New Genex bull Ironhide

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
FSR,
We ended up with several heifers by Long's Shear Pleasure - One-Eyed Jack's sire - and really like them. A lot. Thick-made, great dispositions; looking forward to seeing what sort of cows they make. Got very few LSP steers, but there are a couple in this fall's crop...looking good.

TennesseeTuxedo":ajqfeo8h said:
He's a monster that's for sure. Good luck with your breeding season.

TT, ask Ron what he thinks of that bull. On one of his visits here, I took him to Genex in Strafford, MO and the bull was in isolation. He is the real deal! He is just as impressive, if not more, in real life. Small shoulders, good shaped head. Lots of meat.

Lucky, One Eyed Jack is a bit high for large use ($50 a straw, if I remember correctly), so I used him over some select heifers. Hopefully, we will know in about 2 weeks if they stuck or not! I have not seen a bunch of Sheer Pleasure calves out there, so I have no experience on his calves. I am surprised he is not used more.

I also like HPF Optimizer (SS). We had a nice white faced heifer a few days ago, and one due in the spring.

OEJ came out of the gate at $100/unit... all I could think was, "Why? Here's this unproven yearling, without even any calves on the ground. What makes them think his semen is worth that much - and who would pay that for it?"
I guess somebody did - or maybe they didn't, so they dropped the price to $50.

Not sure, Kris... maybe LSP didn't get used all that much because he's not a purebred? Only 3/4 SM... but he sure worked nicely for us on 50:50 AN/SM and 3/4 SM-1/4AN cows.
Looks like his CED/BW epds have come down significantly since he first came out... originally, they were toutint him as a heifer bull - and he might be, but with CED of 4.6 and BW of 3.1, he wouldn't be my pick for use on most heifers here... though all the LSP calves we got were not noticeably any bigger than anything else in their contemporary groups - other than those by low-BW Angus sire.

FSR, looks like a nice lineup of sires and Ironhide looks impressive. I've been eyeing the new WS Stepping Stone bull at Cattle Visions. I like his looks and pedigree. Although I don't know if I'll expand AI'ing any of ours or not.

Do you register simangus cattle down there FSR? I've never looked into it up here, I'm not sure its even an option.

I have one simangus (75/25) bull I'd like to know more about, I could track down his breeding, but epd's would be nice also if it wasn't a huge hassle to acquire.

And yes, to look at his picture I question the 2020 also. He looks good though.

Supa Dexta":3ii8ik8v said:
Do you register simangus cattle down there FSR? I've never looked into it up here, I'm not sure its even an option.

I have one simangus (75/25) bull I'd like to know more about, I could track down his breeding, but epd's would be nice also if it wasn't a huge hassle to acquire.

And yes, to look at his picture I question the 2020 also. He looks good though.

Simangus cattle can be registered through ASA. FSSR has mostly purebred simmentals. I have several of my simangus registered.

Latest posts