New pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

Engler

Reaction score
I've got a new neighbor that has about 20 acres of grass that is having nothing done with it. In talking to him the other evening he made the coment that he'd thought about fencing off half of it and putting the other to hay ground.

To the best of my knowledge there is little to no fence on the place, there is a pond for water on some of it, there is a possibility of a barn to use. It's in central IA where we can run close to 1pair/acre if you manage it right.

Question 1-What's it worth to rent? CSR is about 60, so row crop has little up side to it. Demand is low for pasture for cows in the area, but horses could be high depending on the neighborhood.

Question 2-Asside from fence, water and other basics, what would I the tennat be responcible for?

Question 3-What am I forgeting? I'm sure that there is a bunch of stuff.

Thanks for any feedback

Get everything in writing in the form of a lease and get it recorded in the courthouse that's my only advice to you. You'll be the only one that can determine what it's worth to you!

Engler":2xwgt9ca said:
I've got a new neighbor that has about 20 acres of grass that is having nothing done with it. In talking to him the other evening he made the coment that he'd thought about fencing off half of it and putting the other to hay ground.

To the best of my knowledge there is little to no fence on the place, there is a pond for water on some of it, there is a possibility of a barn to use. It's in central IA where we can run close to 1pair/acre if you manage it right.

Question 1-What's it worth to rent? CSR is about 60, so row crop has little up side to it. Demand is low for pasture for cows in the area, but horses could be high depending on the neighborhood.

Question 2-Asside from fence, water and other basics, what would I the tennat be responcible for?

Question 3-What am I forgeting? I'm sure that there is a bunch of stuff.

Thanks for any feedback

Fertilizer, lime, herbicide, mowing, fence maintenance, ad infinitum.

Latest posts