New Red Angus Herdsire!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

BRG

Reaction score
This is WR Mr. Red Dawg 5335. We purchased him at a sale a few weeks back and I took this photo today. I think he is a pretty awesome individual. Maybe the thickest rear quartered bull to sell this year, definetly the thickest that I saw and I saw alot sell this spring. He is also extremely long bodied and deep flanked. I saw his dam and she is very deep ribbed and really easy fleshing. She is built just how I want them to be built. This guy also recorded the largest REA ever through the Red Angus Association while keeping his IMF above 3. What do you all think?

Here are his EPDs and Stats:
1.8 48 86 21 45 16

BW: 86lbs
WW: 798lbs
REA: 20.5
IMF: 3.1

Red_Dawg_5335.jpg

Great looking bull Bryan. I wish you luck with him.
I would like to see him with a stronger topline, besides that his faults are few and far between.

Thats a pretty awesome bull. Very eye catching. Outside of his back being somewhat weak, can't see anything wrong with him. Congrats on your pick up

Todd,

We will be selling semen on him after this season. The owners will get first shot at him.

It appears that he has a weaker top line, buthe is so long, something has to give.

BRG":32ovlv03 said:
It appears that he has a weaker top line, buthe is so long, something has to give.

We have seen the same thing is some of our cattle. A lot of it has improved with age.

Maybe we will have to breed them with a little shorter body so as to keep a strong topline.

I see one major fault with him-not his colour-bu tthat he isn't here making my college funds. lol. Great looking bull!!!!!!!!!

AHH-HAAAA! NOW we can look at a bull with OUTSTANDING phenotype and blend it with a Genotype (EPD's) that justifies the travel, concentration, thought, comparisons, dreams and knowing what a breeder wants and needs for the cows he has in his herd! This is one of, if not the best bull I have seen on these posts in a long time! The balance, the depth of body along with full deep rounds, the great shoulder structure smoothly melding into the spring of rib, deep heart girth - just great. Good solid bone structure. Of course, the very first thing that one notices is the concave curve of his topline - however that is characteristic of a bull about his age and size - and his topline WILL level up as he matures a little more. AND the REA!! :shock: His heifers will have a 'jump-start' on Rib-eye Area for your herd's progeny. If you could drop a plumb line from his pin bones down his rump and through his hocks to his feet - he has almost perfect leg positioning with NO sickle hock or cow hock problems showing.

I would like to see a rear view just to establish the thickness profile, but I have no doubts about that characteristic from observing this side view. He has good color, clean throated and well-positioned legs at all four corners.

The only problem that I can see for your breeding program is - you need to start concentrating on your NEXT herd bull which will improve on this one! - - - and that won't be easy! You really did yourself proud, BRG!

DOC HARRIS

What's his reg no. if you don't mind?

That looks like a King Rob to me. They can be a little weak topped, but it sure never hurt their production any.

Maybe not a son, but a grandson or similar.

That is a real nice bull.

If they are going to be a little big, then they better be good.

He looks good.

mtnman

I am usually loathe to criticize an animal, and so I don't weigh in on pics much anymore, having learned what it feels like to be on the receiving end. Having said that, I would have to agree with LA and Doc. Other than the topline, I find no fault in the bull.

Thanks everyone for the great compliments. You really need to see him in person to see how thick, long, and correct he really is. Alot of the pictures out there actually make the bull look better than he really is. But, I am still not 100% happy with this photo. I think he has a better one in him yet.

You are right mntmn, his dam is a King Rob daughter, and his sire is a B571 son. His reg. # is 1046249

KMacGinley":yc08tfvw said:
Nice bull, very impressive, I would breed my blacks to him. :D

Can I do that and still register the calves?
The AAA doesn't allow registration of calves from a Red Angus sire.

No, but the Red Angus association does. I think you can register the offspring as Cat. II.

Latest posts