New Hay Baler

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
If you could buy a new hay roller what brand would you buy and why? Even if it was a few years old. I love my baler but I would love to have net wrap for the time saving. I have a guy that wants to buy mine bad and offered me a very good price for it but Iam unsure if I want to spend the extra money on replacing it.

Just sold me NH 648 so am on the hunt for its replacement. It will either be a late model NH BR7070 or NH Roll-Belt 460 both silage special crop cutter machines.

Not a lot of options in my price range for a cutter baler and I had good luck with my 648. No real "local" dealers (nearest dealer of any color is over 100 miles away), so I like that I can easily lookup and purchase NH parts via the internet if needed. Also nice that I'm familiar with the NH operation and monitor. And they make a bale as nice as anything.

Dealer support and access to parts would be a major influence in my decision.

With that being said I would buy a Deere 469. Or a similar but slightly older 468. I would pick this model bc I want 4' bales. The 5 series are just as good.

I traded my nh 7060 ss for a Deere 459 ss, bad mistake, no density adjustment on the Deere, 1 roller after 1100 rolls cost $2400, no help from them. I ran NH for 30 yrs most I ever spent was $550 for bearings. I know there's bad in anything, hopefully someone else will own it in the spring. For me from now on if it's hay it's NH

bse":3e16y0tc said:
I traded my nh 7060 ss for a Deere 459 ss, bad mistake, no density adjustment on the Deere, 1 roller after 1100 rolls cost $2400, no help from them. I ran NH for 30 yrs most I ever spent was $550 for bearings. I know there's bad in anything, hopefully someone else will own it in the spring. For me from now on if it's hay it's NH

What kind of problems have you had? Did the warranty not cover the repairs ?

Love my Deere 569. 4 years and 13,000 bales and not one serious problem. I can bale circles around my neighbors IH and Vermeer balers.
10 mph if the ground is smooth, no matter how heavy of hay. 568 is a good baler, and you can find them used worth the money.

pricefarm":2cds521d said:
If you could buy a new hay roller what brand would you buy and why? Even if it was a few years old. I love my baler but I would love to have net wrap for the time saving. I have a guy that wants to buy mine bad and offered me a very good price for it but Iam unsure if I want to spend the extra money on replacing it.

Go up Meade Tractor and get you one of those pretty little green balers with all the bells and whistles for around 40k and you will be making hay. Don't forget to cut that mess off the bales before feeding. It works best when closing the gate to cut it off as you kill two birds with one stone, but you do save time baling.

True Grit Farms":2we2b45j said:
jltrent":2we2b45j said:
kenny thomas":2we2b45j said:
I sure like my Vermeer silage. But only has 1200 rolls through it.

That baler may last you. :lol:
He's pacing himself so it'll last till he retires.
Oh it will last me for sure. I can buy 4x5 rolls from the farm next door for $20 so I ain't gonna wear it out.

pricefarm":2f0oz2bg said:
bse":2f0oz2bg said:

What kind of problems have you had? Did the warranty not cover the repairs ?
the roller that picks up the net wrap, bearings went out. id had it 18 months so no warranty. total cost $2400 2 hydraulic lines in a terrible spot wore into. $220 its a money pit, I bought it bran new. just a lemon. but when its right you can get right along with it. ive just decided I cant afford it. going back to NH I hope

99% of the balers in this area are green and for those who have the assets, net wraps. 40 years ago when I bought this place 5x6 rolls were the norm. Today it seems 4x6's are the norm with 20% less contents per bale but there are advantages to the shorter rolls, primarily in hauling advantages.

Net wrap definitely improves weathering and I'd have one if it was the thing to do. But it's not so I continue with my old fashioned JD 375 that's paid for.

bse":2rxztjb4 said:

No density control on a silage baler? That's pretty asinine. Is there a way to add it to the baler?

pricefarm":1vfk7ipx said:

I've had good luck with the Vermeer balers, and there seems to be good dealer support in your area.

I see lots of people with new balers, and they move pretty good, just not feasible for me, but just for kicks, Vermeer or Newholland.

cfpinz":eety4s91 said:
bse":eety4s91 said:

No density control on a silage baler? That's pretty asinine. Is there a way to add it to the baler?

On my 569 I can control the bale destiny by adjusting the hydraulic pressure to the belts.
Turn the knob in on the regulator.
I try to keep my silage bales around 2500 lbs, this is how I do it without having to make the bales tiny.
The 400 series may be different.

T & B farms":19kc8q27 said:
cfpinz":19kc8q27 said:
bse":19kc8q27 said:

On my 569 I can control the bale destiny by adjusting the hydraulic pressure to the belts.
Turn the knob in on the regulator.
I try to keep my silage bales around 2500 lbs, this is how I do it without having to make the bales tiny.
The 400 series may be different.

its a 4x5 after rolling 50 rolls i called about density he said id have to move up to 5x6 to get that, i sell alot so the 5x6 isnt a option, to hard to haul. I wouldnt change it alot but i do like having that option. My fault for assuming a roller that expensive would do that.

cfpinz":xonj73l1 said:
bse":xonj73l1 said:

yea my fault for assuming. no way to add it, just move up a to 5x6

bse":kf2370z9 said:
cfpinz":kf2370z9 said:
bse":kf2370z9 said:

yea my fault for assuming. no way to add it, just move up a to 5x6

My cousin is a tech for JD, pretty sure he told me the 468, 469's, etc. have density controls on them. I was looking at getting one of those models this last go-round and he steered me towards the 46x balers instead of the 45x models, though I wound up buying another Vermeer baler as I could get a lot more for my money with the yellow paint. I just shot him a note to see if it's feasible to add density control to your baler.

If you're selling hay, a 46x baler would be easily adjusted to your customers' needs. Got any notion what you'd want for the 459?

Latest posts