New Taters

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":2rwx6tng said:
Broke out the troy bilt today and tilled the garden, plant new potatoes tomorrow.

How deep you plant 'em?

I'm gonna plant some in the bottom of some old water troughs and add dirt/compost all along to them this year.

Tried it on a small scale last year and they had filled a drum with potatoes at harvest time.

Easier to dig too. Just dump the trough over and pick them out. :lol:

I plant in the flat about 4 inches deep and then add soil to them several times with a push plow. Then just roll them out of the hill with a 90 deg frok.
I here of planting in contaners like Mike was saying works great but I don't have any contaners. So I will just plant in a row.
Mike I think it is still just a bit early to plant. If I plant today they should be up in two weeks and once they come up the frost can hurt them. I guess I could keep them covered with soil for another week but still cutting it close.

I've had them get bit by frost and still do fine.

They'll only turn black and come back out with a vengeance. :lol:

My father-in-law always planted his potatoes on St. Patrick's Day, no matter what. I've seen him move snow to get them in. I'd sure like to be working in the garden today. It was 14 degrees (F) at 6:00 am. All local schools called off because of approaching weather. Started sleeting about 9:30 and have almost an inch of ice pellets on the ground now. Supposed to change over to snow this afternoon, 2-5 inches?, then back to sleet and freezing rain with a quarter to half inch of ice to cap everything off by tomorrow afternoon. Hope it doesn't get like it did with last winter's ice storms! I do have a 50 lb sack of Yukon Gold seed taters in the utility room just waitin'!

IMG_8817_1.jpg

I was hoping to get out there pretty soon but it looks like I may have to hold off on that. I sure do miss 20*, haven't seen it for quite some time now.

I planted mine on Sunday. There right next to the 350 onion plants I set out. Gonna see how the new ground grows 'em this year. Cut up and planted 250 pounds. It sure makes it easier with the 'tater planter we built last year.

Jeez, CSutton, year before last I planted 20 lbs and dug a little over 200lbs. What are you going to do with a ton of potatoes?

We sell at a farmer's market. This is a trial year since its new ground, last year we planted 1000 pounds but because we had so much rain, we only made about 2500 pounds. Most of the seeds rotted in the ground.

csutton":36stzdd7 said:
We sell at a farmer's market. This is a trial year since its new ground, last year we planted 1000 pounds but because we had so much rain, we only made about 2500 pounds. Most of the seeds rotted in the ground.

If you put powdered sulphur or your sets they wont rot.
Wife raises them in the green house in tires when the come up I set another tire and she puts her staw compost mix over them.

I did't make any last year either. I was late getting seed potatoes and had to settle for whites because they were out of reds. Planted to quick after I cut them and I believe they also rotted because I got only about a dozen plant up. Did't make any onions either.

Good luck and hope you have a bumper crop this year.

Caustic,

Did you get your taters planted? Im glad I got mine in the ground Sunday, had a nice little rain/storm come through this morning.

csutton":3jnm1ejn said:
Caustic,

Did you get your taters planted? Im glad I got mine in the ground Sunday, had a nice little rain/storm come through this morning.

No the Mrs. came down with the flu Sunday and I have been playing nurse. This is a bad strain going around here, I took her in to the doctor Monday and Wednesday. I told her if I could find some Combotic I could get her up like those old cows when they got down. She didn't find that near as funny as I did.

Good luck in the kitchen....still pretty good there as I have some memory left of my batchelor days.
The closest to the garden that I've been is ordering my seeds. The garden is under two feet of snow...but it is melting. DMc

My taters are in.
Waiting on March 10th to plant field corn.
I need to plant some green beans soon too. I better look up the date.

ga. prime":1wm5814k said:
alabama, which green beans do you plant? I haven't found any I've liked too well. Still looking.

My fave to eat fresh is "Florence" but they don't freeze to well. I plan to plant blue lake this year.

Latest posts