New Haygrazer Molding?

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Never bought fresh haygrazer before so not sure if this is normal or not. Bought it 2 months ago still a little green when delivered, bales were heavy. Now I just got rain this week, I have black mold and mildew growing on the outside of the bales and on some spots it goes about 2 inches deep. Got 20 bales of it. Is this normal for haygrazer to mold or turn so quick? Never seen tifton or coastal do this.

maybe, sure hope not, $2000 for wet hay is a big problem, the guy is pretty reputable for this area.

NolanCountyAG":1yjdim3j said:
BK9954":1yjdim3j said:
maybe, sure hope not, $2000 for wet hay is a big problem, the guy is pretty reputable for this area.

You payed $100 a bale for hay grazer? Have you talked to the guy that it came from?
Let me take that back, $2100 for 20 bales coastal, 20 bales haygrazer. The coastal are fine.

We got a light sprinkle of rain a few weeks ago and heavy rain all this week. It has mold on the net as well. I am referring to the white mold. It goes a few inches into the hay. When he delivered it was almost golden green, shiney and beautiful. As soon as it rained it turned black. Is this normal.

Unroll one of them and see what it looks like on the inside. Stalks pretty large and random directions and would let it get wetter than the coastal with smaller stems.

It looks good except for 1-2 inches deep. I just fed one yesterday. Had some heifers penned up cause they were in a pasture that floods when it rains too much. My concern is will it keep molding? Should I give the guy a call and let him know? Is this pretty normal for haygrazer? Do you think he didnt let it cure enough or is it just so good that the sugar content is making it mold on the outside? Driving down the road last week I saw some round bales of haygrazer in a field turned black but not sure if they had mold.

BK9954":3rplyo79 said:
but also let me add its not ALL the bales that are doing this

Looks like where you butted it up against another bale is where it is molding. A lot of times rain can seep in between the butted bales and cause a lot of rot. If you are concerned and have the room put some space between the bales.

I agree with Hurley. The bales were green when you got em Nd we've had a lot of rain.
As soon as this weather breaks spread em out were they can get some wind and sun on em.
I think you'll do just fine with em. But you might mention to the man that you think it was rolled a little wet. If he's any good maybe he'll kick you a roll or two.

Feed em they'll lick the ground where you feed it. . We grow and had 50 rolls of it that was little wet when rolled and it completely molded. .we threw it in a ditch for soil control and put the cows out perfect fescue hay and they ate every roll of that molded stuff before eating any of the fescue hay. .they love the sugar stalks

Certainly not telling you folks anything you don't already know but hay grazer really needs to be cut with a conditioner/crimper of some sort. Leaves will dry just fine but the stalks take a long time to dry out unless they are run through a crimper. Maybe this is what happened? I've baled hay grazer before and didn't have a problem BUT I used a brush hog to cut it before baling and it all dried pretty well.

Most all of the hay left out in the weather turned pretty dark when it rained almost every day for two weeks this August. Rain does penitrate farther into haygrazer than grass hay, and the longer it stays wet the blacker it gets. If it were baled green it would have white mold deeper into the bale. Being it rained so often it will most likely have some as deep as a foot into the bale just from exposure. If it were baled green and went through a heat you might see a darker caramelazation color in the core. Even so, your cows should eat it just fine. Only way to know nutritional effects is to pull core samples and have it tested.

The last 2 bales I have fed looked better inside. Mold not going very deep. My plan was to save this hay for spring but saving the coastal for spring instead. Going to feed this out first. Only reason I an feeding hay now is for some heifers I have seperated from my bull. With all the rain down here we have plenty of grass.

Latest posts