New heifer!

Help Support CattleToday:

jrn28

Reaction score
Title says it all. I broke my # 1 rule don't buy heifers.
The lady I bought her from runs a great operation. I see her cattle everyday before work but have never asked if she would sell me any. I saw her in the pasture and asked if she had any for sale. Next day I come home with this beauty.

Looks good. I don't have a problem buying heifers cause that's what a cow starts out as and cattle business you have risks with cows so why not try a heifer. Roll the dice and see what happens.

I don't like the idea of buying all my replacements, but if I saw a really nice heifer, sure, why not take a chance on her.. yours looks good

Pretty heifer. I hope you have good luck with her. I keep some heifers and buy a few every year to get my herd built up. We have to take chances in this cattle farming. My mama always says it's a gamble. I see that more and more.

My feeling on buying heifers is how well do you like your bulls. I've sold some dandys the last couple years cause I hate to get rid of a bull. So, I look for some good ones to buy instead. BTW I really like her. What is she cross bred? B&G

Thanks all. Skyhigh, I've gambled with both cows and heifers, and have had more luck with cows. I guess as long as I choose the bull to breed em, I may not have as many problems.
I really like her, I hope she comes out like her sisters and half sister. B&G her dam is angus plus and her sire brangus.
The lady will be weaning in November and told me to come down and see if I like any more. I'm really looking forward to it, I might make a small group and see how they work out.

jrn28":1gxbkax9 said:
Thanks all. Skyhigh, I've gambled with both cows and heifers, and have had more luck with cows. I guess as long as I choose the bull to breed em, I may not have as many problems.
I really like her, I hope she comes out like her sisters and half sister. B&G her dam is angus plus and her sire brangus.
The lady will be weaning in November and told me to come down and see if I like any more. I'm really looking forward to it, I might make a small group and see how they work out.

I understand but 99% of my heifers are ones I retained I bought 3 and they are bred from same person I bought most of my cattle and bred to my bull hopefully Feb when shes due I will have no issues.

Thanks kingfisher, built that pen last year. I uses to use panels but my last bull didn't respect them and i always seem to have one calve that would escape before I hauled them off to the salebarn.

jrn28":4io270jo said:
Thanks kingfisher, built that pen last year. I uses to use panels but my last bull didn't respect them and i always seem to have one calve that would escape before I hauled them off to the salebarn.
How big is it?

It's only a 20x35 and it connects to a 20x30 shed. The alley runs about 30' and is about30" wide and It works great. Only thing left is a squeeze chute at the end. Also plan to cover the alley portion to be able to work in the shade.

She sure is pretty!
How old is she? Does her breeder grain them? I ask because for a recently weaned heifer, her toes are pretty long. Sometimes that can be caused by too much grain, sometimes it is genetic. Something to look for when you go back and pick out more.

Thanks Fire Sweep, Sept 8 she will be a year. She had them on a feed by purina she called it a developer. Now I have her on my wheat hay, do you think it would be good to switch her to a different kind of hay? I bale when it's in early dough stage, but there is still some grain.
What are some of the drawbacks from long nails? Are they more prone to foot injuries?
Some of my cows have em but when the walk in the pasture they seem to break or wear.

Haven't been on here in a while, just wanted to update on my heifer. She calved today and did great, no problem at all. She had a tiny heifer sire by my hereford bull.

Thanks. She calved in my pen, so I locked them up in there, a lot more shade. Hopefully the heat ain't to rough on her, suppose to be over 100 for the rest of the week.

What a cutie! I like those white tipped ears. Should be a nice one.
Was you heifers sire a Registered Brangus? If so she is considered an Ultra Black and can be register as such if you so desired. She is a very nice Ultra Black.

Latest posts