i live. I would really appreciate some input

Most Tractor Supply Cattle feed is made by Purina and sold under private labels. Look for a calf starter if they have one. If not see if you can find a good 16% Textured horse feed. Either from TSC will cost a lot and most likely be in a 40 lb. bag.....saw corn today at a store in 30 lb. bags...that was a first.

Present Mr. Stinson: I get a sweet feed (18%) that is mixed by a local supply mill in southern Ohio. A sweet horse feed available at TSC would do- just go by the protein percentage. I also throw in a couple of cups of Calf Manna, available at TSC.

I use a grower ration from my local feed store with 14 percent protein and 5 percent energy. Try to find a feed with more energy or add a little corn to it.

Stinson Farms":3gqwbavn said:
I was just wondering what would be the best store bought feed to feed calves so they pack on the weight the quickest
At the risk of catching heII for not answering your question, what are your plans for these heifers ~ replacements or finish? I ask because its not a good idea to let young replacement heifers get too heavy at their age. Research shows that it has a negative impact on their reproductive success. Just trying to give you information you may not be aware of.

angie":2wq743y5 said:
Stinson Farms":2wq743y5 said:
I was just wondering what would be the best store bought feed to feed calves so they pack on the weight the quickest
At the risk of catching heII for not answering your question...
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

The only plans i have at the moment for the heifers is to just feed them out and sell for beef. As im just a small operation and dont think ill be getting into breeding, leaning more to a feedlot finish operation, its just more of a hobby farm than anything.

I have fed the feed from TSC and Southern States and I like the feed and price better at Southern States. You have to watch what you buy either place. Either place sell some junk feeds as well as some good feeds. I liked the stocker/Grower at TSC but am now buying the same feed at Southern States. The best feed that Southern States sell is the Fast Start. It is made for calves and weaned calves but I know of large Purebred operations that are buying this feed by the truck loads and feeding to the mature herd.

HomePlaceAngus":2gp0uqlg said:
I have fed the feed from TSC and Southern States and I like the feed and price better at Southern States. You have to watch what you buy either place. Either place sell some junk feeds as well as some good feeds. I liked the stocker/Grower at TSC but am now buying the same feed at Southern States. The best feed that Southern States sell is the Fast Start. It is made for calves and weaned calves but I know of large Purebred operations that are buying this feed by the truck loads and feeding to the mature herd.
Checked out the Coop website. Looks to be a well run operation priding itself in quality. I'd probably pay extra for their feed rather than use the TSC junk.

If you have a local feed mill, that would be your best bet for price. Go and ask if they have a 14% calf ration. I used a pellet but a textured feed is fine too. You are looking at feeding about 4 lbs. per day per head. Buying stuff at TSC or any chains like that is for the birds. The mark up is ridiculous. Anyway, get them on that starter for a few weeks and the

150-220 weight calves are hard to get going. I have had a bunch and they just don't grow. Right now I have a couple, they are on good alfalfa hay and 4 lbs/day of a beef protein supplement. The tiniest one, bough around 180 lbs I don't think has gained anything but at least she hasn't lost. You are at the point that they are hardly starting to ruminate efficiently, and really they should still be on milk.

When feeding out heifers don't most producers add MGA to keep them from cycling and increase feed efficiency etc? Or is that outdated.

Latest posts