New cow with calf question

Help Support CattleToday:

Kell-inKY

Reaction score
This is our first calf, I had a guy who has been in cattle for 60 years come out to give me advice, he said my heifers still had a few weeks, well I got up this morning and did a head count and one was missing. I found the mama and calf in the woods bedded down, could not tell the sex of the calf, and didn't want to disturb her too much but both looked healthy.

I went home today at noon and could not find the calf, finally found mama and she was not happy to see me, she got the whole herd worked up like I was going to steal her baby. Had my Dad come out and look as well and he can't find the calf either. I will look again tonight, she was obviously trying to lead me in the wrong direction by her actions. She did not get upset until I headed for the woods.

I have them in about 3 acres of pasture and 10 acres of woods, I planned on moving them before calving but was in no hurry. My concern is coyotes. The woods are pretty thick there, and hard to find a calf in. How would I even get a new mama and calf moved? I don't know how long it takes for them to start following the mama around but it has to be a month or so. I would feel better if I could move them asap. We are not just covered up with coyotes but I did see the herd chase one clean off the field last year at a full gallop.

any advice on moving them?

here is the calf hiding behind the mama this morning
8358-70calf2.jpg

Sounds like she is a good momma and protective. I would not have a concern with her and the calf in the woods as she can hide it better there than in a wide open field. The only reason I don't like them in the woods in calving season is in case they need help. Once the calf is out I don't mind at all. The calf will start following her a few hours after birth.

Kingfisher":3i7e7mjx said:
Where would you move them to?
closer to the house, still has a lot of woods but more pasture, they are in the back corner right now which is surrounded by many acres of neighboring woods. I even chained my son's dog up just in case, he's pretty useless and has been known to kill a chicken or 2 in the past, not taking any chances. The cattle don't like him and try to stomp him into the ground anytime he is around (wish they would get lucky...)

As long as she's feeding the calf, don;t worry about it. It will give you ulcers trying to protect them from things that most likely will never happen. Be glad she's a good momma. You can bet if the yotes are running that she'll be with the calf and probably all the other cows too. RELAX. Chances are if you do find the calf it will jump up and run and usually they go through multiple fences, then you are really peckered.

Depending on how the cows are moving around, calves will start to follow after a day or 2 sometimes. If cows are contained to one area, that calf may hide for the better part of a week before you see it out at all.

They can hide in an open field too. And a cow will trick you, and act upset even if you are going in the wrong direction, just to throw you off. She'll also disappear into those woods faster then you can imagine, and be gone without a sound. Amazing really.

I looked for one in the woods for a hour the other day . Cow was acting like I was too close for comfort but she has never came at me . I walked all over that calf and would have never seen it if it didn't stand up . It was a brown calf laying by a dead pine tree. They hide better than you think .

I read a news story the other day about a dairy cow that was hiding her calves they said it was because the evil farmer :cowboy: had taken her calves away for so many years. You must have an old dairy cow or maybe she has had a cow conversation with one or who knows how she learned how to hide her calf , but according to the liberal news media they ain't suppose to do such a thing :bang: :bang:

I like to see my calves also but give her a couple days an every thing will be fine just sounds like a good momma to me.

For heifers I like to have them in the calving pen at least 2 to 4 weeks prior to calving if at all possible. With heifers, anything can go wrong. And it will.

That being said, this heifer of yours has already done the deed and she is mothering quite well. I would let her be. As long as she appears to have been nursed (bag looks nursed at times) then you know the calf is getting his dinner.

For the other heifers, though, I would get them into a calving pen when they are looking close. That way, if one needs help, you are able to jump in.

She will probably be ok, but if you really want to find her tie that dog into the bed of your truck and drive out there I bet she goes straight to the calf. If you want to move a cow grab the calf and sit on the tailgate and drive slow that cow will follow you. This is why I like Hereford or baldies that white face is usually easy to spot.

Thanks guys, I will move them all as soon as I can. Don't want any more born there, and mama is still protective, nursing good! The bull is hanging around an awful lot though, did not expect that, he is licking on the calf, I did not expect any interest from him? In fact the whole crew is in on it.
8358-70calf3.jpg

Congrats. Nice looking calf from your heifer.
The calving facilities are similar to mine.

Took a head count before work this morning and one was missing, went to find her and found this stocky bull calf on wobbly legs. Guess I will learn how to band, I will probably start a new thread but in case someone reads this one? the calving will be strung out over a month or more. There seems to be no consensus on when to castrate from my reading? Work them all at one time? (only 5 total) or get them while easy to catch (or are the nuts too small to band right off the bat?)
8358-71calf1.jpg

Some have really small nuts at birth making them hard to band, most are plenty big enough to find easily though.

dun":2o2f0iwy said:
Some have really small nuts at birth making them hard to band, most are plenty big enough to find easily though.

If you have the facilities and can catch your animals easy enough, i wait until about 2 months. I have banded them shortly after birth and dun is right, they can be small, or you may have to work them down into the bag. Just sure you have 2 in the sack before removing your bander. Real easy to short sack them and have one draw back up on you. Good luck.

If the cow is quiet and the calf is nursing, slip the bander over the sack and jiggle it a bit. Let off some pressure on the banding pliers and feel with your other hand if both are below the band. If so, let the remaining pressure off the pliers and catch the band with your thumbnail a bit, as you work the pliers out from under the band. Quick and easy and the nuts tend to stay down better while they stand and are occupied, rather than tossing them on the ground and struggling.. But sometimes thats what ya gotta do.

Kell-inKY":9wrih5sm said:
Took a head count before work this morning and one was missing, went to find her and found this stocky bull calf on wobbly legs. Guess I will learn how to band, I will probably start a new thread but in case someone reads this one? the calving will be strung out over a month or more. There seems to be no consensus on when to castrate from my reading? Work them all at one time? (only 5 total) or get them while easy to catch (or are the nuts too small to band right off the bat?)
8358-71calf1.jpg

Kell you have got some very nice looking heifers and it looks like they're going to throw you a nice crop of calfs. Can I make a suggestion. I would get them away from the pond if possible. Heifers can be pretty stupid at times. They are young and inexperienced and don't know what is going on or what they are supposed to do. One could either get into the pond during while in labor or have the calf to close to the water and it might stumble into the pond and drown. I hope the rest come as trouble free as your first two did.

Latest posts