New Handling System

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Just ordered a new handling system to put on the new section of farm. It is a Green River system. It is made out of 6ft high, heavy duty, galvanzed pipe. It has a full sweep, a 25 ft alley and two holding pens with cut gates. I hope to have it delivered and set up next week. Anybody ever use one of these?

dun":15vew3uy said:
Don;t know anyone that can afford one!

I normally couldn't but our state has a program where they will pay 50% or up to $3,500 for BQA and Master Beef Producer certified cattlemen. I couldn't pass up the oportunity to take advantage of it. They will also pay 50% or up to $1,000 on a new bull as long as it is in the upper 50% of it's breed in 4 key EPD's (BW, WW, Milk,YW).

I'm glad to see that some states are actaully working with producers instead of ignoring them, or worse yet, pushing them out of business.

dun":2tervufd said:
I'm glad to see that some states are actaully working with producers instead of ignoring them, or worse yet, pushing them out of business.

It is a great idea by the state to improve cattle health and genetics thus improving beef quality and safety. They require that the producer puts in the time for the education and they are rewrded with incentives. The producer generates better animal quality and genetics and the beef economy of the state grows as more of the out-of-state feed lots come to Tennessee for their feeder calves. The producer generates more income thus paying more taxes. It all goes full circle.

I will take advantage of the genetics incentive by buying a new bull over the winter. I am seriously considering a Gelbvieh bull to cross on my red and black angus cows. I have seen some of this cross at the sale and they seemed to have plenty of muscle and were very growthy looking. They brought top dollar.

Fred":39ym8lmh said:
Is Green River the name of the company that makes the setup?

Yes. I have tried to find them on the web but no luck. A guy near Murfreesboro, Tennessee sells them. They are very heavy duty and cheaper than a WW or Powder River. He keeps one along the road by his cattle farm as a disply model. I am not sure where they are manufactured. I know he keeps a few in stock.

dun":2ndwmnkj said:
This is a continuation of a program that started over a year ago. This year, Producers can even get State money for Hay Rings, Feeders,and other equipment he/she may need.I'm really glad to see the State of Tennessee wake up and help it's producers streamline and better their Farms and facilities.If you want a further look into what our State is doing, visit: http://www.picktnproducts.org

Crowderfarms":4hp4pzkz said:
dun":4hp4pzkz said:
This is a continuation of a program that started over a year ago. This year, Producers can even get State money for Hay Rings, Feeders,and other equipment he/she may need.I'm really glad to see the State of Tennessee wake up and help it's producers streamline and better their Farms and facilities.If you want a further look into what our State is doing, visit: http://www.picktnproducts.org

That's 2 things TN has going for it. This program and George Dickel

Two people in our area have Green River equipment. One has a complete set, the other has components. I've helped at both places and the owners seem happy.

Good deal that Tennessee supports BQA. Actually supports it and not just makes some day "state BQA day" or something!

Crowderfarms":2sf09u2t said:
Come on we got more than that...Don't we?

What about Jack Daniels?

Pac Man Jones

Pamela Rogers

Ophelia Ford

Elvis

Fred Thompson

I might be tempted to add Fred Thompson to the list. But I'll stick with the other 2 as being the only accomplishments worth mentioning

Crowderfarms said:

What about Jack Daniels?

Pac Man Jones

Pamela Rogers

Ophelia Ford

Elvis

Fred Thompson[/quot

There's one thing for sure , the Feds and Tn. Waltz is thinning the Fords out.
It should have happened along time ago.

I wish Fla had something like that. All our folks do is worry about how to attract more tourists. Spend millions on doing that. Ag has taken the very back seat down here. :mad:

dun":1p90ox5k said:
Crowderfarms":1p90ox5k said:
dun":1p90ox5k said:

That's 2 things TN has going for it. This program and George Dickel

Don't forget......we have a presidential candidate named Crowder. That's gotta stand for something :lol:

We even conduct our own wars on corrupt politicians. See link:

http://www.americanheritage.com/email/a ... 2_72.shtml

Tennessee has produced some good folks as well as good products and places......examples:

Jack Daniels
George Dickel
Jim Varney
Tennessee Walking Horses
The Grand Ole Opry
Memphis BBQ
Graceland
Elvis
The Great Smokey Mountains
CMT
Tennesse Vols (this year excluded)
Tennessee Titans
The Cracker Barrell
Fred Thompson

More....

Famous Tennesseans
James Agee writer, poet, Knoxville
Eddy Arnold singer, Henderson
Chet Atkins guitarist, Lutrell
Hattie Caraway first elected woman senator, Bakerville
Jack Garnet Carter miniature golf, Sweetwater
Davy Crockett frontiersman, Green Cty
Jack Curtis screenwriter, Stony Creek
Sam Davis confederate scout, Smyrna
Mark Dean inventor, Jefferson City
David G. Farragut first American admiral, Knoxville
Lester Flatt bluegrass musician, Overton Cty
Tennessee Ernie Ford singer, Bristol
Morgan Freeman actor, Memphis
Abe Fortas jurist, Memphis
Aretha Franklin singer, Memphis
Nikki Giovanni poet, Knoxville
Albert Gore Jr. U.S. vice president, Washington, D.C.
Red Grooms artist, Nashville
Isaac Hayes composer, Covington
Benjamin L. Hooks civil rights activist, Memphis
Barbara Howar broadcaster, writer, Nashville
Cordell Hull secretary of state, Overton Cty
Estes Kefauver legislator, Madisonville
Sandra Locke actress, Shelbyville
Dolly Parton singer, Sevierville
Minnie Pearl singer, comedienne, Centerville
Grantland Rice sportswriter, Murfreesboro
Carl Rowan journalist, Ravenscraft
Wilma Rudolph runner, St. Bethlehem
Sequoia Cherokee scholar, educator
Cybil Shepherd actress, Memphis
Dinah Shore actress, singer, Winchester
Mr. Crowder, Secretary of Agriculture, Agriculture Business Executive and Presidential Candidate

I am sure there are more.....

Crowderfarms":pbl0sghm said:

What about Jack Daniels?

Pac Man Jones

Pamela Rogers

Ophelia Ford

Elvis

Fred Thompson

I was hoping that you all would keep Jones after he left from up here! He done went and got his self edumacated at WVU - then went off to show the world what fine students they done went and produced up here in the mountains!

Latest posts