New Idea 4665

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
Does anyone know the minimum hp requirements for a NI 4665 hardcore baler? I'm having a devil of a time finding a newer baler that is reasonably priced and can be run with a 62hp tractor. :cowboy:

Aaron, when I first started baling hay, I went through the same ordeal that you are going through. I couldn't afford to spend the money for a new tractor, or a new baler, let alone both. I had a decent tractor and wanted a decent used baler. What I found through my research and test of different balers is the rated horsepower is for optimum performance, Just because it is rated at 70 or 80 horsepower doesn't mean the tractor won't pull it, it just means for the optimum performance and fuel efficiency this is the horsepower you will need. I purchased a baler in decent shape as close as I could to the horsepower I had and it worked fine. You may have to pull it a little slower and you may have to burn a little more fuel, but it will still get the job done. After a couple seasons I was able to upgrade tractors and can bale allot faster with less fuel cost. Most all tractor's rated horsepower is less than the horsepower rating of the pto if that helps.

What upfrombottom said
there are several balers that a 60hp tractor will pull
but if you go with a larger baler something that will help is not to try to make as big or as heavy of a bale as what the baler will make and it will help the tractor out
I couldn't find the HP rating in my books for the 4665 but with a 5' x 6.25' ft bale I would guess it would be around 80hp+
have you tried looking at a smaller baler like a 4x5

Angus Cowman":20a7i15s said:
What upfrombottom said
but if you go with a larger baler something that will help is not to try to make as big or as heavy of a bale as what the baler will make and it will help the tractor out
I couldn't find the HP rating in my books for the 4665 but with a 5' x 6.25' ft bale I would guess it would be around 80hp+

I was hoping to stay with a 6x5 bale, as that is what I was making with the 605C and don't really want to make more work for myself making more bales than needed.
:cowboy:

Aaron":3iaxwr4n said:
Angus Cowman":3iaxwr4n said:
What upfrombottom said

I was hoping to stay with a 6x5 bale, as that is what I was making with the 605C and don't really want to make more work for myself making more bales than needed.
yes but running a smaller hp tractor I would say you could probably get as much weight in the 4x5s as your are with a 5x6 because you can run a higher tension on the bales with less strain on your tractor

Angus Cowman":v36kc4mb said:
Aaron":v36kc4mb said:
Angus Cowman":v36kc4mb said:
What upfrombottom said

yes but running a smaller hp tractor I would say you could probably get as much weight in the 4x5s as your are with a 5x6 because you can run a higher tension on the bales with less strain on your tractor

True. Only problem is that 4x5's are very uncommon up here. 4x6 is even more common, but most are 5x6.

A dealer told me that I could probably put that baler on a 62 hp, only I would have to slow my ground speed down and make a smaller (ie 4x5) bale, while still maintaining high tension.

The latest baler I have found is probably the best deal yet. 1999 New Idea 4665 hardcore, 4800 bales, excellent condition, $6500.00 OBO.

Angus Cowman":qeicy7tp said:
wish you were closer neighbor has a 504 Super I Vermeer with only about 5000 bale it could be bought for around $5000
What town in MO is close to the baler? How old is the baler?

Latest posts