New Feed Mix

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky

Reaction score
Trying a new 16% protien feed mix this year. Will be feeding to cows and weaned calves. Let me know what you think.
45% corn
10% whole cotton seed
10% DDG
20% lin seed
10% soy hulls
4% molasses
Mineral pack added

TexasBred":3aa32nlm said:
Is that linseed or linseed meal??

Not sure. The guy that made the mix up for me just said linseed for the protien. I got my first load today the molasses seemed to cut the dust down like I was hoping.

Lucky":3r0g946g said:
TexasBred":3r0g946g said:
Is that linseed or linseed meal??

Not sure. The guy that made the mix up for me just said linseed for the protien. I got my first load today the molasses seemed to cut the dust down like I was hoping.
I'd probably reduce the amount of corn and increase the amount of soyhulls in the mix. Saw your post on the molasses but I'd also remove the molasses and replace it with soyhulls as well. You're using up 80lbs. per ton for dust control and it has almost no nutritional value. I feed a mix to calves sometimes that has no molasses. It's a little dusty but not enough to be any kind of problem.

What would reducing corn and increasing soy hulls do for me? I'm not a feed expert by any means. After feeding dusty feed for the last 8 years not getting covered in dust filling the feeder is nice so think I'll keep the molasses. It was never a problem for the cattle just me.

Lucky":1zjq3spx said:
What would reducing corn and increasing soy hulls do for me? I'm not a feed expert by any means. After feeding dusty feed for the last 8 years not getting covered in dust filling the feeder is nice so think I'll keep the molasses. It was never a problem for the cattle just me.
Just makes the feed a little bit more mellow. Less starches and more digestible fiber. As for the molasses not a problem especially if the dust really bothers you.

TexasBred":25r3ny4t said:
Lucky":25r3ny4t said:
Just makes the feed a little bit more mellow. Less starches and more digestible fiber. As for the molasses not a problem especially if the dust really bothers you.

Thanks I'm going to ask about that before my next order. I'm a little worried about the cotton seed bridging over in my overhead and the feeder too. We'll just see how it goes.

Lucky":1t0zo41v said:
TexasBred":1t0zo41v said:
Lucky":1t0zo41v said:

Thanks I'm going to ask about that before my next order. I'm a little worried about the cotton seed bridging over in my overhead and the feeder too. We'll just see how it goes.
That's really not a high inclusion rate on the seed so shouldn't be a problem. Might get the corn chopped instead of fine ground and that will help it flow better.

Latest posts