Help Support CattleToday:

Gobbler'sKnob

Reaction score
I'm JC, I'm a new member. I've made a few posts already, didn't see this here. Figuring out the forum still.

Mid to late twenties, depending on who's asking and who's telling, getting out of the Army and back into livestock. Got into cattle when I was little, my great grandmother died and left me hers and we ran them in with my grandfather's herd. Long story, but he's the fella that raised me and he treated me like a partner from the day those cattle stepped off the trailer until the day we shipped the last load. Worked me like one too.

Trying to get into cattle, sheep too. Looking at land right now and trying to figure out what breeds and crosses are going to have longevity, as I personally believe that the beef market is going to keep changing and ranching with it.

Other than that, I love guns, I can shoot anything that slings a projectile. Terminal hunter, the bane of wild ungulates, rodentia, and birds. I make stuff. I'm addicted to cutting, hauling, splitting, and storing firewood.

I'm JC, I'm a new member. I've made a few posts already, didn't see this here. Figuring out the forum still.

Mid to late twenties, depending on who's asking and who's telling, getting out of the Army and back into livestock. Got into cattle when I was little, my great grandmother died and left me hers and we ran them in with my grandfather's herd. Long story, but he's the fella that raised me and he treated me like a partner from the day those cattle stepped off the trailer until the day we shipped the last load. Worked me like one too.

Trying to get into cattle, sheep too. Looking at land right now and trying to figure out what breeds and crosses are going to have longevity, as I personally believe that the beef market is going to keep changing and ranching with it.

Other than that, I love guns, I can shoot anything that slings a projectile. Terminal hunter, the bane of wild ungulates, rodentia, and birds. I make stuff. I'm addicted to cutting, hauling, splitting, and storing firewood.
The world needs more people like you :)

Welcome to CT! With a resume like that your gonna for right in!

Welcome.
I like your attitude and work ethic.
I still cut my own wood and enjoy doing it, i bucked up 3 trees today.
I ranched wish my grandpa also and learned so much from him.
My grandkids can't understand why I still cut my wood instead of buying it because they know we can afford it.
Other than liking it, when a tree falls I hate to see it go to waste.
Good luck.

Welcome.
I like your attitude and work ethic.
I still cut my own wood and enjoy doing it, i bucked up 3 trees today.
I ranched wish my grandpa also and learned so much from him.
My grandkids can't understand why I still cut my wood instead of buying it because they know we can afford it.
Other than liking it, when a tree falls I hate to see it go to waste.
Good luck.
Howdy, thank you for the kind words. As far as the woodcutting, tell 'em it'll keep you young! It's worked for you if you have grandkids!

Welcome to the forum, as ex military myself I can say getting into or back into livestock is one of the better options with less transitioning problems than joobs with large staff numbers. For sheep in your area I would look into Dorper or one of the hair sheep breeds, less maitenence,, and there is no money in wool anyway. For longevity, depending on whether you want to run pure bred cattle, or crosses/composites, I would go for a british cross with a Sanga breed, probably easier to breed your own crosses either through AI or, buy a bull if any are locally available, look for Tuli, or Mashona, for fullblood lines, and Bonsmara, Senepol or South Poll as established composites. Dr Lukefahr sell some outstanding bulls from his ranch - https://lukefahr-ranch.com/. Longevity and high fertility are features of African Sanga breeds due to thousands of years of natural selection and harder dentine in their teeth which results in less wear, inclusion as low as 25% makes a noticeable difference.

Latest posts