New Hog Trap

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Have yall seen this new hog trap they are selling.
It is a steel trap that has been modified so it doesn't clamp down
when it trips it shoots a snare up a hogs leg.
That is going to be a mess when you get a deer in it and get caught by the GW.
Seems like a good way to take a ride and see the JP and loose a gun and vehicle.

http://www.holdahawg.com/products.html

CB: That is expensive unless you are going to get a lot of use from it. We don't have feral hogs to my knowledge. I would have thought hunting them would be the most effective way to control them. If these are feral hogs, is the meat valuable?

inyati13":hgxdq530 said:
CB: That is expensive unless you are going to get a lot of use from it. We don't have feral hogs to my knowledge. I would have thought hunting them would be the most effective way to control them. If these are feral hogs, is the meat valuable?

You can't hunt them out if you have 100 you have to kill 85 a year to stay at 100.
The minute you shoot one or two they will move miles for a week or two.
They are 98% nocturnal I spend many an hour after dark with a laser light on patrol.
In one hour they can turn your hayfield to looking like it has been carpet bombed by B-52's.
You can carry an AR-15 or Mini-14 might as well have your single shot as they bust in every direction
on the compass after the first shot. You are darn lucky if you get the light on a second target.
Trapping is the best method some have become trap wise.
There are some people that hunt with dogs, I would rather have the hogs.
They tear up more fence than the hog and 8 out of 10 of their dogs will bay your cows.
I know their are some ethical dog hunters with quality hounds this bunch here has soured everyone.
They are considered a target and the hunter a trespasser.
I need to get a suppressor.
The hogs can only be sold through an approved buyer as they carry pseudo rabies and brurculosis.
It is illegal to transport except to an approved facility .

gus2121":1x1qcorl said:
CB, have you seen the pens with a heart shaped design?

Yes and have used about every kind of trap you can think of.
I had a sounder that was trap wise that was giving me fits until the other day.
Mrs told me to take out the garbage when I looked up rain had them out of the bottom.
22 Hornet was on the mule so there was an introduction to one.
Caught another a night or two later with the 223 and they have relocated.

gus2121":919ux799 said:
CB, have you seen the pens with a heart shaped design?

Gus the bigger problem is the county I live in is 96% forest most owned by the paper companies.
It is hog heaven and they get feed corn 6 months out of the year by deer hunters.
You can't spotlight them as a hogs eyes don't shine you have to use a laser light and see the hog.

Caustic Burno":3ah7awfx said:
inyati13":3ah7awfx said:

You can't hunt them out if you have 100 you have to kill 85 a year to stay at 100.
The minute you shoot one or two they will move miles for a week or two.
They are 98% nocturnal I spend many an hour after dark with a laser light on patrol.
In one hour they can turn your hayfield to looking like it has been carpet bombed by B-52's.
You can carry an AR-15 or Mini-14 might as well have your single shot as they bust in every direction
on the compass after the first shot. You are darn lucky if you get the light on a second target.
Trapping is the best method some have become trap wise.
There are some people that hunt with dogs, I would rather have the hogs.
They tear up more fence than the hog and 8 out of 10 of their dogs will bay your cows.
I know their are some ethical dog hunters with quality hounds this bunch here has soured everyone.
They are considered a target and the hunter a trespasser.
I need to get a suppressor.
The hogs can only be sold through an approved buyer as they carry pseudo rabies and brurculosis.
It is illegal to transport except to an approved facility .

Not a good situation. Glad we don't have them in this region. I think there are problems in the southeast part of the state. Good luck.

Deepsouth":3mxm34wa said:
CB they put stops on those snares to try and keep them from catching deer. I doubt its 100%.

Yea I looked at one today and thought catch a nanny in one and she go the bleating
GW would be here in 15 minutes. His parents place is close to my back pasture.
Only way you are going to get her out is shoot her.
Being its illegal to trap deer here I would catch one on the first throw.
Being as they will get caught in a box trap from time to time I couldn't see a way to keep
a deer out that wouldn't keep a hog.

I've seen the effects of hogs up in the Crocket, TX area. Buddies and I would go hog hunting every year at M.Y. Ranch. I've seen a levee look like a disc was pulled over it from hogs rotting up.

CB have you tried a q-beam with the red cover over the lamp? Hogs don't see red and give you a little more time to setup on them. Sounds like you need a group of buddies with some night vision scopes. Suppressors would be handy too. ;-)

MudHog":2lqtdvfm said:
I've seen the effects of hogs up in the Crocket, TX area. Buddies and I would go hog hunting every year at M.Y. Ranch. I've seen a levee look like a disc was pulled over it from hogs rotting up.

CB have you tried a q-beam with the red cover over the lamp? Hogs don't see red and give you a little more time to setup on them. Sounds like you need a group of buddies with some night vision scopes. Suppressors would be handy too. ;-)

Yep they need a Delta Force to take them out.
Main reason they are so bad this year is the rain has run them out of all
the thickets in the creek bottoms. My place joins a 6,000 deer lease to the north and one
that big 1/2 mile to the south. This is the staging area from which midnight raids are launched.
You never know if you are the target that night. The city deer hunters like them :devil2:
Wish I could get them relocated to the subdivisions they live in as I believe the love affair
would end.

Just finished recon and all is clear.
Mudhog I use a green game spotter made by Stream Light.
They don't seem to notice at all it is the loud boom that makes they head for the
hills.

I think we had some come to our yard, baby pigs because the part they came to looked plowed. My son showed me a youtube of someone using tanerite on a group of pigs.... Not really my kind of thing, but i'll have to say, i got a little enjoyment out of watching it...
The pigs out where we are, are getting smarter and thats not a good thing.

Hog is nobodies fool seems like every couple of generations they up their game.
What used to work they have become wise to. I think every US Representative and Senator
should have a sounder on their land. Then some money and resources would be allocated to their
eradication. We should maintain a sounder at Gitmo to feed terrorist to.