new colt

Help Support CattleToday:

Carlos D.

Reaction score
I.m expecting a colt --can someone tell me--when the teats wax up is it on the tip or all over the teat?????---Question ---when a colt is a week old can it take the same kind of weather its mom can ----I;m in canada it can get to-40 all our horses have always wintered outside thanx

carl

It will be on the ends. I keep my mare and colt in a 100x50 lot with a barn, just to keep them away from the other stock for about a week then I turn them in with every one else, no barn or loafing shed, just the thick piney woods.

Here in Iowa we get some nasty weather during foaling. For the first few days we keep them inside if the weather is bad. Then we let them go in and out for about a week, then let them into the rest of the herd. The "wax" will be on the ends of her swollen teats. You won't miss it.

Milk her, and when the milk gets cloudy get ready. Usually works but I've had some that's milk didn't come down till baby came.

rc":a1jl7uz6 said:
Milk her, and when the milk gets cloudy get ready. Usually works but I've had some that's milk didn't come down till baby came.
With all other animals if you open the milk tracts before their ready ---It's inviting a route for disease, and germs, like mastitis ect. is this not so with horses ??

carl

If it is I have never had a problem. Live and learn though. I've had em squirting milk by themselves they were so full.

Congrats Carlos!

We need pictures!

I had an 'old timer tell me once that mother nature determines what day a mare will foal, but she determines the time.

RC, don't you worry about milking off the colostrum from the mare?

it's just something we've always done. Not talking about anything more than a squirt in your hand. We have never had a problem but I am not a vet, just someone that's had and been around a lot of mare's foaling. I would hate to give the wrong advice and it's always best to listen to your vet.

Latest posts