New pasture owner, Fertilizer question

Help Support CattleToday:

whalersport

Reaction score
Just inherited 85 acres of pasture with Bahia grass , its been neglected for some years, though it still feeds a heard of angus cattle I would like to get the grass back healthy before starting my own cow/calf operation. Southwest Florida is location I'm willing to listen to all suggestions. Whats the app. cost for fertilizing this size pasture , hiring it out? Thanks

First step is pulling soil samples. You can get them analyzed through a local fertilizer company or the Extension Service. If your local fertilizer company rents buggys and you have a truck that can pull one, that wopuld be the cheapest way to apply whatever needs applying.

dun":z1j013vy said:
First step is pulling soil samples. You can get them analyzed through a local fertilizer company or the Extension Service. If your local fertilizer company rents buggys and you have a truck that can pull one, that wopuld be the cheapest way to apply whatever needs applying.
That is some sound advise! You won't know what your pastures are needing until you first have them tested.
:welcome: to the Boards!

Good advice listed already.
Soil tests are simple and inexpensive. I lease a Bahia field that had been neglected for a decade. The soil test let me know that just applying a regular blend of fertilizer was not the answer. There was a major potassium deficiency. Really helped in getting the land back in shape.

In general, I apply 300 lbs. of fertilizer per acre early in the year. Then apply 150 lbs. of ammonia nitrate per acre after each cutting.
Fertilizer usually costs me $525 per ton. Nitrogen is a little less.

whalersport":3h4rfbiu said:
Just inherited 85 acres of pasture with Bahia grass , its been neglected for some years, though it still feeds a heard of angus cattle I would like to get the grass back healthy before starting my own cow/calf operation. Southwest Florida is location I'm willing to listen to all suggestions. Whats the app. cost for fertilizing this size pasture , hiring it out? Thanks

Dun is right about the samples until you get your ph right you are wasting dollars on fertilizer.
On bahia pasture I always put 200 pounds to the acre. Depends on the blend on the price
I priced 21-7-14 the it was around 550 a ton so the cost is about 55 dollars an acre here .

Tim/South":1yst9uqu said:
Good advice listed already.
Soil tests are simple and inexpensive. I lease a Bahia field that had been neglected for a decade. The soil test let me know that just applying a regular blend of fertilizer was not the answer. There was a major potassium deficiency. Really helped in getting the land back in shape.

In general, I apply 300 lbs. of fertilizer per acre early in the year. Then apply 150 lbs. of ammonia nitrate per acre after each cutting.
Fertilizer usually costs me $525 per ton. Nitrogen is a little less.

I do not think you can get pure 100% ammonia nitrate. Last I bought had to be in a blend. That is to prevent you and I creating a bomb. I think the only way to get your nitrogen is with Urea. It can be treated to keep it from vaporizing off as rapidly. The last I bought was 29% ammonia nitrate with a blend of the two other ingredients. Any way am I right or wrong open to opinions.

If you have weeds I'd recommend spraying them first. There's no point in fertilizing weeds. Other than that I agree completely about soil test and fertilizer.

Rafter S":ltn5zabk said:
If you have weeds I'd recommend spraying them first. There's no point in fertilizing weeds. Other than that I agree completely about soil test and fertilizer.

Amen a forage workshop I attended years ago was given by a Phd from Overton part of TAMU.
He stated for every pound of weeds growing in you pasture is taking up the nutrients for five pounds
of grass. So 6 pounds of weeds is doing away with the amount of grass to feed one cow a day.
The bigger thing about weeds with most you have a soil problem that needs to be addressed.
We were so wet this year and the carbonic acid I know is high in my bottom pasture by checking the ph as it is low.
It looks like crap right now I can't get in to spray and the lime truck will get stuck.
Soon as it dries out that issue will be resolved.

Latest posts