New Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

Cowboy 2.0

Reaction score
Here's one of the new calves. Already have one on feed that I will have pics of soon and one I will be picking up in the next few days.

He's a Lifeline steer.

newsteer.jpg

looks like he was a tough one to break, there's a pretty good knot under his chin. Other than that, the smoky calves are popular up here. Has kind of a big sheath.

Looks like a pretty nice steer. Love that smokey color. Can you tell me more about the knots under the chin, I have a heifer with those and was wondering if they ever go away or if they should be removed.

Has it in the picture, didn't have it when I looked at him, don't know.

looks nice i like smokey next year calf is gonna be a white charolais or white or roan shorthorn

stephE":lpfepkru said:
Looks like a pretty nice steer. Love that smokey color. Can you tell me more about the knots under the chin, I have a heifer with those and was wondering if they ever go away or if they should be removed.

They should go away if they are from the halter under her chin. we have a couple every year that really like to pull back on the lead the first couple days they get tied, and they will get similar knots. but after they relax some and dont pull as much they will go away.

A lot of leg but he looks good. I can't stop looking at his sheath it just catches my eye.

Is he as post legged as he looks, or is it just the hair?

And completely OT, (not having a go at you or anything) why do you guys fit calves legs the way you do? To me they end up looking abnormally straight . . . but legs aren't supposed to be straight. Who began this trend and why? I've just always wondered.

Ryan":2qlh0q35 said:
iowahawkeyes":2qlh0q35 said:
*Cowgirl*":2qlh0q35 said:
nice, but wrong color

Why do you say that? :roll:

I think she prefer's blacks

Well I prefer RED... if anyone cares ;-)

Looks like you will have fun with him. One of the better show steers we see on here.

EDIT

He looks a bit too me as well, however to me, he'll get the benefit of the doubt until theres a better picture.

Keren":1i78fxdw said:
A lot of leg but he looks good. I can't stop looking at his sheath it just catches my eye.

And completely OT, (not having a go at you or anything) why do you guys fit calves legs the way you do? To me they end up looking abnormally straight . . . but legs aren't supposed to be straight. Who began this trend and why? I've just always wondered.

He's not post legged, its just the hair. Thats the way we clip and fit over here. Just one of the many trends to come through.

he looks nice..... he looks a little rough shouldered and little to round for me.........but overall a nice steer

He is a nice calf. He could be a little flatter shouldered and a little better off of his legs on both ends. I don't think he looks like one that will be too straight, you could loosen him up some though. It could be foot trimming, it is not clipping that makes him look like that, his legs aren't clipped that tight. He has too much sheath and when you slick him that sheath will look even bigger. He looks like a typical lifeline, he will either stay racey and high off the ground or you soften him up and you may have something. Based on what you showed on the board he should be good at your county. I like him better than the calf you got 2nd with this time. I wish you would have come and shopped at my place before you went to Prosper. :roll:

mturner719":u24yz1md said:
He is a nice calf. He could be a little flatter shouldered and a little better off of his legs on both ends. I don't think he looks like one that will be too straight, you could loosen him up some though. It could be foot trimming, it is not clipping that makes him look like that, his legs aren't clipped that tight. He has too much sheath and when you slick him that sheath will look even bigger. He looks like a typical lifeline, he will either stay racey and high off the ground or you soften him up and you may have something. Based on what you showed on the board he should be good at your county. I like him better than the calf you got 2nd with this time. I wish you would have come and shopped at my place before you went to Prosper. :roll:

I didn't go to Prosper, Prosper came to me. Luke was down at our county show and brought a trailer load and he was on it.

Looks like a good show steer. I would like him more if he came down in the flank a bit. How old is he? (im not sure if you already said..) His back legs do appear a bit post-legged. I like a little more extension in the neck, but thats just me..ive never met a judge that really cared that much about it. That large bump on his chin is distracting lol! Never had it happen to my calves..its kinda interesting.

Latest posts