New Mexico Meadow Jumping Mouse

Help Support CattleToday:

Have I ever mentioned we have lost it?

BTW - we have Meadow Jumping Mice in Georgia. I kill them with rat bait and traps. If New Mexico needs any please have the forest service to contact me and I can round them some up and relocate them to New Mexico where they can become New Mexican Jumping Mice. I think the going rate for rounding animals up for the government is $2000/head and I'll be willing to do it for that.

The forest service here has been trying to shut down all activity above 4,000 feet for the last year or so over a toad and a turtle. They used to be the best of government agencies to work with but now they're no better than any other. They do NOT work for US anymore.

You have to wonder who really runs this country. Sometimes I think its more these agencies than the politicians. I think most politicians are too ignorant to know what they are doing to run things. Just take this Endangered Species or the Clean Water Act. I suspect if any one of us was in office we would vote YES to either of these laws since we all want clean water and we all would hate to see an animal go extinct. But once the law takes affect and we all feel good inside that we've done right its handed over to these agencies that must enforce the law and they do this without any consideration to what is practical or makes common sense and since most of the entrenched "civil servants" have no grasp of economics we have to deal with this crap.

I'm pretty sure it was Reagan that tried to put common sense back into government by passing a law where the government had to look at the benefit cost of these laws. I don't think this law is off the books and maybe someone needs to file suit against these agencies for violating this law.

There is 23 acres that are fenced off a canal has been provided for the cattle to drink outside of the fenced in area calves can go in but no grown cows . There is a natural shallow spring within the 23 acres. Now you guys are cattle people what happens to this spring if the cattle are turned in. I suspect it will become a mudhole and there will be no water at all.

cow pollinater":1bu7e4du said:
The forest service here has been trying to shut down all activity above 4,000 feet for the last year or so over a toad and a turtle. They used to be the best of government agencies to work with but now they're no better than any other. They do NOT work for US anymore.

Really with all of the fires I am surprised that there is any forest in California at all now.

Joseph Kolb

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico (Reuters) - A rural New Mexico county has voted to defy the federal government and give a rancher's cattle access to a watering hole fenced off by the Forest Service in the latest dispute over federal control of public land in the U.S. West.

Commissioners in Otero County voted 2-0 on Monday night to authorize Sheriff Benny House to open a gate allowing nearly 200 head of cattle into the 23-acre area despite Forest Service restrictions. A third commissioner was out of town for the vote.

"We are reacting to the infringement of the U.S. Forest Service on the water rights of our land-allotment owners," Otero County Commissioner Tommie Herrell told Reuters. "People have been grazing there since 1956."

But a U.S. Forest Service spokesman said the fence has also been there for decades, protecting a delicate ecosystem surrounding a natural spring as well as an endangered species of mouse from being trampled by cattle.

The dispute is the latest squabble between federal authorities and conservative states' rights advocates in the West, who want to take back millions of acres of public land from central government agencies.

It comes in the wake of an armed standoff last month between supporters of Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy and federal land managers who sought unsuccessfully to seize his cattle over his longstanding refusal to pay grazing fees.

Bundy and his allies do not recognize federal authority over the land, which has been cleared of other ranchers' livestock to protect the habitat of the desert tortoise.

In the New Mexico case, Forest Service spokesman Mark Chavez said an old barbed-wire fence had recently been upgraded in cooperation with the rancher, and allowed room for a watering canal for the cattle without disturbing protected land.

He said the fence allows calves in and out of the area and there were other watering holes on the rancher's 28,850-acre grazing allotment some 45 miles southeast of Alamogordo.

Herrell said the rancher involved had complained repeatedly to the commission about the fence. The rancher was unavailable for comment on Tuesday afternoon

Chavez said the New Mexico meadow jumping mouse was expected to be listed as an endangered species in June, which would mean those 23 acres would be considered a critical habitat.

"I've never seen one of these mice, and the Forest Service claims they caught one last year," Herrell said.

While Otero County commissioners had given the sheriff approval to obtain a court order lifting the restrictions, Herrell said that House would not act until after local officials meet with the U.S. attorney for New Mexico on Friday.

hurleyjd":9uegki8s said:
But a U.S. Forest Service spokesman said the fence has also been there for decades, protecting a delicate ecosystem surrounding a natural spring as well as an endangered species of mouse from being trampled by cattle.

