new cow with horses?

Help Support CattleToday:

J

Reaction score
It seems to be standard protocal to keep any new cow or calf you introduce into your herd, isolated from the herd for a set amount of time so as not to contaminate your herd, right?

Is it necessary to separate a new bred cow from my horses for an amount of time, and if so for how long?
Can a horse catch something from a cow?
Probably newbie questions I know, but doesn't hurt to ask.
:?:

I would'nt worry about the Horse catching anything. My worry would be the Horses not being used to Cattle, and running it, or getting kicked.Be especially careful if you feed, horses get aggresive towards cattle at the feeder. Keep em' seperate.Our Horses go to a seperate Pasture away from Cattle in the Winter.

Hey Crowder, Isn't cattle feed a bad deal for horses if it contains urea as a protein? I always heard it could in high enough concentrations be damaging to horses. Any truth to it?

ctlbaron":2xmzuhrv said:
Hey Crowder, Isn't cattle feed a bad deal for horses if it contains urea as a protein? I always heard it could in high enough concentrations be damaging to horses. Any truth to it?
Baron, That's why ours go to a seperate Pasture, in Winter. We start putting Tubs out, and they can kill a horse.Plus with the feed in the bunks, they get into scraps with one another.IMHO. Horses and cattle dont mix well. I had a Cow get kicked in the face a few years ago. Sounded like a gun shot. Luckily, she was not hurt. Wife has the Horse department. I'd be happy not to even own any.BUT it keeps her happy....

cowboy13":1h7e3o0b said:
Our ranch horse ranmy bull off the feed the ohter day. When the bull tried to come back the horse kicked him in the side of the head. It swelled up huge and then he broked it open tryin to rub it. I HATE HORSES!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
Hey 13 aint that Dr. Evil in your Avatar? Or is it the Midget?

the only real thing you have to worry about is the horse chasing the cow.i would never put a cow horse in with cows.your asking for big trouble.scott

bigbull338":2amf93cv said:
the only real thing you have to worry about is the horse chasing the cow.i would never put a cow horse in with cows.your asking for big trouble.scott
I plan on separating my horse from the cows but right now I don't have the cross fence up to do that. I plan to build it soon though. thanks for all the responses.

last yr i rent a pasture from neighbor who had 2 horses that wanted to keep them in with my cows. Well this yr all cows that were in that pasture are about 5 months late birthing (that is how long the horse and cows were together), Think the horses are the reason?

i've seen these horse go after the bull when ever he was mounting a cow. But i never thought anything about it until these cows were late this yr????? beats me.