New (to me) tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

AZAggie

Reaction score
I'm super excited. I'm taking delivery today of my "new to me" tractor. It's a significant upgrade from the tractor my Dad has.

Clean looking tractor. What transmission does it have?

I've always liked the 40-55 series tractors.

We will mainly use it for planting and baling hay, and a little plowing with a 19ft offset disc. I hope to mostly no till with the drill we have. It has the 8 speed powershift transmission. I played with it last night. I could pull that disc in 6th gear most of the time. And the wind was blowing and I didn't come home covered in dirt!!! By the way, this is what I used before....

It's a significant upgrade for me.

4640 is a good tractor and you will love the power shift. Don't bump it up into too high a gear pulling, you don't want to lug that engine, when pulling RPMs are your friend.

A 19ft offset disk will be all it wants if the disk with take the ground. I've pulled a 24ft tandem disk in 5th 2nd - 3rd pass over the ground.

I had a 1979, 4230 (100 hp) partial power shift (2 gears) with the Soundguard cab. It was about 15 years ago and had been cosmetically restored including new 134a AC system, 3900 original hours. Super nice, comfortable cab. You will love it. I sold it when I retired and let go of all the land I was leasing....too big for the homestead.

littletom":304mbqus said:
Good looking tractor. That old ih must have got hot never seen that much cab missing
That old IH is indestructible. It has had a barn collapse on it and then Dad rolled it down a ravine a few years ago. We pulled it back up, aired up a tire and I drove it out of the ravine. I'm going to do my best not to get in it again, unless it is to move hay bales. I've got to remember 18 steps just to drive the thing because my Dad never really fixes anything. He just modifies the crap out of it.

I got to to plow up some land for my neighbor this past weekend. It was like plowing a beach. That disc just dug into that sand. Had to run in a pretty low gear, and slow to get it done. I also let my city slicker nephew plow for the first time with it as well. Probably not the best place to start him out, but he did fine.

AZAggie":3f46k4ex said:
I got to to plow up some land for my neighbor this past weekend. It was like plowing a beach. That disc just dug into that sand. Had to run in a pretty low gear, and slow to get it done. I also let my city slicker nephew plow for the first time with it as well. Probably not the best place to start him out, but he did fine.

City slicker have to start somewhere to get countrified. Maybe you will have some good help now. Good to hear your tractor is doing good.

Latest posts