New One This Year

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
Some of these wheat farmers must be expecting something bad this year. The harvest is in but they have cut the straw and have piled it under plastic. Normally they would bail it in small squares for bedding. I've seen this with corn but never wheat. Apparently, they think they will need a filler this coming winter.

slick4591":1gafif5r said:
Some of these wheat farmers must be expecting something bad this year. The harvest is in but they have cut the straw and have piled it under plastic. Normally they would bail it in small squares for bedding. I've seen this with corn but never wheat. Apparently, they think they will need a filler this coming winter.

Yields on hay are off 40% in our area. Maybe that plays into it as well?

slick4591":3k8yhplm said:
Slick is it baled?? Got a friend over in Waco who buys a lot of wheat straw in the big 4x8 square bales and hauls it to a mushroom farm down around Madisonville, Texas. Has been doing it for many years.

TexasBred":9l51ig8c said:
slick4591":9l51ig8c said:
Slick is it baled?? Got a friend over in Waco who buys a lot of wheat straw in the big 4x8 square bales and hauls it to a mushroom farm down around Madisonville, Texas. Has been doing it for many years.

No, it's covered in white plastic and looks like a long caterpillar. I forget the term.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3uxrcig3 said:
You mean they blew it into a tube (plastic wrap)? Many farmers here will do green chop or corn silage into tubes.

I guess it's tubes as I don't see it where it might end at the ground like a tarp. Off the road a good ways to get a good look tho and they look to be a couple hundred feet long. Seen this before in corn fields but never wheat. Around here they cut wheat stubble for bedding as I don't think there's a nutritional value worth saving.

TennesseeTuxedo":2ijqzm4q said:
slick4591":2ijqzm4q said:

Yields on hay are off 40% in our area. Maybe that plays into it as well?

That hay I just bought. Guy said his yield was awful. Said he fertilized too.

Latest posts