new scope

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
This weekend I decided to buy myself a birthday present (nobody else was going to do it). The Cabela's flyer had Leupold scopes on sale with an additional $80 rebate. For the last couple years I have been toying with the idea of replacing the 3x9 on my elk rifle with a 4.5x14. Rifle elk hunting here is 3 point or better. There have been a couple times in the last few years where I have been seriously studying a bull trying to decide if he was legal or not. I decide that a more powerful scope was needed. So with my birthday as an excuse and the rebate making it cheaper I took the plunge.
When I mount it I will transfer the 3x9 to the 30-06. Then the 2x7 that is on the '06 will go to the 243. The the 4x that is on the 243 will have to go to the..... Sighting all these guns in again, I see a lot of shooting in my future.

Leupold's are hard to beat. I only have a couple but couldn't believe the difference once I switched. I even put one on my old 30-30 last year and hunted with it for the novelty. Killed a decent buck opening morning and was more proud of that deer than I had been since I shot my first years ago.

I haven't had the time to mount it yet. But looking through it at 14 power compared to looking through 9 power...... the heck with points, I will be able to count nose hairs.

Two years ago I laid over a stump for a good 30 minutes watching a bull who was much bigger body wise than the cows he was with. He had tall horns but I just couldn't put forks on him. His horns were real red colored from rubbing on the alder trees. And where he was at there was a bunch of red stemmed huckleberry brush behind him. He ended up walking off into the timber never to be seen again. I decided then that I needed more horse power in my scope (or maybe 30 year old eyes).

You'll be happy you upgraded and sounds like you are already regretting not doing it sooner. I know I was, I caught mine on sale or got a deal on them. I'm a tight a$$ though.

Leupolds are in my opinion about the best and i have and have had alot of diffrent scopes there warranty and customer service is very good. anyone i have ever known to have any major problem with a leupold has had it replaced for free and with what they cost that is wort a lot.

denvermartinfarms":3rxh3ojv said:
Leupolds are in my opinion about the best and i have and have had alot of diffrent scopes there warranty and customer service is very good. anyone i have ever known to have any major problem with a leupold has had it replaced for free and with what they cost that is wort a lot.
I have several Leupold scopes. They make a nice piece of glass. I have a Vari X2 on a Remington 700 (sorry 3way) and it has taken a beating on moose, elk, deer and bear hunts with nary a time was it knocked off zero. They are the best scope for the money in my opinion.

Can't beat a Leupold! I buy mine direct from the factory on the Hunter Education instructor pricing program for a great discount that lets me buy one optic a year on special (very special) pricing. So far i have used this program to buy two scopes, as well as using many other Leupold products, and love them all. Hard to beat American made!

I really like Leupold customer service. And it is only an hour and a half drive away. One of the very few guys I have heard of to have trouble with a Leupold scope, literally took it off his gun and drove down to Beaverton. They replaced it. He came home mounted it, sighted it in, and was hunting the next day.
I haven't hunted with anything other than Leupold for years. I wouldn't buy anything less and I will need to win the lottery before I will be able to afford better.

HOSS":2zb4ewct said:
denvermartinfarms":2zb4ewct said:
I have several Leupold scopes. They make a nice piece of glass. I have a Vari X2 on a Remington 700 (sorry 3way) and it has taken a beating on moose, elk, deer and bear hunts with nary a time was it knocked off zero. They are the best scope for the money in my opinion.

Don't worry about it Hoss I actually bought a couple of the dam things last year....a 25-06 and a 243.

Latest posts