New edition to the farm today with pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Will someone please help us identify what color he is or may turn out to be? We're still learning the horses. Mom is pictured and dad is a palomino, both registered. Thanks in advance for the replys. CCF

24.jpg

13.jpg

10.jpg

I'm gonna say he's going to be a palomino...
Palomino to cherry red chestnut gives a 50% chance palomino, looks like your mare is the right shade of red.
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Outback/2 ... omino.html
This link kinda explains it...
A really COOL book is called "Horse color explained" by Ann T Bowling, has a pic of a baby palomino in it that looks just like yours!

GS,
This was a first time mare. The mare has good feet and legs. The pictures of the mare were taken as she was walking with or around her new baby. We had to wait on the colt to dry before taking these pictures. Our thoughts on color were palomino, but were told it looked more like a dun. From what we have found on the net we don't think it'll be a dun. We thought we'd ask some experts in the field! Thanks for all the replys! CCF

Gale Seddon":n71m5uia said:
What's going on with the mare's hind legs?

Everything bleeds when they give birth, lol...just more noticeable on a mare with high white on the legs, if that's what you were referring to.

Don't see any dun markings, no dorsal stripe, or ear pinstriping. He's got that "Peachy" color palominos are born with, and the lighter skin around the eyes... look at his eyes, are they a dark brown, or a lighter brownish-bluish-hazely-grey? (Sorry, that's the only way I can think of to describe it... theyll get darker as he gets older.)

Sure is a cute little booger. I'm a sucker for blaze-faces, myself! ;-)

He looks just like my palomino baby did when he was born. I was so dissappointed as he was all peachy looking even around the eyes. Well.... in a few months the peachy around the eyeswent black and he shed off to the most beautiful dark golden palomino you even seen. And the main and tail shed off to a snow white! Don't even think of selling this baby till he sheds off--- you may have on gourgeuos baby there! (I would even bet on it)!!! Congratulations

Redneckcowgirl - His eyes are the lighter brownish-bluish-hazely-grey looking, grin. That is about the only way to describe them I guess. He'll probably spend his life here on our farm if he acts right. The daughter is becoming very attached very quick, I guess that's what little girls do huh? Thanks for all the replys. Seems to be a great group of folks here. CCF

Congratulations on your new foal! He's a good looking little guy and I agree with the posters who say palomino.

One thing I wanted to mention (I am not sure if you know this), but now you are in the milking business now and you need to feed the mare well so that she will produce enough milk to raise the foal without depleting herself.

I'll add to the previous post, you need to get some groceries to that mare, she is under weight and in poor condition. The foal is relying on milk production, she can't produce milk if she is fighting to keep weight on. She should have good quality hay, all she wants. Give her grain, if she gets grain give her more, increase the grain amount over the period of a few days. Vitiamins and minerals are also necessary in my opinion. Is the blood stains on the legs gone yet, or is there still some bleeding?

This is not meant as a brag or anything like it, just some advice, wanted or not. This is a pic of my, then 12 yr old mare after her 6th foal, the foal is 4 days in the pic, he is now a yearling and she was in good enough condition to breed back. Which means her nutrition level was good enough to maintain weight, produce milk and cycle back and hold a new foal. Again not a brag, just a fact of good nutrition.

IMG_0333.jpg

Alan

I agree with Alan I just didn't want to say anything and come across as sounding judgemental (who me?), but that mare needs some groceries.

There is a lady down the street that wanted me to ride her TB for her since he hadn't been ridden in months. They had "sort of" rescued it and it looks like that mare in the picture. I told he needs some conditioning. This lady has "plenty of money" (her words) so I know he will come around but I felt bad about riding him in that condition but I could sure tell he really enjoys getting out of his small pen and getting to move around some. I told the lady this too and she said how do you know he likes it. I told her if I had to explain she wouldn't understand.

None of the advice has been taken in the wrong way. I did ask advice on the colt color, but will take all rendered.

Alan - I would think an older horse that has foaled six times should be able to endure the strains of motherhood a little better than that of a five year old first timer? Like I said I am kinda new to the horses. Maybe not? I do know I've seen more trouble out of heifers than I have cows. The blood stains are all gone now and she isn't bleeding anymore. She does get free choice of good quality hay and her grain has been stepped up double of what she was getting, everyday. I haven't given her vitamins, can you recommend some or does my vet need to do that? We'll look into I promise. Here are a few pictures of my skinny horse after five days. I do appreciate the concern and the knowledge you share with us.

MVC-03g.jpg

MVC-03d.jpg

CrippleCreekFarm":sxt9szdq said:
Redneckcowgirl - His eyes are the lighter brownish-bluish-hazely-grey looking, grin. That is about the only way to describe them I guess. He'll probably spend his life here on our farm if he acts right. The daughter is becoming very attached very quick, I guess that's what little girls do huh? Thanks for all the replys. Seems to be a great group of folks here. CCF

;-) Yep, Palomino! That Blonde tail and mane will shed out and turn white.

A good vitamin-weight supplement for the mare, that I've used successfully on some of my thinner rescue horses is called Focus WT, made by Source. It's a seameal supplement, and works great, just mix in 1/4 cup with the grain 2x a day...+ a cup of oil a day...but start the oil at 1/4 cup, 2x a day for a couple days. Some people use corn oil, some use vegetable oil (Which is usually soybean oil, masquerading as "Veggie oil" lol.)
30 days you'll have a slick, fatter mare, & shiny baby! (Had people comment on my horses, and asking what I wash them in to make them have that "Metallic" shine, which is funny, they get maybe 2-3 baths a year...with actual effort and horse shampoo! Rain baths don't count, I guess.) Another one is Clovite conditioner, more spendy than the Seameal, but adds wt. Hope this helps.

Lots of good vits out there, I like the pelleted, but any multi-vit will work.

Alan

I'll also say, she looks a lot better than she did in the other pics, but you know shes doing well when she gets weight in the hip, and starts getting a fat pocket just above the tail head.

Good looking animals!

Alan

Actually it is harder on an older horse than a younger one.

What is key is having the mare is good shape before breeding and maintaining the condition during the pregnancy.

There are some very good publications available From Texas A&M Animal Science at:

http://animalscience.tamu.edu/main/academics/equine/pubs.html

Feeding and Management of Broodmares

http://animalscience.tamu.edu/main/academics/equine/B-5025_nutrfeeding.pdf

Feeding Young Horses for Sound Development

http://animalscience.tamu.edu/main/academics/equine/B-5043_feedingyoung.pdf

Good luck with them.

I like to sprinkle a pound or so of calf manna on their grain - really packs on the weight and helps milk production too. Your mare looks like she's a tad underweight but also she appears to be just kinda "lanky" built - some just take more feed than others - just like people! She'll be fine I'm sure, but the better fed the mare the better the baby will develop - you wouldn't want to skimp on that pretty baby.

Sorry for the late response. I have not taken any more pics till last week. :( Here is a couple of the pictures from last weekend of my daughter and one of her friends riding around the farm.

First my daughter with her Mare
100_1578.jpg

Next her friend Sabrina With the Colt in tow...
100_1560.jpg

I'll try and post better pics soon. Looks like we'll be busy cutting hay this week!

Latest posts