New feed question

Help Support CattleToday:

Billythekid

Reaction score
I feed a few fat calves every year. Normally I feed a corn, bean meal & molasses mix. I recently switched elevators. The guy talked me into feeding this mix, I ordered 5500lbs.
3315lbs rolled corn
1990lbs soyhull/ddg/SBM pellets
205lbs Co-prod Balancer Steakmaker
55lbs Buffer Park
I have been mixing 50/50 old and new. Then tried different new to old ratios for the last 2 weeks.
These calves do not want to eat it. I started adding a small amount of dried molasses today.
Anyone have any ideas to get these guys to eat more. I'm down to my last 30 days need them to add as much weight as possible. I never fed Ddgs& soyhulls. Or the pellets and steak maker.
Thinking this may have been a big mistake! Thanks for any info!
Approx 1000lb body weight, trying to get 2-2.5% body weight in them daily.

I'm gonna guess the soy hulls and ddg are the problem. Try soaking in water a few hours before you feed, and see if that improves it for you. Might also have to get you a jug of molasses to blend in the first week, then start cutting it out.
1000 pound steers and above are the pickiest animals on earth.

Figured out the feed is ground too fine. Any ideas on dealing with the powder thats left when they're done picking out what they want. I've tried stirring it while they are eating. Adding some to the powder and mixing. Not having much luck.

Billythekid said:
I feed a few fat calves every year. Normally I feed a corn, bean meal & molasses mix. I recently switched elevators. The guy talked me into feeding this mix, I ordered 5500lbs.
3315lbs rolled corn
55lbs Buffer Park
I have been mixing 50/50 old and new. Then tried different new to old ratios for the last 2 weeks.
These calves do not want to eat it. I started adding a small amount of dried molasses today.
Anyone have any ideas to get these guys to eat more. I'm down to my last 30 days need them to add as much weight as possible. I never fed Ddgs& soyhulls. Or the pellets and steak maker.

Billythekid said:
3315lbs rolled corn
55lbs Buffer Park

Latest posts