New " used " truck almost

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars

Reaction score
Last month I had a calf shot and killed. So this weekend I took my grand kids to the farm for a little fishing ,hunting , and misbehaving. Saturday evening as we were driving to our hog blinds I spotted a Nissan Frontier pickup sitting in my back pasture. Well we do not own one, so I drove over and could tell it had not been there very long. The door was unlocked so I honked the horn several times and waited, no one showed. Hard shell rifle cases in the bed of the truck, so I did not want to take my gkids into the woods. Now I am really pi$$ed. Drove to the barn and got my tractor and a chain. Hooked up the truck and dragged it to my cabin, and waited. Again no one showed, now itis past dark about eleven p.m.. Hooked up the tractor and dragged it out to the highway. Called the sheriff, deputy said sounds like an abandoned vehicle, would make a nice flat bed farm truck. I laughed and said when they received a report of a stolen truck where they could find it. Started to pull all four valve stems , but I didn't. Vehicle sat there for two days, and then there was a knock on the door. A man and two teenagers had knocked. He introduced himself and the kids. They had been dove hunting,down an oil road and entered the property thru a neighbors gate. The boys were quite contrite and apologetic. Dad said the boys are available free of charge for a lot of fence work or whatever else needed to be done as long as it was hard labor

It is nice to hear about a Dad having his boys take responsibility for their actions. I enjoyed the story.

Its about time kids had to pay for there own broken windows! Its good to know there are still people in this country who don't believe there children do no evil and are intitled to anything they want at no cost. A BIG thank you to that daddy!

bd, calf shot in bottom pasture, followed blood trail to the woods where she died. I asked the dad if kids had been previously hunting, he said no today was opening of dove season and he keeps his guns locked in keyed safe. So probably not them.

Hook, I let the kids have the pickup. They said they would be at the farm early Saturday morning, so I guess I will wait and see. I need to erect a temporary fence so the county can repair a sink hole next to a highway drainage. Sounds like a good job for the boys of course with my watchful eye. Maybe the kids learned to respect other people's property, and I can always use a hired hand now and then.

thendrix":1ils7e0d said:
Its about time kids had to pay for there own broken windows! Its good to know there are still people in this country who don't believe there children do no evil and are intitled to anything they want at no cost. A BIG thank you to that daddy!

There is a big problem in this country with parents thinking their children are snowflakes. So much so, that my kids don't get to have but a few other kids over for sleepovers. I demand permission from their parents to whoop their little arse's if they get out of line, and I guess most "parents" don't like that idea.
Happy to hear this man brought his youngin's over for a talk.

the way i see it is that is just as much the dads fualt as the boys i know i am not a whole lot older than these kids and the way i was brought up i have allways known right from wrong and my dad never had to do this with me. so my point is if he is doing his job it should never of happend but i am glad he is handleing it this way.

denvermartinfarms":1rabv971 said:
the way i see it is that is just as much the dads fualt as the boys i know i am not a whole lot older than these kids and the way i was brought up i have allways known right from wrong and my dad never had to do this with me. so my point is if he is doing his job it should never of happend but i am glad he is handleing it this way.

I agree with you to a point. But at the same time, I was brought up knowing right from wrong as well but that didn't stop me from doing things I shouldn't have. Especially when peer pressure was involved. Maybe the kids told the dad they had permission, or they were going somewhere that they did have permission but went to papavillars place instead.

thendrix":1vj0xgwv said:
I was brought up knowing right from wrong as well but that didn't stop me from doing things I shouldn't have.
Boy aint that the truth!

thendrix":kg61kwyv said:
denvermartinfarms":kg61kwyv said:

I agree with you to a point. But at the same time, I was brought up knowing right from wrong as well but that didn't stop me from doing things I shouldn't have. Especially when peer pressure was involved. Maybe the kids told the dad they had permission, or they were going somewhere that they did have permission but went to papavillars place instead.
i completly understand what you mean i guess that maybe i was just difrent in that i never thought about doing things like this.

denvermartinfarms":3ilcv33f said:
i completly understand what you mean i guess that maybe i was just difrent in that i never thought about doing things like this.
I never gave it much thought either, just jumped in and did things

As a kid me and a little pack of friends rode three wheelers a lot. It was our mode of transportation. We were always mindful of where we rode. In fact all of our parents farms joined, and we only rode on those farms. Once the county was straightening some curves in the road. We did get out and ride up and down on it one day. An elderly lady called our parents to tell them what we were doing, and the we were upsetting her peace At the time I considered it no mans land. Looking back on it, it was slightly inconsiderate. I felt bad for a long time that we had upset her. The way the young people terrorize my neck of the woods, cutting fences, mudding, etc is inexcusable. I can't imagine any of their parents care. It's good someone thought enough to have them come to you. They did have a truck to reclaim though

Well I drove to the farm Friday evening wit my brother and nephew. I was hoping the boys would show up Saturday morning. About ten p.m., I received a call Grayson Community College needed some work done the next morning. So much for the best laid plans. I loaded up drove home and left my brother at the farm. The next morning my brother was sitting on the patio drinking coffee and watching the sun come up and noticed a truck pulling into my place. Inside was not only the two boys but two men also. Mr.hicks said the boys were ready for a little or a lot of hard work. Joe thanked them and said he would bring the home when finished. The boys helped unload a ton of corn for deer hunting, all in barrels and easy to loadin to the fel. Then my brother said you boys fish, and took them to my top pond to catch early morning bass. They caught plenty and , then he took them to our stands and got them ready for the up coming bow season. They all worked on the 4wheelers and then of course they had to field test them. Cooked burgers on the grill for lunch and then in the afternoon took them dove hunting in the top pasture. They checked the feeders in the evening to make sure they were operating then took them home. Called me to let me know what went on, I said I thought they were going to work! He said, naw he and I can handle the work and the boys were apologetic and seemed like a couple of good kids that made a small mistake. Also remember,We had done a lot worse. Oh well at least they showed.

papavillars":19dc4tn6 said:
Well I drove to the farm Friday evening wit my brother and nephew. I was hoping the boys would show up Saturday morning. About ten p.m., I received a call Grayson Community College needed some work done the next morning. So much for the best laid plans. I loaded up drove home and left my brother at the farm. The next morning my brother was sitting on the patio drinking coffee and watching the sun come up and noticed a truck pulling into my place. Inside was not only the two boys but two men also. Mr.hicks said the boys were ready for a little or a lot of hard work. Joe thanked them and said he would bring the home when finished. The boys helped unload a ton of corn for deer hunting, all in barrels and easy to loadin to the fel. Then my brother said you boys fish, and took them to my top pond to catch early morning bass. They caught plenty and , then he took them to our stands and got them ready for the up coming bow season. They all worked on the 4wheelers and then of course they had to field test them. Cooked burgers on the grill for lunch and then in the afternoon took them dove hunting in the top pasture. They checked the feeders in the evening to make sure they were operating then took them home. Called me to let me know what went on, I said I thought they were going to work! He said, naw he and I can handle the work and the boys were apologetic and seemed like a couple of good kids that made a small mistake. Also remember,We had done a lot worse. Oh well at least they showed.
Great story. Re-watched SECOND HAND LIONS for the 4th or 5th time last night. I see the same psychology at work at your place. :)

Well,I agree with his thought, not what I would have done, but I left him to handle it and he did. This is the same brother that fought on thre continents and took me to Angola, so I would not miss all the fun. Seems he knows what is important now.

Latest posts