new heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Always heard the same on 60 to 65% of expected mature weight. Many British breeds, british crosses and some continentals shoot for a 14 to 15 month old window (assuming they are of size) so they calve at 2yrs. Many Brahman breeders, simmental, and some other breeds will wait longer due to sexual maturity. (18 to 20 months or so)

In the journal of animal sciences lasst year there was a study that dealt with heifers only achiveing 60% vs 65%. The study is outlines in the latest Red Angus Journal

dun

I have British and British crosses. I usually wiat until the heifer is about 60% of her mature wieght, and usually around 14 to 15 months old. So far this has worked for me.

Katherine

depending on if you want them to be 2 or not.... We have year and a litttle bit younger heifers now that are over 60% of their mature weight. Weight and maturity wise they could have a bull and be bred for Dec. calves but they will be held off for a few months so that they are on target to calf with the rest of the cow herd. probably 14 months old

DINGRAM":iooip8nx said:
When is the right time to let a bull in on a heifer.
If the bull or the heifer seem shy.........the nighttime is the righttime! :oops:

it depends on the heifer. some like to be wined and dined, others like to get straight to business.

Latest posts