New TWH for me!

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Picked up my new horse today. A TWH mare. 8 years old and a great ride. Bomb proof like I need. She is a big'un at 16.5 hands. Solid black and out of Pusher blood. She is bred to a gaited registered Leopard Appaloosa stud. I'll post pics when I can.

Please do - I'd love to see pictures! A TWH is what I need for my husband. I think he's getting a little tired of the Quarter Horse bounce.

Friend of mine has a Pruvian Paso Fino,mountan type..
These are heavier boned,and less spooky,mostly because the ones that spooked fell off the mountan! These are the ones that throw their front feet out,not the ones that take 100 steps to go 5 feet. Easy rideing horse,and beautiful..

The TWH and Peruvian Pasos are great riding & trail horses. Very smooooooth! My wife took our 3 yo TWH filly on a trail ride in Vernon, TX area a while back. She had never done one. Did great...even out paced the QH's and crossed 2 creeks without problem.

We have a 13 yo PP mare and a 2.5 yo PP filly that are very sharp. Mare is great under saddle. We're trying to move out our PP and just concentrate on the TWH's. Our black TWH mare just had a sharp looking Palomino colt! Our 27 YO Palomino mare is due to foal May/June this year. She looks good for an "old lady"!

Here we have 2 TWH stallions. A silver buckskin (according to Univ of TN DNA lab) and a mahogany bay one.

Wish I wasn't so fragile...would like to ride and etc.

I live right in the heart of TWH country. The world champs are crowned about 25 miles away from me in Shelbyville, Tennessee. There are no shortage of great TW horses around here. My requirement was that I wanted one for trail riding and not the show ring. I wanted a sure footed mountain ridden horse with that TWH gait. I also needed one that would not flinch from deer, rabbits, quail etc.. I have found the perfect mare for me. She is as gentle as a lamb, sure footed and big and strong. She was born and bred to the owners of a horse camp ground on the Big South Fork WMA which is some pretty tough and rough mountain terrain. She was trail ridden exstensively and has allot of mountain trail rides on her.

Okay here is where some of my inexperence with horses comes in...what does the TWH mean? Sounds like the kind of horse I should have.

I rode some yesterday and had a good time. I kept the ride short as my current saddle doesn't seem to fit too well and I was sore all over from putting in 900 feet of 1.5" water pipe on Saturday. I just rode around the farm due to the saddle fit so that I could stay on level ground. I promise that I will post pics soon. I keep forgetting my camera when I go out to the barn.

Running Arrow Bill, if I remember right I saved that picture you posted of the silver buckskin TWH stud. I was very impressed with that horse.

HOSS":bo1d6f0o said:
I rode some yesterday and had a good time. I kept the ride short as my current saddle doesn't seem to fit too well and I was sore all over from putting in 900 feet of 1.5" water pipe on Saturday. I just rode around the farm due to the saddle fit so that I could stay on level ground. I promise that I will post pics soon. I keep forgetting my camera when I go out to the barn.

Running Arrow Bill, if I remember right I saved that picture you posted of the silver buckskin TWH stud. I was very impressed with that horse.

Yep...helps to have a good saddle fit...lol! Know what you mean about installing pipe. Two years ago 4 of us trenched and laid 2200' of 2" PVC plus several in-ground faucets, shut-off valves, freeze-proof faucets, etc. All were very tired!

Thanks for compliment on our TWH Stalling, "Dusty's Royal Flush"! We are pleased with him. We have collected him and semen tested, with some frozen in storage. Have sold 2 doses of cooled to some people in Maryland, and one on-site breeding job so far. He has turned out to be a very manageable stallion servicing both a "dummy" and a live mare. He just bred our black TWH mare last week also; have, a 3 yo TWH filly of ours who is scheduled next.

Our TWH, "Dusty", is of the plantation flat shod variety, who has 19 ancestors between 1904 and 1949 in the "plantation" style of horse. We don't care for the "Big Lick" TWH variety and IMO, those show horses aren't of much use when it comes to "practical" on-the-ranch or trail riding. ;-)

Running Arrow Bill":1wrapx4m said:
HOSS":1wrapx4m said:

Yep...helps to have a good saddle fit...lol! Know what you mean about installing pipe. Two years ago 4 of us trenched and laid 2200' of 2" PVC plus several in-ground faucets, shut-off valves, freeze-proof faucets, etc. All were very tired!

Thanks for compliment on our TWH Stalling, "Dusty's Royal Flush"! We are pleased with him. We have collected him and semen tested, with some frozen in storage. Have sold 2 doses of cooled to some people in Maryland, and one on-site breeding job so far. He has turned out to be a very manageable stallion servicing both a "dummy" and a live mare. He just bred our black TWH mare last week also; have, a 3 yo TWH filly of ours who is scheduled next.

Our TWH, "Dusty", is of the plantation flat shod variety, who has 19 ancestors between 1904 and 1949 in the "plantation" style of horse. We don't care for the "Big Lick" TWH variety and IMO, those show horses aren't of much use when it comes to "practical" on-the-ranch or trail riding. ;-)

I know what you mean about show vs. trail. This area is very famous for TWH shows. Some of the practices that sometimes goes on of 'SORING" the horses with acid or putting tacks under the shoe to get more high stepping action I find deplorable. This is not as rare as some might think. The competition here is fierce and the money huge. I wanted a TWH that would gait well and be good on trail rides.

Latest posts