New farm pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

Rod

Reaction score
I bought a new farm and need to improve the pastures. The pastures have a few rutts, bumps and holes. I planned on discing the whole pasture and then dragging it to level it out. I would then like to fertilize and sow it but its too late really for that right now. I really need to have cattle on it next summer for cash flow purposes.

Here are my questions:

1. If I disc now and level it will I still be able to sow grass in the spring or will the ground need to be loosened back up again in the spring.

2. If I have to wait until spring I'm afraid the ground will be too soft to work and the pasture wont be ready for cattle in the summer.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rod

You could no till in your grass seed. Then work on the problem areas, unless they are the entire pasture. This would get the grass going and your cash flow going, while fixing the problem.

Rod it is time to sow grass fall is best time . I presume fescue,rye or orchard grass is what you will be sowing. Bermuda grass in may is when we put it out. In our area sow grass in every month that has an R in it. This is what I was told when I started out by my neighbor it seems to work.
Good luck