New ranch ladies!

Help Support CattleToday:

Looks like that pen is strong enough to withstand any bickering over pecking order. Just turn them together and let them fight it out. They settle down pretty quick.

I usually go and get Brown Cow. I introduce them to her and she introduces them to everyone else. Sometimes I let Rocket do the introductions. Shes been here longest.

Nice pen! Bridge timber or 2x12?

I usually go and get Brown Cow. I introduce them to her and she introduces them to everyone else. Sometimes I let Rocket do the introductions. Shes been here longest.

Nice pen! Bridge timber or 2x12?
Thanks! It's 2x12 and bridge timber posts. So the cows do you let them out with the herd right away or do you keep them in a holding pen while the acclimate to the ranch?

Thanks! It's 2x12 and bridge timber posts. So with the cows you let them out with the herd right away or do you keep them in a holding pen while the acclimate to the ranch?
Depends where they came from. Unknown cows spend 2 weeks completely quarantined away from the herd while I watch em to make sure they have no problems.

Known history animals get turned right out after working them. IN THE MORNING!
I will never turn any out after noon ever again. Long story.....

Cows go into the corral and wait to get worked. That seems to be 3-4 days lately. Through the chute they get a couple vaccinations, wormed, a new ear tag, and branded. Then they are kicked out. Nobody gets babied here. It is a swim or sink world. Right now there is 18 cows out in the field. In a few weeks that number will be over 100. The only thing getting names are children and pets. Cows don't fit into either of those categories.

I learned my lesson a long time ago about introducing new animals to the herd. If I ever buy another cow it will be vaccinated and a get a shot of antibiotics (horrors!) and spend at least 10 days in quarantine before getting in with the general population.

Hey now....
Most all my "working girls" have names.
But when ya only have a couple handfuls it's ok I reckon. They got numbers too. Lol

It's a whole lot cheaper in the long run to monitor for a set period of time. One comes home with gawd only knows what and the whole herd gets it!
THAT'S when it gets real expensive.

I've also found they get a bit more comfortable and get to know your habits a bit as well. I spend time walking my fields with very little worry about any crazy cows. Still aware, but not too scared. I have a few friends there is no way I would walk amongst the herd.

Guess I'll elaborate on the turn out b4 noon thing. I want them to know their boundaries. Turned a couple out years ago and it was late afternoon. Only ones I've ever had escape, cept a stupid bull that I loved dearly. They lived at a friendly neighbors for like 3 months b4 I got em back.
So! If I cant make it b4 noon, they wait til the next day.

Last edited:
I have been known to give them a shot of antibiotics when they go down the chute. Haven't done it yet this year. Probably should get back to doing it. The entire herd that will accumulate here in the next mouth or two will be that famous breeding, out of sale yard by truck.

Latest posts