New Pasture in rough shape, where to get help?

Help Support CattleToday:

Rcole1310

Reaction score
So I run 47 head of Angus. I just started my operation a year ago and I've been paying a grazer to do most of the management so my forage knowledge is very limited. I just leased a 45 acre pasture on the Texas gulf coast and I'm hoping to move about 12 of my heifers to it this summer. Its been neglected for a year. I have a call in to the county extension agent to see what help I can get. I think the pasture rehab will be a fun project for me if I can just get educated on it. I have also read previous post suggesting taking a soil sample. I plan to do that this week. My question is, (1)can anyone tell by the pic what grass is in this pasture? I know its not a great photo but I'm trying to determine if there is edible forage that needs to be weeded and fertilized, or, there's nothing there good for the herd to eat and I need to start from scratch. I'm going to have it mowed as soon as it dries up a bit. (2) Should I spray herbicide before or after mowing? I'm shooting to make this 45 acres as productive as possible as quickly as possible. I REALLY appreciate any guidance or advice. Thanks!
pasture12.JPG

pasture31.JPG

pasture41.JPG

pasture_21.JPG

Looks like mostly weeds and spring grasses, it is hard to tell from the pictures what it is, get a knowledgeable person to walk the field with you, it may not be enough grass there to go to the expense of herbicide and fertilizer, it may need a heavy discing and reseeded, need feet on the ground to make that decision because it will be costly any which you go. :cboy:

Spray Herbicide (1qt per acre of 24D) and fertilize per your soil sample. There is probably a good stand of native grass there but the weeds have suppressed it. Once you get the weeds killed the grass will get the moisture and nutrients that the weeds where robbing from it. The grass will take off like a rocket and you can then see what you have or don't have. If you decide that you want to or need to disc and reseed then the fertilize and herbicide will just be a head start on getting it going. Looks to be some Bermuda grass peeking thru on that 2nd pic..

Texas Gulf Coast, how far from the salt water is the pasture, is it affected by the salt, if so all the grass is salt grass , which the cows eats, just don't know if it can be improved, Need someone from the coast to give their option on how they manage it.

Thanks guys for the replys. I'm 40 miles from the gulf coast. I called the extension office. They are in between rangeland agents now but may be able to get a horticulturist (she's rangeland certified) to do a site visit. I'm hoping I don't have to disc and start over. If that's the case, does that mean I won't be able to graze it until next year? Should I mow first the spray? Thanks!

Hard to say, especially considering "40 miles from the Gulf Coast" in Texas could mean somewhere just west of Brownsville on the Mexican border or 500 miles away just North of Orange on the Louisiana border.
Looks to be mostly weeds to me tho--nettle, marestail, bitterweed, and dandelion. Maybe some gama trying to come out.

Rcole1310":15r96u1m said:
Thanks guys for the replys. I'm 40 miles from the gulf coast. I called the extension office. They are in between rangeland agents now but may be able to get a horticulturist (she's rangeland certified) to do a site visit. I'm hoping I don't have to disc and start over. If that's the case, does that mean I won't be able to graze it until next year? Should I mow first the spray? Thanks!

DO NOT MOW before you spray. Just collect some soil samples and then spray...

Get your soil sample . Spray it with 2-4d .fertilize according to the soil sample and see what happens . It will most likely have good grass on it . If it ever had bahia on it . It will come back . 40 miles from the coast I'd bet it has bahia . Regardless the cows will eat weeds if they are fertilized.

JSCATTLE":1c1yj5ar said:
Get your soil sample . Spray it with 2-4d .fertilize according to the soil sample and see what happens . It will most likely have good grass on it . If it ever had bahia on it . It will come back . 40 miles from the coast I'd bet it has bahia . Regardless the cows will eat weeds if they are fertilized.

I agree. It's bound to have bahia or bermuda, or both.

greybeard":qcgk6372 said:
Hard to say, especially considering "40 miles from the Gulf Coast" in Texas could mean somewhere just west of Brownsville on the Mexican border or 500 miles away just North of Orange on the Louisiana border.
Looks to be mostly weeds to me tho--nettle, marestail, bitterweed, and dandelion. Maybe some gama trying to come out.
I agree with Greybeard, Rcole, what county are you located?

Texas has 367 miles of coastline, so saying 40 miles from the coast would give a vast difference of soil types and grasses, that is why posting specific questions , the location should be given. I live in Caldwell Co. Which has 567 sq miles and numerous soil types, black, deep sand, caliche , flint rock , iron ore, red clay, some soils are acid other are not. My ranch has about 5 different soil types that I deal with. Bermuda does good on some soil, native grasses or improved bunch grasses is the best for other soils. The grass established should be compatible to your soil or it will be expensive to keep maintained or even die out.

cowboy43":28wuxocu said:
Texas has 367 miles of coastline, so saying 40 miles from the coast would give a vast difference of soil types and grasses, that is why posting specific questions , the location should be given. I live in Caldwell Co. Which has 567 sq miles and numerous soil types, black, deep sand, caliche , flint rock , iron ore, red clay, some soils are acid other are not. My ranch has about 5 different soil types that I deal with. Bermuda does good on some soil, native grasses or improved bunch grasses is the best for other soils. The grass established should be compatible to your soil or it will be expensive to keep maintained or even die out.

Better put some Brimmer in those Angus when he puts them on the trailer.
I have seen cows standing in the bay with nothing but their head sticking out trying to get relief from the skeeters.
The last place in Texas I would want an Angus is on the coast. Hot,humid, lots of no see ums that bite, poorer quality grasses
in a lot of areas.

Latest posts