Since the mouse is nocturnal, how much trampling do cattle do at dark. I think a better approach to saving these "rare" yet abundant mice would be to put a bounty on birds of prey, snakes and mammals that eat them.

Here's another article. Note that the endangered listing for the mouse comes via settlement of a lawsuit by a group of environmental activists. So it isn't biologists who determined the mouse needed protection, it's these enviros and their lawyers. And it says their new fencing arrangement allows for feral hogs to access the water, which is nuts because they will root up the area and do more damage than the cattle!

District ranger James Duran said the Forest Service is taking steps to protect habitat for the New Mexico meadow jumping mouse, which was proposed for listing as an endangered species in June 2013 after a 251-species settlement in 2011 between the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and WildEarth Guardians.

"Fish and Wildlife Services are preparing to list the New Mexico meadow jumping mouse," Mr. Duran told the Alamogordo Daily News. "With the meadow mouse listing, what we've been told is they do plan to move forward in June of 2014 to list that as an endangered species. Once a species is listed as an endangered species it's protected. Federally protected. We have to abide by that."

Two weeks ago, the Otero County Commission issued a cease-and-desist letter to the Forest Service, saying the fence "amounts to nothing short of criminal trespass by your personnel, potential animal cruelty and several other violations of state criminal or civil law."

The agency replaced a barbed-wire fence with a 3-foot pipe fence that elk and deer, but not cattle, can jump over. Hundreds of elk, deer and feral hogs are still able to drink from the creek.

Mr. Moseley said the Forest Service created an opening in the fence for cattle, but Albuquerque lawyer Blair Dunn, who represents the county on the issue, said, "It's really a needle in a haystack for the cows to figure out how to get into the 10-foot space."

The Forest Service fence runs along the county line on the side of a mountain, which ranchers say creates a dangerous situation for cattle and motorists.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... z32AKt8YXI

What's the forest service going to do about the rampant mouse stompings by the elk, deer and pigs? This is so cruel. I just pale at the thought of Mickey Mouse being stomped. Have you ever met Mickey in person? I have. At Disney World in 1972 and he was a nice fella and I pale at the thought of him being stomped into a spot of red goo. To think we would not offer some protection to him is insane. It definitely violates his rights and you might even say its gay bashing which is a hate crime is it not? We need a law making it illegal for elk, deer and pigs to stomp mice. Maybe another law stating its illegal to kill mice using any sort of aerial method. And I think hawks, owls, coyotes and foxes should have to have hunting licenses and pass a hunter safety courses. What gives them the right to just kill at their own discretion with no consideration of bag limits or season. Good lord with all these travesties we just need bigger government to protect us.

My mama cat walked in this morning with one of those Meadow jumping mouses (meeses). Had already eaten the head. Drop the head count by one (1).

TB, though I know its not right to judge and I truly apologize for this but just can't help myself but I do fear that your cat needs some sort of intervention. Some form of mental counseling since it is clear your cat is showing some psychopathic behaviors.

What kind of relationship did your cat have with its mother? Did it hate its father? Was it bullied by the other kittens in its youth? Do you think it might have repressed homosexual feelings? Or possibly some necrotic lust? Was it abused as a kitten? Have you sat down and had a heart to heart discussion with it? When was the last time you told it you loved it? Or gave it a hug? I'd start with the hugs and kisses first but if this doesn't turn your cat around you might want to call Jackson Galaxy. I know it might seem daunting but I'm sure you both can beat this if you work together. Give the man a call. He definitely knows something about being a pussy and could surely help your cat.

Mercy day. Ol' Puss has never been a real problem and has always acted very normal. That being said, I'm afraid if she were made to see Mr. Galaxy she would most likely develop suicidal tendencies. I'm sure he would have some suggestions about going vegan and not licking her butt anymore but that would only worsen things for Puss. I think I"m going to recommend she simply go undercover for awhile, continue to subsist off of what is available and drop by occasionally and leave a track or two on my windshield to let me know she is still ok. Wish I hadn't had her spayed now. This will be the end of a superior line of felines.