New hay set up for Cypress - warning many pics

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Well it's time I come into the new age with my hay feeding. I've already fed more than 1/2 of my hay and the winter isn't even going good yet. I've been just putting bales on the ground, and I'm losing a ton (more than literal here) on the ground to waste. I saw a post on CT about elevated hay holders and some very helpful CT members even sent me pics and pm to help (Thanks a lot you guys/gals). So I finally got started. I'm a manager at a plant and supervise several departments, one of which is Maintenance. One of the Maintenance guys is a very good welder, so I got him to do the welding. From my woodworking I knew what I wanted, but I had to get the welder to create it. I know NOTHING about welding, but I can design some wicked stuff.

For those that care, the following is a sequence of pics from beginning to end with this build up. It took one full day to make the first "sled". We're already working on a second. I figure that I'll save at least 20% of the hay, if not more. Here goes:

Started out with feed store bought new galvanized rings - $175:
hayringrings.jpg

Then made a sled for the whole thing to be built on. By doing this I could drag it around with my tractor:
This is the two legs of the sled coming together:
hayringbase.jpg

Sled base with supports from two angles; starting to take shape:
hayringbasewithsupports.jpg

haysledsideview.jpg

Once we got the base tacked, we ran beams across the top of the supports and started tacking the rings:
haystartingtoputrings.jpg

The last of the rings going on:
hayringsalmostdone.jpg

The finished rack with bracing and supports. It also has a large pipe welded to the front so I can drag it with the tractor, but I think I'll need to drag it empty. Maybe this spring I'll paint it make it last longer:
hayfinishedwithbracing.jpg

Cows trying to figure out what the heck this thing is:
haycowstryingtofigureitout.jpg

Leave it to "Big Red" my trusty lead cow to figure it out. She's striking a pose with a brangus that figured it out pretty quick also:
hayfinallycowsstartingtounderstand.jpg

Don't know if this helped anyone, but for $150 labor and $175 for the new rings I have a very stout hay feeder. The other metal was leftovers from work - most are from racking uprights, so it's fairly thick. I figure I'll save the cost in the first year alone. The second one will be smaller and and simpler.

Kingfisher":3glxi2md said:
http://gobobpipe.com/goBobOrangeOxHayConserverBaleFeeder.htm#hayConserverBaleFeederHayMonster

KingF, I could see where this "hay monster" would be an improvement over just putting bales on the ground, but I wanted to lift the bales up off the ground. I figure everytime the bale touches the ground, I lose hay. Still too early to tell yet, ofcourse, but I don't want any hay touching the ground - hopefully this new set up will do it.

Any idea what a "hay monster" costs?

Thanks for sharing that Cypress, grist for the mill! I too would like to see some pics of the area after a few weeks. Thank you!

First off, congratulations. You won't regret doing this.

Those are a little more robust than the ones I built out of old trampoline frames. My only suggestion would be to put a wire cattle panel down in the cradle to help sustain loose hay.

You are right about saving hay Cypress. CB put me on to this idea a couple of years back. Since it has been so dry this year, the cradles have not had as big of an impact; there hasn't been a lot of mud. Nevertheless, these things are still saving me hay.

You have seen my pics I am sure. Here is a link again in case someone else wants to take a look. One is flipped over for the pic such that you can see the under structure. Gussets are what give mine strength. http://ranchers.net/photopost/showphoto ... puser/2144

I now have two more old trampoline frames to build cradles out of. That should put me at 18 cradles once I use these two additionals.

I now have two more old trampoline frames to build cradles out of. That should put me at 18 cradles once I use these two additionals.[/quote]

I hear a trampoline ain't safe for about 50miles of your place......... :lol:

Well done. If you move it to fresh ground before the runners get mired in goo the runners will last a lot longer.

Backhoe - you have really "refined" your feeders. They look great. Not sure what parts are from the original trampoline?
Cypress - that's a rugged feeder - thanks for all the pics. Cost would be a bit different if you had to buy all that steel. Keep us posted.

gabby":3vkh61ur said:
Well done. If you move it to fresh ground before the runners get mired in goo the runners will last a lot longer.

My employee that welded everything suggested that I buy some 1/8" thick pieces of metal and weld to the bottom of the runners as "skid plates". Might do that; we have a machine shop close to work that does all of our machining/heavy work, and they could sell me some 1/8" thick by 4" 8 feet long to use as skids.

Boogie, that's a great idea! I even have some cattle panels around the pastures - I use them to patch holes in fences when I don't have the time to properly fix the fence. That would hold they hay better.

This morning I rode past it as the sun was coming up and the calves were all standing under it eating the hay, while the cows were around it eating. Seems to work well. I'll leave it in the same place for two weeks, then post pics again.

That looks fantastic! I may have to show these pics to hubby as a next project idea. We have a welder friend....
Over Christmas my husband built a bull shelter. With his job we got a lot of the lumber free, some we had to buy but overall it cost $350. To just go out and buy a new one here is $2300. so I think he did pretty good.:) Same as yours, to buy an outfit like you built would be a lot more than you spent.

cypressfarms":2mz7a13e said:
gabby":2mz7a13e said:

My employee that welded everything suggested that I buy some 1/8" thick pieces of metal and weld to the bottom of the runners as "skid plates". Might do that; we have a machine shop close to work that does all of our machining/heavy work, and they could sell me some 1/8" thick by 4" 8 feet long to use as skids.

Boogie, that's a great idea! I even have some cattle panels around the pastures - I use them to patch holes in fences when I don't have the time to properly fix the fence. That would hold they hay better.

This morning I rode past it as the sun was coming up and the calves were all standing under it eating the hay, while the cows were around it eating. Seems to work well. I'll leave it in the same place for two weeks, then post pics again.

I tried the cattle panel on the originals, went back and replaced it with re-bar. I was losing to many ear tags on the cattle panel.

That's a great idea using one three section ring for your curved pieces! Congratulations and thanks for posting the pictures!

I am a believer in elevated cradles as primary hay feeders.

Jim

Douglas":2806af4i said:
what about wheels on one end and lift the other end to move.

It was pretty easy to drag with the tractor, but I wouldn't want to pull it with a 4 wheeler, or pull it loaded.

Hey Douglas, if you put wheels, then maybe we could put motors as well. Move them around and even have races with your next door neighbour. Then we would be rednecks for sure!

cypressfarms":2j4acowb said:
Douglas":2j4acowb said:

It was pretty easy to drag with the tractor, but I wouldn't want to pull it with a 4 wheeler, or pull it loaded.

Hey Douglas, if you put wheels, then maybe we could put motors as well. Move them around and even have races with your next door neighbour. Then we would be rednecks for sure!
I guess I'll hold ya'lls beer while you race. :banana:

cypressfarms":g6nywas1 said:
Douglas":g6nywas1 said:

I was thinking i could move it by hand in wet weather.