New Hereford Bull Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Horticattleman

Reaction score
Just recently bought a polled hereford bull to put on a group of Angus/Brangus cows. His reg. papers have a pedigree but no EPD's. Is this normal?

He has no birthweight listed but only that of his sire. It says 105 in the birthweight line with a % sign behind it. I'm confused. Sorry, first bull with papers, other than newspapers.

if you have a registration number on him you can go to the american hereford web site and look it up.

Is he out of a 1st calf heifer and a first breeder bull?

Horticattleman":23dpbuxo said:
Just recently bought a polled hereford bull to put on a group of Angus/Brangus cows. His reg. papers have a pedigree but no EPD's. Is this normal?

He has no birthweight listed but only that of his sire. It says 105 in the birthweight line with a % sign behind it. I'm confused. Sorry, first bull with papers, other than newspapers.

I'm not a Hereford breeder, BUT I think the Hereford Assn allows two types of membership. One reports weights and gets EPDs on their animals, the other doesn't report weights and his animals don't have EPDs. I think you can pay extra and the Association will give you EPDs on an animal you buy. Surely a Hereford breeder will come on this thread and correct me if I'm wrong. :)

If the seller isn't a TPR member, then the epds may not even show up at all, sometimes when a non TPR breeder sells an animal to a TPR breeder the EPD's will click on and it'll show up on your papers. It boils down to hobby people having high dollar animals and they don't bother doing the extra work of weighing at weaning etc, etc. and it can really screw up the lineage of a great animal or even a whole herd. If people are gonna buy registered animals , they should have to adhere to the whole shebang or not get any papers at all. IMHO IMHO But, if somebody is just buying a good bull to put with a bunch of commercial cows then that's one thing but, to be breeding registered stock and not follow through with it is pure BS

Well I was buying this bull for commercial cows. I bought him from a guy who raises commercial cows and buys a few good blood bull calves a year. He raises em up to 2 year olds and sells em. The breeder i guess never recorded the information. I thought you couldn't register it unless that was recorded. Kinda beats the he[[ out of the reason to register. Like I said under the section for the sire it says 105% for sires birthweight. ???

Frankie and Hereford cross are both right. If you buy a calf but are not a TPR breeder, then you will not get EPD's on the papers...unless the animal carries joint ownership with a TPR breeder. You can still look at the performance pedigree though, and if data was reported on the animal, prior to you buying it, then it will reflect there, but only on a percentage base comparison..not actual. If the animal was not reported in a contemporary group then there may be no data in the performance pedigree, because that data is not included in the AHA's NACE.

The 105% means the sire was 105% in his BW group reported on (he was 5% bigger then the average calf). If the average bull in the crop is considered 100%...and lets say that average was 85 lbs, then the sire of your bull was 89.25 pounds. If the average was 100 lbs then your bulls sire would be 105 lbs..savy? Depending on the average weight this could be ok, or bad. Depending on the cows, it could be an indication of a bull you don't want to use on heifers...but the actual weight is really a good idea of a bulls potential too. Call the breeder, maybe he has a record of the actual BW of the sire. If you PM me the bulls info I'll do some research for you and tell you what his potential might be.

If you call the Hereford Assoc. 1 816 842 3757 ask for the records dept. Give them his reg. number, they will tell you his Epd's and any other information they have on him, such as birth weight etc, if it was sent in by the breeder. All reg. herefords have EPD's. They only print Epd's to TPR members but they will release the Epd's to a buyer of a reg. bull weather the the breeder is a TPR member or not.

Herefordcross":iihb2u09 said:
If the seller isn't a TPR member, then the epds may not even show up at all, sometimes when a non TPR breeder sells an animal to a TPR breeder the EPD's will click on and it'll show up on your papers. It boils down to hobby people having high dollar animals and they don't bother doing the extra work of weighing at weaning etc, etc. and it can really screw up the lineage of a great animal or even a whole herd. If people are gonna buy registered animals , they should have to adhere to the whole shebang or not get any papers at all. IMHO IMHO But, if somebody is just buying a good bull to put with a bunch of commercial cows then that's one thing but, to be breeding registered stock and not follow through with it is pure BS

The hobby statement is not true. One of the largest and oldest polled breeders in the state does not participate in the TPR program.
As he claims it is a money generating program for the association.
He ran hundreds of cows for years with out having to pay fees on them to get the epds on his calfs.

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic. ... d25f0f4dcf

Horticattleman":36dg14qv said:

To me the EPD's would have been more important than the papers. That is if the bull had no offspring to look at, or other proof of what you are looking for in a bull.
Seems like you should have asked the seller for the EPD's before you bought him.
Maybe getting the EPD's on sire and dam can help you a little.

TPR sucks at best this is all about money for the Hereford association.
You run 200 momma cows cost you one thousand dollars to keep them in TRP and get the epd's on your calfs.
Most of your calf's are going through the salebarn anyway.
You retain 10 bull calfs this year for sales that are herd bull quality it cost you an extra one hundred dollars a bull to supply your customer with epd's. If you are truely a reputable breeder very few bull calfs will make the grade.

Campground Cattle":2cnywvnd said:
TPR sucks at best this is all about money for the Hereford association.
You run 200 momma cows cost you one thousand dollars to keep them in TRP and get the epd's on your calfs.
Most of your calf's are going through the salebarn anyway.
You retain 10 bull calfs this year for sales that are herd bull quality it cost you an extra one hundred dollars a bull to supply your customer with epd's. If you are truely a reputable breeder very few bull calfs will make the grade.

the TPR program is designed to collect data on ALL calves, not just certain ones that the breeder chooses.

Latest posts